Tip shape

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is some info from a "buyers" perspective. Over the past 10 years sales of Last4Ever Tip Tools have been 2 to 1 Dime over Nickel. But, what I find interesting is that the European pros all choose the Nickel radius while the majority of Americans choose Dime.

Most likely has to do with playing style but I found that interesting.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell you one thing (and imo it doesn't matter what shape your tip is, etc...it's more about the quality and accuracy of your stroke), as far as tip tools out there, the Last4Ever tip tools are the best available anywhere. The name says it all! :grin-square:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Here is some info from a "buyers" perspective. Over the past 10 years sales of Last4Ever Tip Tools have been 2 to 1 Dime over Nickel. But, what I find interesting is that the European pros all choose the Nickel radius while the majority of Americans choose Dime.

Most likely has to do with playing style but I found that interesting.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also believe that if a player hits off center on a regular basis it will effect the shape of tip just like if a player hit cb dead center every shot it would effect the tip in opposite way.

Not really. Aside from cutting or otherwise shaping the tip, chalking habits are the #1 factor in your tips shape by a mile.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

CaptainPots

Registered
With a rounder tip you need less tip offset from centre cueball to get the same English compared to a less round tip.

Hence with a very round tip, any unwanted tip offset can result in noticeable unwanted English making you either miss your shot, mess up your positioning or both. At the same time it also means you should be able to generate more extreme English at the miscue limit.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell you one thing (and imo it doesn't matter what shape your tip is, etc...it's more about the quality and accuracy of your stroke), as far as tip tools out there, the Last4Ever tip tools are the best available anywhere. The name says it all! :grin-square:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

That said, as one that is constantly working on the quality and accuracy of my stroke, IMO I consider the dime radius less forgiving for those hits when the stoke is less than desired.
I can get away with (best term I can think of) a dime radius on anything in the soft of medium tip ranges; however, it's a nickel for me on a (preferred) hard tip.

Personally, it's about focus and the discipline/challenge of shooting like it matters even when it doesn't. In practice or friendly games, I have miscued before I realize I am just going through the motions.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a rounder tip you need less tip offset from centre cueball to get the same English compared to a less round tip.

Not true. With the same offset you get the same amount of spin, all a "pointier" tip does is let you visualize the contact point better hence it may seem to you you are hitting a different spot on the CB compared to a flatter tip. You're really not.

Julian

CaptainPots

Registered
Hmm I’m not sure if we are talking about different things.

What I was talking about is discussed here in the diagram titled “Same tip for all three”.
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/cue_tip.html#size

Not true. With the same offset you get the same amount of spin, all a "pointier" tip does is let you visualize the contact point better hence it may seem to you you are hitting a different spot on the CB compared to a flatter tip. You're really not.

Julian

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm I’m not sure if we are talking about different things.

What I was talking about is discussed here in the diagram titled “Same tip for all three”.
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/cue_tip.html#size
I'm aware of the article and it supports what I said. Quote from the article:

"This might make some people think they are getting more or less english with different size and shape tips." (implied - but it doesn't). See also the second comment from Patrick at he and of the article.

Julian

CaptainPots

Registered
“It may also be easier to control small amounts of sidespin since more cue offset is required to create more sidespin, as compared to a rounder tip.”

However, based on Patrick’s diagram and second comment, it seems that dime vs nickel has no significant difference in the amount of sidespin produced for a given tip offset.

I agree with you on that and that is the relevant answer to the OP’s question.

But on a side note, what if we make a more extreme comparison between tip shape like, Johann Chua’s Tip (in the photo of someone’s reply) vs a lowly-maintened tip that is flatter than a nickel size? I wonder if Patrick did a similar analysis, would the conclusion change a great deal?

I'm aware of the article and it supports what I said. Quote from the article:

"This might make some people think they are getting more or less english with different size and shape tips." (implied - but it doesn't). See also the second comment from Patrick at he and of the article.

Julian

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool players overthink sh*t.

Maniac

280144-jack-nicholson-eyebrow-wiggle.gif

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool players overthink sh*t.

Maniac

I agree. Nickel or Dime and a slightly flatter tip for Break and jump cues is what I do.
That seems to work, the people with most misscues seems to be the ones that has a crazy bow on their tip, like the picture on the first page of this thread, or the ones that don`t trim their newly installed layered tip down to size.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I've given it a lot of thought and I agree with Maniac.

I was going to say that, but then I figured I'd let it simmer and get back to ya tomorrow.

I've often replied to the "you think too much" line with: "You think so?"

Jeff Livingston