got my mezz ignite shaft

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always kind of scoffed at CF shafts (they look silly and cheap to me), but it's hard to ignore all the top tier players you see making the switch. I pre-ordered this mezz CF shaft a while ago with the intent to try it out and then sell it when I I didn't like the hit. Problem is, I actually really like the hit. Hits better than most LD wood shafts I've ever played with. I really disliked the ping of the revo hit, and figured this would be more of the same, but it really surprised me. I'm not a fan of the look of carbon fiber shafts, but I may have to get over it now. For reference, mine is wavy joint and I'm just playing with the Zan medium tip it came with. I would recommend that anybody who is curious about the properties of carbon fiber shafts but dislike the hit of the revo try to find one of these to hit with.

Here are some speculative stats based on my few days playing with it:
-deflection is a bit less than the HP2 I was playing with before it. Probably a bit more than a revo but hard to tell (I've only really hit a handful of balls with a revo)
-the cue ball travels further than with a wood shaft from the same hit. I honestly used to think people talking about the "energy transfer" phenomenon of CF shafts were just drinking the koolaid, but it appears to be a real thing. This is the biggest adjustment I've had to make, actually.
-it's a 12.2mm diameter tip with a pretty long pro taper, which is a bit skinny for my taste and will also be an adjustment for me. If they ever come out with a 12.5 I'll be all over it.

Anyway just wanted to let any inquiring minds know that there is a carbon fiber shaft out there with a great hit.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I have always kind of scoffed at CF shafts (they look silly and cheap to me), but it's hard to ignore all the top tier players you see making the switch. I pre-ordered this mezz CF shaft a while ago with the intent to try it out and then sell it when I I didn't like the hit. Problem is, I actually really like the hit. Hits better than most LD wood shafts I've ever played with. I really disliked the ping of the revo hit, and figured this would be more of the same, but it really surprised me. I'm not a fan of the look of carbon fiber shafts, but I may have to get over it now. For reference, mine is wavy joint and I'm just playing with the Zan medium tip it came with. I would recommend that anybody who is curious about the properties of carbon fiber shafts but dislike the hit of the revo try to find one of these to hit with.

Here are some speculative stats based on my few days playing with it:
-deflection is a bit less than the HP2 I was playing with before it. Probably a bit more than a revo but hard to tell (I've only really hit a handful of balls with a revo)
-the cue ball travels further than with a wood shaft from the same hit. I honestly used to think people talking about the "energy transfer" phenomenon of CF shafts were just drinking the koolaid, but it appears to be a real thing. This is the biggest adjustment I've had to make, actually.
-it's a 12.2mm diameter tip with a pretty long pro taper, which is a bit skinny for my taste and will also be an adjustment for me. If they ever come out with a 12.5 I'll be all over it.

Anyway just wanted to let any inquiring minds know that there is a carbon fiber shaft out there with a great hit.

I tried it a little bit (abouit 20 shots or so). It does feel more like a wooden shaft than any other cf shaft I've tried. I'd need more time to determine if I like it or not, but it did look promising. On the other hand, with typical Mezz pricing, there's simply no way for me to afford it at this time. As for the energy transfer thing, I didn't really notice that huge of a difference, but maybe With more playing it would be more apparent.

Last edited:

cer0286

Registered
I got mine as well a week ago. I agree with the energy transfer. I was over hitting shots for a while. Its really amazing how little effort it takes to get a lot of action. The feel is very good as well. I'm coming from a WX900 shaft.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got mine as well a week ago. I agree with the energy transfer. I was over hitting shots for a while. Its really amazing how little effort it takes to get a lot of action. The feel is very good as well. I'm coming from a WX900 shaft.
I'm very interested in how the hit/feel and particularly the degree of deflection compares to the Mezz WX900 shaft you're coming from playing with? I am also playing with the WX900 - which I far prefer over the Mezz EXPro shaft I was previously playing with, mainly due to the significant decrease in deflection I'm experiencing with the WX900 shaft.

I was told by Caroline at Mezz USA that the Mezz Ignite shaft likely deflects slightly more than the WX900 shaft. If that's the case, I see no reason to switch, unless the feel and the energy transfer as described by a few of you here, makes that big of a difference?

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I'd really like to get one as I own or owned all of the CF shafts at one point. Problem is I don't want to buy a whole new cue just to try this shaft. Only possible scenerio I can see is a trade eventually.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
...but it's hard to ignore all the top tier players you see making the switch...

It's a somewhat conflicted situation. You see most of the top tier players using them but then you hear everyone saying the advantages, if any, are marginal. It's not until I stop to consider the marketing and sponsorship aspect that's at work here, that things begin to make more sense...

As far as I can tell, from all my research and reading reviews, their real advantages are mainly their "low-maintenance" qualities, such as durability, impervious to warp-age, and they don't "absorb" chalk residue like wood.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a somewhat conflicted situation. You see most of the top tier players using them but then you hear everyone saying the advantages, if any, are marginal. It's not until I stop to consider the marketing and sponsorship aspect that's at work here, that things begin to make more sense...

As far as I can tell, from all my research and reading reviews, their real advantages are mainly their "low-maintenance" qualities, such as durability, impervious to warp-age, and they don't "absorb" chalk residue like wood.

Yeah the low maintenance factor is a big draw for me also.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm loving my Cuetec Cynergy.. But I would really like to try the Ignite. I love Mezz. Their Technology and Engineering is great.

CaptainPots

Registered
How is the variation in deflection from soft to medium to hard shots? Some shafts' deflection don't change too much between medium and hard shots while others are horrible in this regard. How does the ignite do?

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is the variation in deflection from soft to medium to hard shots? Some shafts' deflection don't change too much between medium and hard shots while others are horrible in this regard. How does the ignite do?

It's comparable to most other LD shafts I've played with I guess. Obviously the harder you hit it the more it will deflect. I would suggest hitting with one before purchasing. This isn't the lowest deflection shaft on the market for sure, but I'm a big fan the hit (even more so know that I've switched to a softer tip) and the low maintenance factor is a big draw. This shaft was nice for me because I barely had to adjust from my HP2, but if you're looking for like zero deflection and don't care as much about the hit, revo is probably better.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

From what I understand about deflection, mostly from reading Dr Dave's stuff, the only reason deflection is less with softer shots is that the cue ball can curve back when it's hit softer. It doesn't make sense, as far as I know, for one shaft's deflection to vary more between softer and harder hits than another shaft. My guess is that if a shaft appears to have a lot more deflection on harder shots, it just has more deflection period.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you change your mind about the shaft and it's their large pin joint, send me a PM, my son may be interested in it.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you change your mind about the shaft and it's their large pin joint, send me a PM, my son may be interested in it.

I'm not interested in selling as I just sold all my other shafts and anticipate having this one for a very long time. I heard they will be available again from mezz in August. It really is a quality product, I've gotten a lot of inquiries after letting a few people hit with it at my home room. I know somebody who got one early through J&J cues, it might be worth giving them a call to check availability.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah the low maintenance factor is a big draw for me also.
I've already got a fortune tied up in my Mezz EXPro shafts I'm not using and in my Mezz WX900 shafts I currently am using. If I'm hearing correctly that the Mezz Ignite shaft deflects more than the WX900, I see no reason to even give it a try. Maintenance is not an issue for me - I try to take immaculate care of my pool equipment - better than I do myself!

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've already got a fortune tied up in my Mezz EXPro shafts I'm not using and in my Mezz WX900 shafts I currently am using. If I'm hearing correctly that the Mezz Ignite shaft deflects more than the WX900, I see no reason to even give it a try. Maintenance is not an issue for me - I try to take immaculate care of my pool equipment - better than I do myself!

There is pretty high demand for used mezz stuff I've never had an issue selling any and I've always gotten reasonable offers.

I try to take good care of my equipment too, but I can't stop myself from the occasional shaft smack on the table when I'm playing bad. Actually my last cue I tried to smack my HP2 on the table hard enough to break it, not realizing it had a carbon fiber core. It broke my 31" custom butt right below the pin. I quit for a year after that. I'm usually pretty even-keeled but there was some alcohol involved...