Found a brunswick table and need opinions

jprochnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So i'm set to close on a home next week and I finally am going to have the space for a pool table. I have searching local ads and found a 9 ft brunswick manhatten pool table for a pretty reasonable price. Does anyone have experience with this table? Is it similar to the gold crown play-ability? I do know the table has seen very little use in the 15 years that it has been owned. I went and looked at it today and its very clean and the felt still is original and doesn't look like much play as well. I'm going to be having a company move it to my new home as I have never moved a table before and with the price of this table new I don't want to mess it up.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So i'm set to close on a home next week and I finally am going to have the space for a pool table. I have searching local ads and found a 9 ft brunswick manhatten pool table for a pretty reasonable price. Does anyone have experience with this table? Is it similar to the gold crown play-ability? I do know the table has seen very little use in the 15 years that it has been owned. I went and looked at it today and its very clean and the felt still is original and doesn't look like much play as well. I'm going to be having a company move it to my new home as I have never moved a table before and with the price of this table new I don't want to mess it up.
Are you talking about the space-ship lookin Manhattan?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brunswick-Manhattan-9-Pool-Table-Billiards-/303137675639 The also made an antique model of same name. For what the modern version sells for you could get a real nice Gold Crown and have a lot left over. The new one is NO GC.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Be selective with the mover/installer. You might want to replace cushions while table is broken down.

jprochnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah its in a commercial setting and had a custom tabletop made for it as the company used it for conference table from time to time. I rolled a ball a few times on it and rails seem to be in good shape as well. The ball rolled true as well. They are looking to just get the space back in that particular room. I did receive a quote for disassembly and move from one city to another city 2 hours away and so far it looks like it will cost 1k to move and reset up.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah its in a commercial setting and had a custom tabletop made for it as the company used it for conference table from time to time. I rolled a ball a few times on it and rails seem to be in good shape as well. The ball rolled true as well. They are looking to just get the space back in that particular room. I did receive a quote for disassembly and move from one city to another city 2 hours away and so far it looks like it will cost 1k to move and reset up.
You may have scored a helluva deal.

jprochnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing as I don't play in tourneys and really this is just a table to get me to play again I think it will fit well. For the price I couldn't even get a 9ft furniture table in this kind of condition. Next question since the felt looks like it wasn't used much what when is it recommended for swapping it out? I know moving the table would be a ideal time to. Does felt go bad without use?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing as I don't play in tourneys and really this is just a table to get me to play again I think it will fit well. For the price I couldn't even get a 9ft furniture table in this kind of condition. Next question since the felt looks like it wasn't used much what when is it recommended for swapping it out? I know moving the table would be a ideal time to. Does felt go bad without use?

If you shop around and are patient you can get a Gold Crown for $1K.

As to you question on the cloth, it all depends what it was subject to. Was it in direct sunlight ever? Was the table covered when not in use? How old is the cloth? If 15 years old, replace it. If the history is unknown, best practice is to replace it.

$1K seems a little steep to teardown, deliver and setup with new cloth. Where are you located? Where is the table located? Perhaps post in the Mechanic's Section to see if there is a proper mechanic in your neck of the woods that can quote the job.

Last edited:

jprochnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did a quick look in the mechanics section and didn't see any in the Wisconsin region or maybe I missed it. Anyone aware of someone? I'm looking forward to getting this in the basement and hitting some balls. As for the felt it does look original. The room it's installed in has no windows and is on the ground floor of a office building away from sunlight.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure I like all the cables under the table. Where am I going to store all my stuff.

Any table is better than no table.