What is your Guy's opionion on the Joss COM cue

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I have I guess always liked this cue because it is the '' Balabushka '' used in the movie TCOM lol , When Eddie hands the stick to Vincent it just looked like a cool cue. I have to admit that I was a kid when the Movie came out and Bought a Adam/Balabuhska replica because of this movie. I was just a few years ago that I learned that the actual Cue was indeed a Joss , now called a N7 I believe. It is a beautiful cue that has the old school Balabushka look, I see 2 different versions with one having a longer butt cap and one shorter, I prefer the longer one as it looks more like the movie cue. What is your guy's thought's on this Cue. I was the one who made the Adam Balabushka thread and it seems that those Adam cues do not hold a very decent re-sale value. Other words if you buy one worth the money that is great but they do not seem to sell really good so you would want to buy on basis of keeping it from what I have read, That being said would the Joss be a better buy as far as re-sale , do Joss make a good cue these day's. Would this cue hold it's value better than say a Adam cue would, I know the older Joss cues was on par but not familiar with the new ones, I am bored and just throwing this out there , Sorry for the post . I still love the Adam Balabushka look and I am getting one just thought I would see what you guys think of this cue, I watched the movie last night and brought back memories,https://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/joss/JOSN7.html , Thanks

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless your looking at really hi-end stuff don't worry about re-sale. Buy it 'cause you like and to play with. Unless you luck onto a good deal the Japanese-built ADAM 'bushka's are getting too pricey for what they are. I'd rather have the JOSS myself.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Garczar , The Adams bushka's are as close as I will ever get to a Balabushka in that regard, But at the end it is still replica and only worth what someone is willing to pay for it . Where as the Joss is a well known cue maker and this is a legendary model that would be worth what it is . But then again those Adam Bala's are not as easy to find. Hawaiian Eye has the perfect mint example of one I have seen.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I dont like it. The points are thinner and shorter than standard and it looks "off".

But besides that, its my favorite cue of all time ofcourse. The cue is etched in my mind. Simple, classic, timeless design.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I like the j-18 model personally. There are multiple variants of that cue, known of them are identical to the one in the movie.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the j-18 model personally. There are multiple variants of that cue, known of them are identical to the one in the movie.

I spoke to Mr Dan Janes , who is by the way a super nice fellow and I enjoyed our conversation . He told me that they will never make a exact copy of that Cue for the fact the someone could be dishonest and try to say it was the from the movie and sell it for a lot of money. The new one with the longer butt cap looks closest yet . I really like the look of that Cue , it is a cool looking . It has that old school vibe.

Which one would hit better - Adam / Balabushka or a Joss ?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
At least four variants, not counting the original.

I prefer the ones with the Hoppe ring. YMMV

Good luck whatever way you go.

Hello ,

I have I guess always liked this cue because it is the '' Balabushka '' used in the movie TCOM lol , When Eddie hands the stick to Vincent it just looked like a cool cue. I have to admit that I was a kid when the Movie came out and Bought a Adam/Balabuhska replica because of this movie. I was just a few years ago that I learned that the actual Cue was indeed a Joss , now called a N7 I believe. It is a beautiful cue that has the old school Balabushka look, I see 2 different versions with one having a longer butt cap and one shorter, I prefer the longer one as it looks more like the movie cue. What is your guy's thought's on this Cue. I was the one who made the Adam Balabushka thread and it seems that those Adam cues do not hold a very decent re-sale value. Other words if you buy one worth the money that is great but they do not seem to sell really good so you would want to buy on basis of keeping it from what I have read, That being said would the Joss be a better buy as far as re-sale , do Joss make a good cue these day's. Would this cue hold it's value better than say a Adam cue would, I know the older Joss cues was on par but not familiar with the new ones, I am bored and just throwing this out there , Sorry for the post . I still love the Adam Balabushka look and I am getting one just thought I would see what you guys think of this cue, I watched the movie last night and brought back memories,https://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/joss/JOSN7.html , Thanks

Some might not agree, but I think that the resale values on Adam cues are actually better then the resale values of Joss cues.

The Joss is probably a better quality cue though.

Off topic, but I would much rather have a Schon then a Joss.

Even though that is The Color of Money cue, I do not think it is in the classic Bushka style.

If you like classic Bushka style, then get an Adam Balabushka. Don't get one of the newer ones from China though. Get an older Adam / Japan one. They are much nicer in my opinion, and really good quality.

Sorry for going off topic again, but if you can afford that price of that N7, then for just a little more money, you could get a far better hitting cue, in my opinion. Like this Schon for example.

https://www.seyberts.com/schon-stl-series-cues/schon-stl6-pool-cue/

I have very rarely had a Joss cue that I enjoyed the hit of, but every single Schon cue that I ever played with hit super solid, very nice, and very similar to each other. In my experience, Schon cues hit very similar to each other. That is not the case with Joss cues. They all hit different, in my experience with having many over the years. Not sure about the newer Joss cues though. Most of the ones I ever had were 90's era, or older. The newer ones have the Joss logo on the shaft too, I believe. I still much prefer Schon over Joss though, and resale and demand is much higher with Schon cues.

Back on the topic of Bushka style cues. Here is one that I really love, but it is very expensive.

https://www.omegabilliards.com/Predator_Limited_Edition_WILLIE_4_p/3933.htm

Last edited:
I spoke to Mr Dan Janes , who is by the way a super nice fellow and I enjoyed our conversation . He told me that they will never make a exact copy of that Cue for the fact the someone could be dishonest and try to say it was the from the movie and sell it for a lot of money. The new one with the longer butt cap looks closest yet . I really like the look of that Cue , it is a cool looking . It has that old school vibe.

Which one would hit better - Adam / Balabushka or a Joss ?

If it were me, I would chose the Adam over the Joss.

Also, notice that the very top points of the Joss cues are not sharp. The Adam Balabushka points are super sharp, going all the way up, to every last veneer, so I think they are much sharper looking then Joss cues.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were me, I would chose the Adam over the Joss.

Also, notice that the very top points of the Joss cues are not sharp. The Adam Balabushka points are super sharp, going all the way up, to every last veneer, so I think they are much sharper looking then Joss cues.
JOSS can make rounded CNC points or sharp old-school veneers. The points on their current hand-made stuff are very well done.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

FWIW IMHO AFAIK the COM cue was never intended to look like a Balabushka really. The design was chosen because it would show up on camera well.

The Adam Balabushka copies carry value because of GBs name, that's all. Not that they aren't good cues.

One of the advantages in a modern Joss is the fully cored butt. It isn't a straight dowel. It is a stepped core with the parts sleeved over and held in compression by the threaded joint collar and threaded butt cap. Nobody else builds cues that way.

Buy what you like. Play what you like. Like what you buy. Like what you play.

One could argue that there are many, many cues in the "Balabushka style".

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW IMHO AFAIK the COM cue was never intended to look like a Balabushka really. The design was chosen because it would show up on camera well.

The Adam Balabushka copies carry value because of GBs name, that's all. Not that they aren't good cues.

One of the advantages in a modern Joss is the fully cored butt. It isn't a straight dowel. It is a stepped core with the parts sleeved over and held in compression by the threaded joint collar and threaded butt cap. Nobody else builds cues that way.

Buy what you like. Play what you like. Like what you buy. Like what you play.

One could argue that there are many, many cues in the "Balabushka style".

Does that make for a better Cue, what does that do by fully coring the butt, does it give a better balance , My son bought one of Bob Meucci's custom cue's the Pro 4 I think It is called. It has a big pin just like a McDermott and the shaft has wood threads no metal at all but It plays like a dream. That is the best balanced cue I have ever played with and the Pro Shaft seems to play really well with it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does that make for a better Cue, what does that do by fully coring the butt, does it give a better balance , My son bought one of Bob Meucci's custom cue's the Pro 4 I think It is called. It has a big pin just like a McDermott and the shaft has wood threads no metal at all but It plays like a dream. That is the best balanced cue I have ever played with and the Pro Shaft seems to play really well with it.
Coring keeps a cue straight, especially when fancy/unstable woods are used. Look, you're gonna get a million different replies to all your questions. Go test hit some cues and buy what YOU like not what somebody else likes. The Meucci Pro series are very good playing cues. Durability would be my only concern. Quality control over the yrs has not been the best. At times almost non-existent.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True on that . Meucci quality control is wishful thinking . My repair guy hates Meucci , just because of the problems and them not taking care off the situation's. I do not have the Luxury of hitting 1st so that is why I ask the questions. He also tells me that he is a big fan of Joss due to the Pricing and told me that they tend to not sale as well around here. He said he was a fan of the older stuff but the new cues are priced to high and he does not sell very many at all.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

Join the Joss Color of Money Cue N7/N18 Facebook page.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you got in there?

In here?...….DOOM

Come on...let's play.

Yeah, let's play. We're gonna have a lot of fun...