Anyone familiar with 3/8-10 thread dimensions?

jprochnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need some dimension for this thread type. I need the major diameter, minor diameter, length, pitch, and angle. Anyone know these? I know major is 3/8 but dont know the others. Using it to design a cue to be made on a cnc machine.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
In your very first post you stated that you were a student.
This is a very simple equation with some knowledge of Geometry.
Here's some hints :

The major, as you know, is 3/8" (.375").
The pitch is 10.
It's cut at 60 degrees.
That means that the thread itself is an equal lateral triangle.

No, I won't do your homework for you. :smile: :cool: :wink:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> Is this the normal 3/8-10 like a McD,or the modified Acme type?

For the McD style,the angle is the typical 60 degree v-thread.

Using .6495/pitch,the single depth of the thread is .0649,or just make it .065.

.065 x 2 = .130

.375-.130 = .245 Minor dia

Pitch is the number of threads per inch.

For cutting this on a manual lathe,using the standard .708/pitch,the infeed on the compound should be .070. Using a CNC with conversational controls,all you need is the major (make it .375,you may need to deburr it after threading) minor (.245),and TPI.

Throw me some rep if this helps,Tommy D.

jprochnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for your help guys. Its not homework but I want to make the drawing and cnc programing correct so I dont have to go back into it and change it.

Heres a pic of what my forearm looks like so far. Trying to save weight wherever I can.

Attachments

• forarm.jpg
    forarm.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 156

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
>

Throw me some rep if this helps,Tommy D.

You should have made the deal for the rep before you gave him the 'instant gratification'. Besides, the guy's got no rep to give, he's a newbie.
Tell ya what. I appreciate a lot of the tech. stuff you've shared and should have given rep for it then. I can probably hit you a little harder now anyway, so you got it.
Don't spend it all in one place. Thanx Tommy-D. :wink:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> Jeez,what program is that he's running? Mastercam?

GibbsCAM is the only one I've ever had a chance to use,but my training with it was VERY limited. My instructor was only 1-2 steps ahead of me on it,but do have a certificate of proficiency in it thanks to playing with it.

The forearm he's drawn looks kinda similar to the all-ivory Schon that Archer had.

Glad I was able to help him,and anyone else. I was taught most of the machining stuff like calculating thread depth and infeed by a serious tech-head of an instructor,and asked by him that in return for him teaching me well,that I pass it on.

Once I get some equipment/materials and a place to put it,I'm going to be dangerous :rolleyes:. Tommy D.