Would this be a good practice routine?

GodinSession

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have only been playing for about 9 months or so now. I have my own table, so practice just about everyday. I joined my local 8 ball APA league a couple months after getting my table. I just finished my second session. Of course I need big improvement in every part of my game, but I feel like my mechanics\fundamentals are pretty solid. I have done a lot of work on them. I have been told that my stroke is very good for what that is worth.
I think my biggest struggle right now is just consistent ball pocketing in general. Lately I have been setting up shots, and shooting the same shot until I make it 30 times. Not in a row, but shoot it until I make it 30 times, then move to another shot. When I do this I am not concerning myself with cueball postition. Mostly just hitting center of cueball at same speed, simply trying to consistently make the shot and see the angle.
I was thinking though, that perhaps I should just randomly throw out three balls and run three ball patterns. When I miss a shot, set it up and shoot it until I make it 30 times. But when I do this, should I have a target for the cueball in mind as well. Or at this point in my learning process should I just be concerned making the ball? Do I shoot it until I make it AND land in the target 30 times? This could take quite a while to do 30 times.
I guess my main question is, if my biggest weakness right now is just ball pocketing in general, then should I concentrate on ball pocketing without worrying about cueball postioning? Then work on cueball positioning separately. Or when I work on ball pocketing, at the same time work on cueball positioning?
Thanks for your input...

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I miss them, I see a lot of league and local tourney players miss basic shots as well. These are easy shots, hit wrong.

I found I missed basic shots many times due to lack of focus.

The drill I do for that now is to throw all the balls randomly on the table and make them all in any order. All the while maintaining the pre shot routine. Make them all, throw out another set of 15. See how many you can put in, in a row.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Different Perspective

I take a different perspective on practice that I haven't seen anyone else
adopt but it sure works for me and here it is.

Distance is really big in Pool because of the Parallax on shots. Simply put, when
you view a shot the Cue Ball is closer to your eye than the Object Ball and distance
adds to that confusion for precision delivery. The Cue Ball appears much larger
than the Object.

Your cue stick is 4.5 diamonds long at 58 inches. Therefore the shaft is 2.25 diamonds
long. Considering that, it would be pretty easy to divide the shots up by diamond
distance and I do.

I practice shots at 1, 2, 3 and 4 diamonds of distance from the Cue Ball to the Object
Ball. At your state of the game I'd play them with Center English.

When you start learning Side Spin you might consider the allowances needed at different distances
and give
my material a look over because the perceptions that I use in Center Ball Pocketing
apply for when using Side Spin and that makes it a lot easier by having a familiar
technique for both Center Ball shots and Side Spin. In fact I'm the only author that has an
Original Aiming Technique whose shot perceptions cover Center Ball and Side Spin applications.

Last edited:

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I miss them, I see a lot of league and local tourney players miss basic shots as well. These are easy shots, hit wrong.

The drill I do for that now is to throw all the balls randomly on the table and make them all in any order. All the while maintaining the pre shot routine. Make them all, throw out another set of 15. See how many you can put in, in a row.

How many can you make in a run? I have been doing this very thing. I guess it's straight pool? I am frustrated because I haven't run all 15 lol. I have made 11 three times and the last time, I made 14, made the last one, but friggin scratched lol. Seems to me, I should have an easier time of running 15 straight pool. Seems every time, I hang it up in the hole on a shot I "should" have made easily.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
How many can you make in a run? I have been doing this very thing. I guess it's straight pool? I am frustrated because I haven't run all 15 lol. I have made 11 three times and the last time, I made 14, made the last one, but friggin scratched lol. Seems to me, I should have an easier time of running 15 straight pool. Seems every time, I hang it up in the hole on a shot I "should" have made easily.

It's not straight pool by any stretch. Straight pool requires break outs and much more strategy.

My best is 70 balls. I'm gonna scapegoat, my dog is constantly sharking me w a toy though.

I brought this drill up last year on the forum and there were a couple people who said they could do it endlessly.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have only been playing for about 9 months or so now. I have my own table, so practice just about everyday. I joined my local 8 ball APA league a couple months after getting my table. I just finished my second session. Of course I need big improvement in every part of my game, but I feel like my mechanics\fundamentals are pretty solid. I have done a lot of work on them. I have been told that my stroke is very good for what that is worth.
I think my biggest struggle right now is just consistent ball pocketing in general. Lately I have been setting up shots, and shooting the same shot until I make it 30 times. Not in a row, but shoot it until I make it 30 times, then move to another shot. When I do this I am not concerning myself with cueball postition. Mostly just hitting center of cueball at same speed, simply trying to consistently make the shot and see the angle.
I was thinking though, that perhaps I should just randomly throw out three balls and run three ball patterns. When I miss a shot, set it up and shoot it until I make it 30 times. But when I do this, should I have a target for the cueball in mind as well. Or at this point in my learning process should I just be concerned making the ball? Do I shoot it until I make it AND land in the target 30 times? This could take quite a while to do 30 times.
I guess my main question is, if my biggest weakness right now is just ball pocketing in general, then should I concentrate on ball pocketing without worrying about cueball postioning? Then work on cueball positioning separately. Or when I work on ball pocketing, at the same time work on cueball positioning?
Thanks for your input...

First step, if you are trying to learn it all on your own at home, don't. Find some good players or maybe even an instructor and have them check over your stance and alignment. The worst thing I did for my game and what I see others do, is start playing and focus on making balls first before they learn how to stand and deliver the cue properly. Now I miss a ton of shots that are easy to others because my alignment is off and my stroke goes to the right, even though I spent years trying to train myself out of it. Every player I see that is stuck at a low level is there because they don't know how to stand and line up the cue not because they don't know how to aim.n Since it's not too easy to see what you are doing wrong while playing, or see what you may need to change, getting a second person to look over how you play is what you want to do. Then worry about actually making balls and playing position.

CaptainPots

Registered

This is the drill I recommend the amateur players on my team who are trying to get their game to the next level. This drill is appropriate because you encounter all sorts of shots, you have many balls to choose from hence positional play isn't that important, and you gain a lot of confidence when you can clear the balls effortlessly once you get into the rhythm. On an amateur level, developing potting confidence and instinct is rather important and can be developed using this drill!

Good luck!

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I do something similar. I throw 7 balls out and shoot them in rotation. It's not uncommon to get to the table in a rotation game with 7 or less balls on the table. I start with ball in hand but not a gimme shot. Good exercise on getting out.

I play all of the games but just love rotation.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Not in a row, but shoot it until I make it 30 times, then move to another shot. When I do this I am not concerning myself with cueball postition. ...
That's a mistake. If you do that you have not formed a complete shot in your mind. You should be trying to put the cue ball in a specific place on all shots.

There are lots of good drills on Dr. Dave's website along with lots of other good info. The Billiard University "exams" serve as good drills.

It sounds like you're fairly serious about pool. You should find an instructor to make sure you've started on the right path. A couple of hours there should ensure that you don't have serious mechanical flaws.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In your post, you say your fundamentals and mechanics are good....(Im trying to do this nicely, but it's difficult).....If you've only been playing a few months, and haven't had any instruction from a high level player, it's an extremely safe bet that your stance, stroke, preshot routine, elbow, wrist, head alignment, feet positioning (and probably more than just this stuff) all needs alot of work.
Probably in under 10 minutes, a professional level player can tell you at least 6 different things, with stance, alignment, and stroke that you need to make substantial changes to. (Dont accept what your league player teammates tell you, they probably dont know much better than you do).

Accuracy in pool comes from repeatablility (and vision alignment). Most of the best players I know have a stance, stroke and approach that is compact, consistent and repeatable. They have worked most or all of the bugs out of their approach.

Consistency in results comes from consistency in approach.

You can spend years trying to get everything right, on your own and still be missing key pieces.

Do yourself a favor. If you want to get good, and do it quickly, find a professional level player and get lessons from them. They'll get you straight a ton quicker than you will be able to on your own.

Good luck.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do yourself a favor. If you want to get good, and do it quickly, find a professional level player and get lessons from them. ..
Many professional level players are good instructors for professional-level concerns. A few can even work very well on fundamentals. Others have no interest in working on fundamental mechanics with a beginner. Few know how to do video analysis of students. Video is essential for showing a student what the problems are and later how they have improved.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many professional level players are good instructors for professional-level concerns. A few can even work very well on fundamentals. Others have no interest in working on fundamental mechanics with a beginner. Few know how to do video analysis of students. Video is essential for showing a student what the problems are and later how they have improved.

Maybe. Id take my chances with someone who knows and has overcome alot of the challenges to become a AAA player (preferably in their 40's), rather than get instruction from someone whose game peaked at B player. (please dont think I mean you, I have no idea where your game is, but i do have someone else in mind when i make this statement).

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
All I can tell you is that even though I'm playing my personal best right now, I now notice that if I miss a shot, a large percentage of the time it is because I aimed the shot wrong (for the intended english, etc.).

My personal observation is that when a player is still learning, the times that you miss might be a higher percentage due to your form, stroke, mechanics. But as your skills improve, it appears that literally choosing the wrong spot to hit the object ball will be the cause of most of your misses. So to me, your eyes and perspective with aiming shots will be the biggest factor leading to misses once you are more advanced. Now granted, focus and concentration are a big part of aiming, so not being totally focused can be a cause of bad aiming or pulling the trigger before you've found the exact spot to hit the object ball.

Not sure if this helps, but it is something that I have come to understand about my own game.

EDIT: I should note that for an advanced player, extreme amounts of english may come into the equation more often when trying to aim properly.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your input...

You said your stroke/fundamentals are good. Then you said your problem is potting balls.

I stopped reading at that point.

If your fundamentals......... stroke is really good you should have no problem potting most any shot.

Knowing how to actually play patterns, safes etc...etc is another story.

Rake

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor.... that said,

I like what you are doing playing the shot until you make it 30 times total, and then moving to another shot. But, I would make it with position. No one hits center ball in a real game and just lets the CB go where it goes. The shot PLUS position is the "entire shot". So practice the "entire shot" until you make it 30 times. Different position changes the shot dramatically, even if the CB and OB are placed in the same spot with doughnuts. You might be aiming to a spot 2" different if your position target is different. You need to learn the "entire shot".

Good luck:)

GodinSession

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for taking the time to give such thorough responses.
I would love to get some lessons. Anyone know of any good teachers in the Pittsburgh pa area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAKE A FEW LESSONS FROM AN INSTRUCTOR.

He will set you up with a proper stroke AND pre shot routine.

Its very hard to unlearn wrong things. Get it right the first time.

Good luck.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fixed that for you. :thumbup: 95% of pro players have no experience, or no clue, in how to teach a stroke or process.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Do yourself a favor. If you want to get good, and do it quickly, find a professional "qualified instructor" and get lessons from them. They'll get you straight a ton quicker than you will be able to on your own.

Good luck.