Draw Shot Question

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was breaking some racks in my basement yesterday and had this shot. I wanted to go from the 1B to the 2B. The 5B was blocking the inside english route so I tried to hit it with a little low left. But I hit it too hard and ended up where the red CB is, just behind the 3B and 8B. Trust me when I say the 5B blocked the inside english route. And the 1B was only off the rail about an inch or so.

My question here is......to hit this ball with low left you really need to dig into the CB and put some OOMPH on it or else you wont get good results. If you want the CB to come back close to the starting point you need to really dig into it, hit it a little harder. I did, but apparently hit it way too hard and it went way too far and ended up where the red CB is now.

How do you guys handle this shot? Does it just require a finesse type low left stroke?

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/b6724.png

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was breaking some racks in my basement yesterday and had this shot. I wanted to go from the 1B to the 2B. The 7B was blocking the inside english route so I tried to hit it with a little low left. But I hit it too hard and ended up where the red CB is, just behind the 3B and 8B. Trust me when I say the 5B blocked the inside english route. And the 1B was only off the rail about an inch or so.

My question here is......to hit this ball with low left you really need to dig into the CB and put some OOMPH on it or else you wont get good results. If you want the CB to come back close to the starting point you need to really dig into it, hit it a little harder. I did, but apparently hit it way too hard and it went way too far and ended up where the red CB is now.

How do you guys handle this shot? Does it just require a finesse type low left stroke?

r/DCP

Based solely on the diagram i wouldn't use much left at all. Medium speed draw should put you on the 2ball. Maybe a tiny bit of left but not much. To get to that rd CB spot you must have really dug in with low left.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How do you guys handle this shot? Does it just require a finesse type low left stroke?]
Here's the diagram so we will have it even if the other site goes away:

CropperCapture[196].png

I would not describe this as a finesse shot. You just have to hit it softer. Try more left than draw so that you are stunning off the object ball. That is more effective on some tables.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I was breaking some racks in my basement yesterday and had this shot. I wanted to go from the 1B to the 2B. The 5B was blocking the inside english route so I tried to hit it with a little low left. But I hit it too hard and ended up where the red CB is, just behind the 3B and 8B. Trust me when I say the 5B blocked the inside english route. And the 1B was only off the rail about an inch or so.

r/DCP

Stop Allocating Fruitless Energy.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a similar situation in a tournament. This is a tough shot because of the 1 being so close to the rail and you have to bring the cb back below the side pocket. If you don't use enough backspin, you're in danger of scratching in the side. But then there's the issue of too much speed with backspin.

In a way, this can be looked at as a type of finesse shot in that the solution I used was a modified kill stroke. I used lots of low left but with a modified kill stroke speed to allow some of the backspin to wear off before impact with the ob. The left spin brings it across the table and slightly down table towards the side pocket and the remaining backspin finishes the job bringing it below the side to avoid the scratch and control the speed.

This is what players call a feel shot. It's tough to measure. You can only feel it. You can't shoot this one with a tight grip.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a similar situation in a tournament. This is a tough shot because of the 1 being so close to the rail and you have to bring the cb back below the side pocket. If you don't use enough backspin, you're in danger of scratching in the side. But then there's the issue of too much speed with backspin.

In a way, this can be looked at as a type of finesse shot in that the solution I used was a modified kill stroke. I used lots of low left but with a modified kill stroke speed to allow some of the backspin to wear off before impact with the ob. The left spin brings it across the table and slightly down table towards the side pocket and the remaining backspin finishes the job bringing it below the side to avoid the scratch and control the speed.

This is what players call a feel shot. It's tough to measure. You can only feel it. You can't shoot this one with a tight grip.

this in bold.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I

My question here is......to hit this ball with low left you really need to dig into the CB and put some OOMPH on it or else you wont get good results. If you want the CB to come back close to the starting point you need to really dig into it, hit it a little harder.

r/DCP

You have too much angle for the draw to do much. If you move up to the center of the cue ball you can put a lot more left on it and get a better result with less speed. There are many really good training videos on this exact shot. As the angle decreases the draw has more effect as the angle increases the left has more effect.

Hit a few with just draw and you will see what draw is contributing. Then hit some with center ball and more left and see what the side spin is contributing. Move the cue ball to positions with less and less angle and see how these changes take place.

Here is a link to Sharivari's When to use Draw and Spin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpO3CCIibZQ He covers this exact shot. I like his summary. Angles less than 30 degrees use mostly low; 30 -45 degrees personal preference; 45 degrees and up mostly spin.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You have too much angle for the draw to do much. If you move up to the center of the cue ball you can put a lot more left on it and get a better result with less speed. There are many really good training videos on this exact shot. As the angle decreases the draw has more effect as the angle increases the left has more effect.

Hit a few with just draw and you will see what draw is contributing. Then hit some with center ball and more left and see what the side spin is contributing. Move the cue ball to positions with less and less angle and see how these changes take place.

Here is a link to Sharivari's When to use Draw and Spin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpO3CCIibZQ He covers this exact shot. I like his summary. Angles less than 30 degrees use mostly low; 30 -45 degrees personal preference; 45 degrees and up mostly spin.
I tried this shot with draw only and with left only - as shown in the pics below, I actually could do a little better with draw only.

I think with left only the CB's follow overpowers most of the left spin. And with draw only the 1 ball's small distance from the rail is enough to give the draw some room to work.

P.S. The CBs ending positions shown are where they hit the rail - I didn't hit them softly enough to actually stop the CB there.

pj
chgo

Attachments

• draw v left.jpg
    draw v left.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried this shot with draw only and with left only - as shown in the pics below, I actually could do a little better with draw only.

I think with left only the CB's follow overpowers most of the left spin. And with draw only the 1 ball's small distance from the rail is enough to give the draw some room to work.

P.S. The CBs ending positions shown are where they hit the rail - I didn't hit them softly enough to actually stop the CB there.

pj
chgo

Conceptually it is actually pretty simple.

With no angle side does nothing and draw/follow work 100%. At a 90 degree angle draw/follow do nothing and side works 100%. At 45 degrees they are about equal but you have to hit much harder for the draw to last at distance. The side spin is retained at much slower speeds.

I shoot a 50 degree shot with the object ball on the 3rd diamond about 2" off the rail and the cue ball about 1 diamond off the head rail, as a warm up every day. I was hitting it with a medium speed below center hit so the cue ball would rebound straight across the table and back towards the center opposite the 3rd diamond. I substituted a ton of outside spin with center ball and a very soft hit. I was surprised to see I could put the cue ball in the exact center of the table without going across and back. It took a while to get comfortable with the squirt and fuller hit aiming spot but the result was fun.