Formatting Solution

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys a lot of you have been asking what happens when a player has a match and is in the middle of a run.

What I have decided to do is basically take a page from Bob Jewett's handbook and bring tailor's chalk with me to mark the break ball and cue ball.

That player after their match however must come back to the 14.1 Challenge and finish out that particular run that way it does not tie up a table. Unless of course they are playing back to back matches.

I think this is a good fit for everyone and will make life a lot more pleasant for our top level guys (John Schmidt, Bobby Chamberlain, Thorsten, etc.)

For the regular Joe's like myself I would like the five runs to be consecutive that way once that player stops we can get another player right up and we dont have to go looking for paperwork etc verifying where that player is in terms of run score and which turn he or she is on.

let me know what you think guys.
Charlie

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Hey Guys a lot of you have been asking what happens when a player has a match and is in the middle of a run.

What I have decided to do is basically take a page from Bob Jewett's handbook and bring tailor's chalk with me to mark the break ball and cue ball.

That player after their match however must come back to the 14.1 Challenge and finish out that particular run that way it does not tie up a table. Unless of course they are playing back to back matches.

I think this is a good fit for everyone and will make life a lot more pleasant for our top level guys (John Schmidt, Bobby Chamberlain, Thorsten, etc.)

For the regular Joe's like myself I would like the five runs to be consecutive that way once that player stops we can get another player right up and we dont have to go looking for paperwork etc verifying where that player is in terms of run score and which turn he or she is on.

Charlie

Sounds very workable, Charlie.

Bob had two clipboards, one for each table and scorer, and then one sheet per player and he kept them alphabetized so it was easy to find when they reappeared, but then his event had them coming back for three days total so maybe you don't need that part.

p.s. better get some security in case DH shows.;)

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
I think that will work best Charlie. I also think you need to allow for players that make big runs on their first attempt or two, to take a break after a big run or two and come back at another time to finish all 5.

Kev

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
I've been thinking about this over the weekend. Are we going to be able to get 5 turns in for everybody in a reasonable amount of time? I realize that some of the turns will be short, but if a few of the better players start throwing up 40 or 50+ runs over a couple turns, they could be on the table for quite awhile. You could be looking at one player on the table for an hour. That could really limit the numbers of possible participants.

I don't have any experience with this format, so I may be completely off track, but I thought I'd throw that out there as food for thought. Do you think 3 turns would be enough? Or even 4?

I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Scott

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
The interruptive match scenario isn't exclusive to the pros

Charlie

Charlie:

It sounds very workable, but just a gentle word of warning about the reservation of this policy for "our top level guys (John Schmidt, Bobby Chamberlain, Thorsten, etc.)". This policy shouldn't be reserved for just those folks, because remember, there's only one pro event going on -- the rest of the events at SBE are amateur events.

As an example, although not a "top level guy," I am competing in the Open 10-ball event and am susceptible to back-to-back matches. Also, I'm sure many of our participants in the 14.1 Challenge will be competing in one or a couple of the amateur events, and are also susceptible to the back-to-back matches scenario.

Just want to make you aware that the interruptive match scenario you describe is not exclusive to the John Schmidts, Thorsten Hohmanns, Bobby Chamberlains, etc. of our sport.

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Charlie:

It sounds very workable, but just a gentle word of warning about the reservation of this policy for "our top level guys (John Schmidt, Bobby Chamberlain, Thorsten, etc.)". This policy shouldn't be reserved for just those folks, because remember, there's only one pro event going on -- the rest of the events at SBE are amateur events.

As an example, although not a "top level guy," I am competing in the Open 10-ball event and am susceptible to back-to-back matches. Also, I'm sure many of our participants in the 14.1 Challenge will be competing in one or a couple of the amateur events, and are also susceptible to the back-to-back matches scenario.

Just want to make you aware that the interruptive match scenario you describe is not exclusive to the John Schmidts, Thorsten Hohmanns, Bobby Chamberlains, etc. of our sport.

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

At Derby, anyone could take as many as they wanted and come back later. Sometimes we would encourage a lesser known player to bow out for a while, when, for example, a busy pro like Archer looked like he was ready to jump in.

I've been thinking about this over the weekend. Are we going to be able to get 5 turns in for everybody in a reasonable amount of time? I realize that some of the turns will be short, but if a few of the better players start throwing up 40 or 50+ runs over a couple turns, they could be on the table for quite awhile. You could be looking at one player on the table for an hour. That could really limit the numbers of possible participants.

I don't have any experience with this format, so I may be completely off track, but I thought I'd throw that out there as food for thought. Do you think 3 turns would be enough? Or even 4?

I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Scott

As I mentioned earlier, some of the runs at Derby took a bit of time. Charlie Williams 93 took over 50 minutes. Can you imagine if he did 4 more, back to back to back. He could possibly eat up one of the tables for half a day.

Of course, at Derby the high run is all that counted, so once they hit a good number they could back off for a while and see how the others did. Some of the players never finished their attempts because they did not need to in order to qualify. Still, the last day it went to about 3 in the morning.

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys the suggestions are great and I think this is all very do able for people.

I am realizing that more and more people prefer the idea of being able to continue their turns at a later time and that is more than fine with me.

I do not want to put any one out or have them miss the opportunity to take part in our event simply because they might be

"susceptible to back to back matches" as quoted by Sfeinan and think its a great point.

I hope this alleviates some concern as we really are willing to work with everyone.

You asked for it you got it guys.

Sincerely,
Charlie