USPS delays

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a company has a supervisor that cant get rid of a employee for just cause it has a bad supervisor . No union can save a job if there is just cause to fire.To the people who think they are the best worker and faster than someone else there is someone faster than you ,and you will slowdown with age.Blaming unions for everything is so funny ,you dont blame the biggest union in the country for outsourcing and filling their businesses with foreign junk.THAT WOULD BE THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE.

I was a Teamster for a few years then moved to management so I've seen both sides. Once I became a manager the attitude towards me from some employees changed and for others it didn't. The ones that now thought I was the enemy are the ones that wouldn't follow the rules THEY agreed to. Me and one guy used to get along fairly well until I became management. After about a week I sat down and read the contract (I didn't really care when I was a driver, just did my job and went home) come to find out they had been interpreting the contract wrong for years and the employees were only guaranteed the "opportunity" to work 40, if they refused they didn't get paid 40, if they worked 20 and did all the extra work they were asked they were paid for 40. I kept my mouth shut until one week this a-hole thought he would be smart and finish his routes early and still get paid for 40, Friday at 5pm he came in and I asked him to run the express truck to help one customer, he refused, I said "That's ok, I'll get so and so to do it". On his check he was short 6-7 hours and he flipped his lid. I tossed the contract at him and said "show me where I am required to pay you 40 hours".

That one went up the union ladder and he lost.

Union contracts work both ways.

EDIT: And the owner was a bit pissed when he found out how many people were paid 40 when it wasn't required, he liked me after that.

Last edited:

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats funny a salaried employee who gets paid even if he doesnt work 40 . I have seen workers get done early on their routes some skipping breaks and lunch just to keep a boss (who isnt a supervisor) off their ass.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats funny a salaried employee who gets paid even if he doesnt work 40 . I have seen workers get done early on their routes some skipping breaks and lunch just to keep a boss (who isnt a supervisor) off their ass.

Our drivers were not salaried employees, they were hourly but were guaranteed the "opportunity" to work 40, if they turned it down they didn't get paid, just like unemployment rules. The previous manager(s) did not comprehend the "opportunity" part of the contract and cost the owner thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars.

Salaried employees fall under two categories exempt and non-exempt, exempt is exempt from getting paid overtime but they also get to leave - without a decrease in pay - if they get their job done. That's the category I fall under. It's 10:30 where I'm at and I have about an hours worth of work to do, I'm walking out the door at noon and getting paid for it. That being said, up until 2 months ago I worked every weekend for a year and didn't get paid extra. Non-exempt employees are able to earn overtime but also get a pay deduction if they don't work 40. Some employee manuals get more specific, i.e. where I work the non-exempt employees may leave up to two hours early without a reduction in pay, on a limited basis, for doctor visits, etc. If people choose to take advantage of that it would be gone.

A couple of the defining factors for exempt vs non-exempt is decision making and supervisor roles. If you can perform you job autonomously, without regular supervision or guidance, then more than likely you are exempt. Exempt employees have a minimum salary standard ($23,600? It's in the link below). In the architectural/engineering world (the world I work in) they are non-exempt employees out of school and after a couple of years they will generally have the knowledge to perform their duties without regular supervision and generally become exempt. Accountants (what I do) are the same. Or, if you supervise 2 or more employees you are more than likely exempt but it's a bit more complicated than that, more info in link below.

Another fun CP side story: My first accounting job was bookkeeping for a drug testing company with 8 locations in 5 states, 6 months in my boss was fired and the owner wanted me to take his position. I strongly recommend firing the operations manager and one other lady but he refused, I was still in school and needed the money so I digressed and accepted the new position. 2 months later I get an email stating she has made all the managers exempt. These are people who were making less than 20K a year. It was done and all the employees were informed a week before I was informed. When I told the owner (a drunk dickhead who would take 100K every year above and beyond his 100K salary even though I couldn't make payroll) that exempt employees are required to be paid 23,600 he flipped a lid. We had to give at least 10 people a 25% raise because the idiot GM had NO idea what she was doing. When the business finally went under I met the owner to give him some stuff and he said "I should've listened to you and fired those two", I wryly agreed with him.

https://www.flsa.com/coverage.html

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The fact that he could miraculously finish his routes earlier than normal was definitely brought up at arbitration. As mentioned, he lost.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might as well add mine for USPS. Shipped 6/18 two day priority. No notification until 6/23 stating it had left a distribution center 90 miles from where it started. Only updates since then have been "In Transit".

I also mailed a cue and received two packages in same timeframe via USPS. All three arrived on time.

Of course the late one is a high dollar item. :(

bpp&d

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A tale of two shipments

I ordered a new becue from Italy last month and put a couple of cues up for sale here - my current becue and a Spitz wrapless bubinga cue.

The Spitz sold and I packed it up and dropped it off at the local post office in New Jersey last Friday at 9am. Sent it priority mail and they said it would arrive in Arizona on Tuesday, the 23rd. It still hasn't been delivered and still shows "in transit". I spoke with someone at USPS yesterday and she confirmed that a lot of the delays have to do with all of the short staffing associated with covid-19.

I got an email yesterday from Italy that DHL picked up my new becue yesterday about 2pm their time. Got the knock on the door at 6pm today and there was my new cue. Now I can't wait until our clubhouse opens to try it out.

Makes me wonder if it's worth shipping within the U.S. with DHL.

Harry

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And we don't get overtime.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a couple small items on Monday and they arrived today. One from ga and one from ny...to dc,.

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One problem U.S.P.S., has is they are Unionized Employees, who are like SHOTGUNS with Broken Trigger Springs, difficult to FIRE!.

Business seem to work better, more efficient, more profit without the silrent partner with no investment in the company. Evil Unions, who need one if you are productive, on time, do your job, and are not a pian in the bosses butt..

Ups is unionized...but there ok right