Steve Mizerak on Letterman 1984

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool! I hadn’t seen this one either. Beautiful table! I can’t remember the model, but in the same family with the Brunswick Arcade I believe.

So how much is that cue worth today?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to remember that Steve lost his Balabushka to Larry Liscotti in a match, but I thought that was prior to 1984. Anyone know the history of that cue and where it is now?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
thank you for posting and uploading loving this video

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ah, the good old days. This was back when Letterman's show followed Johnny Carson, so I don't think this show came on the air until 1:00 AM Eastern time. That was a little past my bedtime back then as I had a full-time job!

Unless my memory is failing me, Steve's claim of three straight world pocket billiard titles was arguable, as there was no PPPA World Championship event in 1984. Steve did, however, win in 1982 (over Dan DiLiberto in the final, I believe) and also in 1983 (over Jimmy Fusco in the final, I believe), so I guess it was fair to say he had been reigning champion for three years. The 1981 world title was won by Nick Varner, who beat Mike Sigel in the final.

Looked like Letterman had fun in this segment. Thanks for sharing.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Ah, the good old days. This was back when Letterman's show followed Johnny Carson, so I don't think this show came on the air until 1:00 AM Eastern time. That was a little past my bedtime back then as I had a full-time job!

Unless my memory is failing me, Steve's claim of three straight world pocket billiard titles was arguable, as there was no PPPA World Championship event in 1984. Steve did, however, win in 1982 (over Dan DiLiberto in the final, I believe) and also in 1983 (over Jimmy Fusco in the final, I believe), so I guess it was fair to say he had been reigning champion for three years. The 1981 world title was won by Nick Varner, who beat Mike Sigel in the final.

Is this why straight pool and billiards is no longer on television?

Did the Miz upset someone?

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He said 2 years in a row, even held up ✌ 2 fingers. 🤷

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He said 2 years in a row, even held up ✌ 2 fingers. ��

My bad. I thought Letterman got it wrong in the intro, but on a second viewing, I was mistaken. After the 1982 and 1983 PPPA World 14.1 World Championship, the event was not held in either 1984 or 1985. It was, in fact, revived in 1986, held in Philadelphia, but that proved to be the last one, and Miz didn't prevail. Still, I think it would be accurate to say that Miz was the 14.1 champion in 1982, 1983, 1984, and 1985.

Funny how Steve wouldn't mention who he beat, preferring to say that he beat them all. Also amusing that he shared that his "Miller Lite" trick shot took so many takes that performing it for Letterman was out of the question.

Last edited: