All of this talk about building pool...

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always loved puzzles. In a way, each rack is a puzzle to be solved. Plus the competition.

The Strategy aspect is great too.

And, I love it when a plan comes together.

I like the colors.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
It's life in a well lit area, where all attributes of oneself have to come together to get desired results. It's NEVER the same....all it gives is reality and parallels life is all its ways. It's physical art....where ones mind has to be "all in" all the time otherwise expressions like....how the heck did I miss such an easy shot/out. Life's never easy, and not a click away.:wink:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of the above plus for some crazy reason I feel more comfortable in a poolroom than anywhere else. How can you beat the comradery found in a poolroom?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Got me to wondering, what is the most popular motivation for playing this game.

Why do you play?

I enjoy it. Practicing, gambling, tournaments... I just enjoy myself. My only motivation is to improve so I can enjoy myself more.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
All of the above plus for some crazy reason I feel more comfortable in a poolroom than anywhere else. How can you beat the comradery found in a poolroom?

Good point....Since I got out allot in the 60's-90's, I can pretty much to this day go into any room in any state that the players are at and know at least a few. We get accepted immediately with the room owners and bartenders and wait staff. It's something that doesn't happen in many areas of life, cept bowling and maybe card rooms.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am fortunate to have found a great group of guys who like to compete but have fun doing it. We shark, chirp, and blast each other but not during a shot. BTW - there is a serious aspect to this also as we keep score the usual way. I just enjoy playing.

Al

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point....Since I got out allot in the 60's-90's, I can pretty much to this day go into any room in any state that the players are at and know at least a few. We get accepted immediately with the room owners and bartenders and wait staff. It's something that doesn't happen in many areas of life, cept bowling and maybe card rooms.

Yup. You can always find a game of some sort and while away a few hours. That's what I'm talking about.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
For me it's the challenge of improvement. I'm lucky...my game is so bad that even small improvements are noticible. :grin:

The second reason is to have friendly competition with friends.

IMHO pool is a lot like golf: you might make a bunch of mistakes, but there are always a few shots you perform as well as any pro. Those are "the shots that bring you back."

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it's the challenge of improvement. I'm lucky...my game is so bad that even small improvements are noticible. :grin:

The second reason is to have friendly competition with friends.

IMHO pool is a lot like golf: you might make a bunch of mistakes, but there are always a few shots you perform as well as any pro. Those are "the shots that bring you back."

It is that intermittent reinforcement that is addicting huh!? When you play so good one day and then seemingly cant make a ball the next it's like you are chasing that high.:)

I do have to agree also that it is ultimately the challenge that motivates me. There are many factors that motivate me to play and get better but the challenge is the main one I think.

Last edited:

CT06010

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play because I LOVE the game. I LEARN something new every time I play. Most of all the COMPETITION!!

staypuff578

Team Ramrod
Silver Member
Pool pulled me out of a rut of drugs and alcohol abuse. Everytime I pick up a cue it's a reminder of where I came from only a few years ago.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
For the Love of the Game.

The game is very much like golf. You can play it but...

you'll never conquer it.

So...It's the Challenge.

It also teases one with glimpses of one's possible greatness within The Game before it brings one back down to reality.

The Game Challenges us to try to find & then to try to keep 'perfection'.

My Dad introduced me to the game when I was 13.

It's a game.

'Children'...like to play games.

AND regardless of the current politically correct sensitivity of some...

'Children' like to WIN. It gives them a sense of physical &/or mental accomplishment.

Losing can also be a good thing as it puts things into perspective & makes one appreciate what it takes to accomplish a win. Children know.

We're all just 'Children' when you get right down to it.

We want to Play and...we want to Win.

So...It's the Challenge... & this game challenges one both physically & mentally.

If we had our chance at the table & did not win, then we lost. It really has nothing to do with the opponent. If he or she had their chance at the table & did not win, then they lost.

Sometimes it's just a matter of finding out who the better 'loser' is, because...

'The Game is the Winner'. We keep coming back to 'Her' because We Love 'Her' & the Challenges that 'She' presents to Us.

We keep coming back because We Accept the Challenge & We Love the Pursuit.

Take everything said here with a big grain of salt & call a Doctor in the morning.

PS This game can be played in an Air Conditioned Environment & usually without physical pain & with no sweating or freezing. The game has it's advantages over some others. Although one does not normally mind pain if a WIN came along with it & sometimes one does not even mind the pain if they did not even get a win as long as the game was well played.

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I do it because it's too cold to play Golf.
We play team One Pocket through the colder months.
My days of hanging out each and every day in a pool room are well over. :)

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It satisfies the competitive urge, even as one ages and can less and less compete at more physical sports/games at a high level.