I love Danny Diliberto but this commentary is brutal.

the77club

Silver Member
I don't have the answers and no I couldn't do it better and I am not trying to be overly critical and yes I would rather have this than nothing but this commentating is terrible. Has anyone watched/listened to a different sport on TV? Typically there is a format....maybe a play by play guy, a facts guy, and a color guy that may add slight humor or a very quick "did you know" story. If this was every submitted to a TV station for possible future broadcasting of pool it would be thrown out. I am not going to give examples but if you bought the stream I would like to hear your opinion.

bobbybamateur

Registered
On the Topic of Danny D.!

Could any of my fellow AZBilliard people please tell me what Tournaments ( Big or Small) that Danny DiLiberto has won in his Pool Career? It seems that he has played every old time player, and won of course, and would like to know a little more about his Career, Thanks!

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interview on OP.org:

http://www.onepocket.org/DannyDilibertoInterview.htm

Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_DiLiberto

Titles listed on above Wiki link:

Titles:

1960 and 1961 Straight Pool City Championship
1962 Straight Pool New York State Championship
1963 Straight Pool, U. S. Masters
1969 U.S. Masters Straight Pool Tournament
1972 Tournament of Champions, Johnston City, Illinois
1972 World All Around Champion, Johnston City, Illinois
1981 BCA National Eight Ball Tournament
1982 Busch Southern Nine Ball Classic
1983 World One Pocket Tournament
1984 Classic Cup Nine Ball Tournament
1985 Eastern States Straight Pool Tournament
1985 World Mixed Couples Nine Ball Tournament
1989 Western States Nine Ball Tournament
1996 Senior Tour Nine Ball Tournament
1997 French Open Nine Ball Tournament
1998 French National Nine Ball Tournament

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Read the book.....

Road Player
The Danny Diliberto Story
By Jerry Forsyth
Available at Amazon or one pocket.org

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many times does Danny have to be wrong to have someone else considered for commentator? He's really starting to get on my nerves. Is he a sacred cow...nobody is. Like the OP, I like Danny, but please, get someone else.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read the book.....

Road Player
The Danny Diliberto Story
By Jerry Forsyth
Available at Amazon or one pocket.org

I don't enjoy reading books in the least and can't stick with one but I read this cover to cover and enjoyed every second of it. Absolutely fantastic.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been sad since Grady passed, breaking up the best commentary duo ever IMO.

Grady Mathews and Billy Incardona were incredible together, nearly perfect IMO.

Frank and brutally honest, listening to them was like getting your own personal pool lesson every time.

There are several new guys including JoeyA (he was excellent with Danny Harriman IMO), that are improving each time out.

Ken

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't enjoy reading books in the least and can't stick with one but I read this cover to cover and enjoyed every second of it. Absolutely fantastic.

I will second this. That book was excellent and straight to the point. I found it easier to read and more memorable than RA Dyer's hustler days. Which was also a good book, but Danny's storytelling descriptions really work.

And I still find gems in his commentary. In my opinion, keep him around because he is one of the last of that generation of pool players. When he is gone, something special will be missing forever and we can then ponder what is better for the commentary.

Until then, as long as he is physically able to get around, I'll enjoy Danny's descriptions and presence on the accustats DVDs.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Grady was the best....hands down.
To the OP, give Danny a break, he's as old as dirt.LOL

Translated, that means his eyes aren't as good as they used to be.But the knowledge is still there.:wink:

Bugz

Glutton for Punishment
Silver Member
I have to agree, I respect my elders but he was brutal yesterday.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
He seems to be a little more in his element during the 1 pocket so far, but dang he really likes saying dudes should shoot that 4 railer after the break which I have never seen anyone do. I'm getting to watch Derby matches while I work from home though so I'm in no way complaining.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is amazing, I came to the forums to make a post about this and I found this thread on 1st page. You sir who made this thread, we think the same.

Listen guys, I love Danny to bits, he's a good guy and I respect him, he used to make good calls when he was younger, but right now it's out of hand. I'm sorry but 70% of the stuff he says are either incorrect, or not doable.

Like just now 5seconds ago watching one pocket, the ball is frozen near the rail and Danny goes "He can kick it into his pocket" and I'm in my room yelling ! HOW CAN HE KICK THAT ITS FROZEN. I mean I understand sometimes they have different point of view or can't see angles, but he has a TV next to him, the same one that I am watching, and some of the stuff he says just don't make sense.

And what troubles me more, is Mike sitting next to him and he feels so intimidated that he is scared to death to correct him, only because he is Danny doesn't mean you can't correct him.

Also one thing that I don't like, is when Danny goes "what is he doing, I don' like this shot, my shot is the right one" When in fact his shot isnt even there, either he seeing it wrong or its just not doable due to angle or something along these lines.

Anyway my point is, Danny now is in the retired age, he can't call things right and I think him being older has alot to do with it. Back in the days I like his calls. I just wish Billy comes to the booth to correct every mistake Danny makes. Cause things he say just drive me nuts

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He calls a lot of shots I do not see, but I am not much of a 1pckt player. His calling the balls the wrong number do to the colors shows how bad the colors confuse the players. I hate watching the stream with the tv balls, I can't tell what F..in ball they are talking about half the time. Danny seems to have it worse, at least I can tell a stripe ball from a solid.
Mark

Last edited: