Gathering the balls after the game

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there an unspoken courtesy or convention for cleaning the pockets when the game is over?

Example:loser racks-he gets bottom corner pockets and one of the sides. The winner/breaker gets the other side and the corners at the breaking end?

Don't you love it when you rack all but the couple of balls that are in the pockets at the breaker's end, while he is taking warm up strokes for the next break.

More than once I have circled the table looking for the 8ball, when it was hiding in the shadow of the pocket at the racking end.

Is it a courtesy for the winner to help gather the balls, or is it the rackers job to find them all?

...sometimes-it's the little things ...;)

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Yes, there is an unspoke courtesy.

And yes I have 'spoken' it. ;) Hey, you wanna grab the balls at your end there sport?

I'm pretty sure most 'normal' people round the table for the racker. In fact, I'll even get a corner of his if thats where most of the ball are piled up while he/she gets the other side.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah most times guys will help gather the balls. Some people dont cuz they are distracted or douches. The pet peeve I have that comes up more often is guys only rolling the balls far enough down the table so I have to bend over to grab them.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
Is there an unspoken courtesy or convention for cleaning the pockets when the game is over?

IMHO it is the breakers job to get the balls to the racker, there is no need to get the balls out of the corner foot pockets because they are easy to get to for the racker and you could both stick your hand in the pocket at the same time thus waste time.

Example:loser racks-he gets bottom corner pockets and one of the sides. The winner/breaker gets the other side and the corners at the breaking end?

Way too complicated for most people; believe it or not.

Don't you love it when you rack all but the couple of balls that are in the pockets at the breaker's end, while he is taking warm up strokes for the next break.

I know that’s meant to be sarcastic but in fact I do; I will keep that rack on those balls for a millennium you would be amazed at how many times I can “shuffle the balls”, pull the rack up and down, stick my fingers in there etc.. etc.. until he stops, says something or his arm gets tired; turn this behavior to your advantage don’t be irritated by it.

More than once I have circled the table looking for the 8ball, when it was hiding in the shadow of the pocket at the racking end.

Just stick your hand in every pocket you pass by or are close to, there is no shame in sticking your hand in an empty pocket. There is no need to look into a pocket to see if there are balls in it.

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
The breaker should be responsible for the top pockets and probably the sides.

If I am racking and missing balls from the top pockets, I just stand there and wait for the breaker to pull his head out of his ass and get them. For some people, they are ust not used to pulling them up (usually play on ball return tables, new to the game, etc).

But, if someone is intentionally being a douche, give them slug racks or just change to rack your own and pull them all up yourself.

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a brisk walk around the table can only improve our collective chances to survive the massive stroke heart attack ect. That I am sure most of us are long overdue for so why don't we all share the chore of clearing the pockets with a smile. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

MeucciMan79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way I do it is the racker gets the foot rail corner pockets and I get the sides and head rail corner pockets!

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
…. so why don't we all share the chore of clearing the pockets with a smile. :)

Because there are people who do not have any sense of common courtesy and are oblivious to what is going on around them and therefore waste time by making you walk around to and back from 10-15ft when they had their hand 6in away from where you had to walk back and fourth from.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only if you're playing on a table with drop pockets. Ball returns make this unnecessary. I never had to worry about this for almost 25 years, until I moved South.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I'm playing with friends we usually each take a trip down one side rail. This seems to be the fastest. The guy that shoots in the 9 starts one way, I go the other way, and we are racking in like 5 seconds.

I think the convention though is that the racker is responsible for the two corner pockets at the rack end, and the breaker gets the rest.

On open coin op tables, usually the breaker gets the balls out of the side return for the racker.

That has been my experience.

KMRUNOUT

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where I play we go to each pocket and play rock,paper, scissors over the pocket and whoever lost has the difficult task of removing the balls and rolling them down table. We then move to the next pocket and repeat the process.

Honestly, as long as the breaker gets the two corners near him I could care less ... and if he's occassionally distracted I'll just get them all. I've never really thought much about it but everyone has their pet peeves.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you don't expect the breaker to help you grab the balls from the ball return area??? Wow! Jk. :)

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Certainly when playing winner break/loser rack it is common courtesy to help the racker gather the balls - after all you are both at the table.

In winner break/rack your own I don't consider it bad manners to stay in your chair. Yeah, you can pop up to get balls out of a couple of pockets, but I have no problem with my opponent letting me have my space when I'm at the table, even between racks.

wvroadplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
take a lap

something I learned: winners take a victory lap meaning while the racker is placing what balls he has recovered into the rack you should be getting the other pockets. pretty much what the others say racker gets 2 or 3 pockets and the winner gets the rest.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Let's get these balls out and start the next game already!!!

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
It seems like it'd a common courtesy thing, but some people really have entitlement issues and take the "To the victor go the spoils" thing too far. I don't really ever say anything but I been known to put the balls in the rack and take an extended restroom break or rack and leave the rack on the table then sit and wait, that usually sends a message, but that's only in extreme instances when the guy (or girl) is being a total *****. Other times I'll get the balls if I win a subsequent game but I won't get them all then I'll comment that at least I got some of them for you to rack. I have a really hard time with people that just can't it within themselves to be polite

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
The racker gets the 2 bottom corners and usually one side pocket but not always.If I am breaking I will keep rounding up balls until they are all close enough to the spot to be easily reached.

The worst one is when the breaker runs over and grabs the balls out of the bottom corner pocket that you are approaching from and then leaves the rest for you.Also firing the balls so hard toward the footrail that they rebound all over the table.Tossing the balls so they bounce and hop towards the racker or firing the CB around the table while you rack.:smile:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where I play we go to each pocket and play rock,paper, scissors over the pocket and whoever lost has the difficult task of removing the balls and rolling them down table. We then move to the next pocket and repeat the process.

Honestly, as long as the breaker gets the two corners near him I could care less ... and if he's occassionally distracted I'll just get them all. I've never really thought much about it but everyone has their pet peeves.

PaulieB,
I am like you in this matter. The winner won the game. If loser racks then that is really his job. I send the end balls down to him/her most times but it is not a requirement. If I lose a game I gather all the balls up with no problem. And rack them. Never even think about it either. There are things that go with winning the game, if loser racks that is just what that means. If I rack my on if I win I get the balls and rack them. I don't make problems where there should not be any problems!

Win and you do not have to worry about racking the balls.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.