Thinking of going to the Mosconi Cup? Questions!

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im wondering if its worth it? Me and 2 other friends are close to pulling the trigger but would like some input from anyone whos been there before.

Is there a large screen for the live audience to see the table better? 4 day pass cost roughly $170. The seats I can get are pretty far back however.

Can you drink?

Im probably forgetting a lot of things to ask so help me out people. Give me some tips and tell me what your experience was like when you went!

Fastrs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it’s worth it.
Yes, you can drink .... even adult beverages.

Pretty much any seat you can see the table well ( if the people in front of you stay seated )

We go every time it’s been in Vegas.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, you can drink, and there's a bar in the arena. Yes, there's a monitor in the arena which you can look up at and you'll see the live television feed.

The electricity at the Mosconi Cup is something special and the tickets are fairly priced given the superior quality of the arena. For example, my seat at Derby City costs $240 for nine days, or about $27 a day. A Mosconi Cup seat costs $170 for four days, about $42 a day. In other words, a Mosconi seat runs about 50% more per day than a Derby City seat, but rest assured it's worth every dollar of it! Nobody produces pool events like Matchroom. They set the standard in our sport.

The event itself brings pool to its highest level of energy. Nowhere does one find fans or players that are more enthusiastic. The Mosconi Cup is something you want to experience. I hope you check it out.

shaggybahama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its an experience that will have you asking yourself, what took me so long to do this? LOL, I can only imagine what this year will be like as the defending Team , USA , USA . its like the Super Bowl of Pool., , only the dates has made airline tickets very high.:(:( But as for the event itself it's worth every penny..

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Bring ear plugs. You can be sure a whole bunch of drunk Europeans will be screaming EUUUUUUUROPE!!!! at the top of their lungs every time something happens. Good or bad! Not even going to mention the stomping on the aluminum grandstands. Oops, I mentioned it anyway. Sorry!

Lyn

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Forgot to add one thing. Bring money. Lots of it. It's Mandalay Bay after all! Lyn
You can get lunch in the food court (Subway, Johnny Rocket's) near the tournament for about $10. Figure $35 for dinner at the Irish pub or at Hussong's Mexican place, both part way into the Shoppes towards the Luxor. Since play starts about 11AM, you can fill up on a late breakfast and then figure out where to eat after play ends around 4PM.

I'm staying about 3 miles away for the US Open. It's a large, clean room with a free continental breakfast and a microwave, sink and small refrigerator. There's a free shuttle to the Tropicana and about 20 minutes tram+walk after that.

Since I'm paying $72/night (taxes, resort fee included) a rental car seems free. Parking at MB is $15 but free at the Trop. I splurge on parking and my feet thank me -- there is enough walking in the MB itself. Uber/Lyft could work also. The car lets me go to Griff's or Hoover dam or the Valley of Fire, or a nice, inexpensive off-the-strip restaurant when I want to.

If you went with a group, some fraction of the expenses could be shared.

And regardless of where you stay, the Mosconi Cup is an event that every pool fan must go to at least once and I think you'll want to return. I've been to about 10 of them -- every one in Las Vegas and four in YUUUUROPPPP!!!

I see no need for earplugs -- hearing is overrated.

You should review the lyrics for Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" before you go. There will be a quiz. (I bet the OP thinks I'm kidding.)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im wondering if its worth it? Me and 2 other friends are close to pulling the trigger but would like some input from anyone whos been there before.

Is there a large screen for the live audience to see the table better? 4 day pass cost roughly $170. The seats I can get are pretty far back however.

Can you drink?

Im probably forgetting a lot of things to ask so help me out people. Give me some tips and tell me what your experience was like when you went!

I have been to several MCs.

The last time I went I signed up late and ended up in the way back seats. In all honesty I cannot recommend sitting back there. The angle on the bleachers is such that is difficult (near impossible) to see the table. Yes, there are screens but then you might as well watch at home.

Having said that, what ended up happening is that the first day was a sell out crowd and I sat in my way back seat tending my nose bleed. Day Two and there were a lot of empty seats so I reassigned myself to one closer to the action. Day Three there were even more empty seats and, once again taking the liberty to reassign myself, I ended up practically in the VIP section. So it ended up not so bad for me but I would never buy the way back seats again.

And yes you can drink... as heavily as your wallet will allow.

Lou Figueroa

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to pull the trigger and convince a lady friend of mine to come with. Should be a good time!

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes you can drink. Mandalay Bay Conventions had a bar right next to the US Open stands. A shot was $12, domestic beer in a can was $10, and Cokes were $6.50. Outside the arena where the cue sellers were, they had food. I paid $14 for a pastrami ciabatta, and bottles of Arrowhead were $6.50. They did have free tap water and plastic cups though.
Yes there were 2 large screens one for each side.

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes you can drink. Mandalay Bay Conventions had a bar right next to the US Open stands. A shot was $12, domestic beer in a can was $10, and Cokes were $6.50. Outside the arena where the cue sellers were, they had food. I paid $14 for a pastrami ciabatta, and bottles of Arrowhead were $6.50. They did have free tap water and plastic cups though.
Yes there were 2 large screens one for each side.

Those prices make London seem cheap...I never thought I’d say that!!!

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are some outrageous prices! To be expected I suppose. Do they check bags or purses before you go in? Can you bring your own water bottle?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those are some outrageous prices! To be expected I suppose. Do they check bags or purses before you go in? Can you bring your own water bottle?
Based on last year and the US Open (just concluded) there is a security check where they look in bags and run a metal detector over you. I'm not sure what the official policy is but the water and bananas in my official-looking briefcase got through.

While water was $6.50 -- mine was $0.15 from Walgreen's -- the beer was only $5. The cashier at the snack place was nearly unemployed.

The food court is a five-minute walk.