Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Greenland is not for sale, Trump cancels state visit to Denmark
Page 5 of 7 « First 345 67

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#61)
Jimmy M.
Insomniac
Jimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8950

08-21-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think he's having trouble admitting he's not an expert on this subject.
Sometimes the google lets him down.

Old
  (#62)
Smooth
AzB Silver Member
Smooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-21-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think he's having trouble admitting he's not an expert on this subject.
"trouble" admitting? hell, he knows from the git that he is not an expert on this, and most other subjects... except maybe rebuttal techniques... HEye calls him the bot... I get it... narrative, narrative, narrative

although I do give him serious street cred in the music threads... good stuff there... seriously

Old
  (#63)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

08-21-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofla View Post
I never heard of it. If you say you have, wouldn't you agree you are not an average person, and that you know things that are not common knowledge?

But then, I admit I don't read Pravda, or consider what it says at face value. As a state-owned propaganda organ, I instead presume it is stirring the sh!t for whatever line the Soviet Union or now, Russia, is trying to accomplish. Which since WW II has been, in part, to weaken the NATO alliance. Hey, that is also a goal of PDJT's (or if not a goal, his actual accomplishment), and endures to this day as Russia's continuing goal, under Putin.

So there are two dates mentioned.

Allowing for translation issues, that seems to mean the 1820s. Yep, I must have missed that in history class. Quick, what president indicated that interest? So, by 'has been showing,' does that mean continuously and on a regular basis, or just at that time and not again? I know what it normally implies in English when that tense is used, but again, there may be translation issues.

Was it then dropped for over a hundred years and only revisited following on the end of WW II? Perhaps so, and these bare facts can't say it didn't happen that way.

The end of WW II saw the onset of the Cold War, and the US with its western European allies facing off the Soviets and the Warsaw Pact. Greenland had a strategic value for staging US military forces to Europe (and protecting the Atlantic Ocean sea lanes), and so an offer was apparently made. (Again, which is such common knowledge I have never heard of it until now.) Then we got basing rights without buying it, and acquiesced on Denmark's sovereignty.

So has it been discussed OTHER THAN in the 1820s and c .1945-6? Ever? By whom?

Well, PDJT now, of course. Anyone else, I mean. If he's the only person in the past 73 years, which seems to be the case, is that some wild partisan agenda to mention it? Does the US now have some strategic interest there, relating to the Cold War, which ended c. 1993, 26 years ago?

Would some new plan to invade Cuba be unremarkable today, since we tried it in 1961? That's considerably more recent than 1945-6, after all.

I will mention I found out when visiting there two years ago, that Newfoundland had its own sovereignty, and considered whether to join the US or Canada. It was a close call, and going with Canada was pushed through by a big name politician there. Later, revisionists have convinced many he lied to get that result, and harmed Newfoundland, which would have been better off joining the US. That is common knowledge. But in Newfoundland.
I don't mean to imply that it is common to have specific knowledge of the matter.

I mean I would think it is common in general that the US has, for a very long time, had interests in Greenland, has history there, and has been interested in acquiring Greenland.

General knowledge. Not dates, times, names, etc.

That's just general US history.

We do have a significant military base there and it seems most people realize that. In fact it's a common running joke to screw up in the military and get sent to Greenland.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#64)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

08-21-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, PDJT is. Although he uses a virtual keyboard on his phone, not an actual keyboard. I am working on ignoring him, with some success, but he is very insistent on getting attention every single freaking day, and after all, he is the president, so...

That's kind of a strange comment.

I think it has been well established that most of what Trump puts out he dictates.

In his position I would do the same, without apology.

In fact, professionally I have dictated many notes.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#65)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

08-21-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaster View Post
Unfortunately over my 22 years of service I ran into a number of these guys of his caliber. Some managed to massage their way through the ranks and make chief. I listened to many in the mess over the years make the same rants as this character. I do not know if he served but if he did, by his own admission, he used his juniors to achieve his results. Sadly there were many that did this. I don't know if he earned those awards or not but it is obvious he has little to no respect for what he swore to protect....... shameful...........
Well, it takes all kinds.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt. People have to work hard to prove to me they are a dumbass or malicious, unless of course they come right out and prove it by some words or actions right up front.

So far, he's doing a pretty good job of that.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#66)
avmaster
Man of Reason
avmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

08-21-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Well, it takes all kinds.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt. People have to work hard to prove to me they are a dumbass or malicious, unless of course they come right out and prove it by some words or actions right up front.

So far, he's doing a pretty good job of that.
Yup it takes all kinds. I too feel as you do, I do give benefit of doubt, however in this case this person has come at some on here pretty hard and he is condescending as all get out.
Seem pretty arrogant as well.

Playing cue: Kenny Murrell
Break cue: 55 year old Helmstetter

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment.This is because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

Hey, it's your world, I'm just passing through it......

Old
  (#67)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

08-21-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaster View Post
Yup it takes all kinds. I too feel as you do, I do give benefit of doubt, however in this case this person has come at some on here pretty hard and he is condescending as all get out.
Seem pretty arrogant as well.
It happens.

I come of pretty harsh myself sometimes.

Somebody recently said I had a "God Complex" and that we had some difference of opinion about muscle cars or some other adolescent matter. He (she?) said because of that he had me on "Ignore". Obviously, since he was responding to me, he was not ignoring me, so it's a contradiction and a complete dipshit position and comment.

Nevertheless he seemed to invite me or give me permission to continue to comment. Like I need permission.

The funny thing is he (or she? no idea) seems to remember me and things they think they know about me and they judge me. And all along I have no idea who that person is nor do I make any assumptions about them. I just directly responded to their posts. Nothing else. Honest, sincere, and clear.

Odd, eh?

I guess some people just have a weak constitution and a small perspective on the world. They look at those who don't have that, are high achieving people because of that, and say they are arrogant or have a "God Complex". Smacks of resentment or perhaps some kind of inferiority psychology.

Anyway, yeah, takes all kinds.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#68)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

08-21-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit View Post
First of all, I'm not your son.

Second, If you are a fan of racist dumbasses, then yes, he's reclaimed America my son.

Where are your from, Tennessee, or Alabama?
Here you go sport, a wholesale source for all your stolen valor needs

Name:  Medal [800x600].jpg
Views: 67
Size:  24.4 KB

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Old
  (#69)
asiasdad
Banned
asiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2425

08-22-2019, 01:17 AM

Greenland being bought was Trump speak for
him notifying the globalists that he is
taking out their CIA black ops there.

That includes their torture prison,
Their human trafficking warehouse
mid range nuclear missile launch sites
as well as their narcotics transshipment
airport hangers.

BTW: is a Pangit that $hit stick in the jungle ?

Old
  (#70)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member
Sofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond repute

08-22-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
I can't tell... are you proving, or disproving, that this is not a new idea?
I am showing it has not been any kind of enduring interest. It came up only twice before in history, about 73 years ago and about 160 years ago.

Seward (of 'Seward's Folly' fame for purchasing Alaska) asked about it in Lincoln's time, very long ago. And then Truman did, because of the onset of the Cold War and wanting to keep US forces and a base there (while Denmark wanted them out after war's end). When he raised it then, they were shocked at the proposal. It was done secretly and kept classified, and only became public c. 1970. Meanwhile, all this intervening time we have kept the basing via a lease and by permission.

Denmark wasn't interested (and was shocked at the idea) even when the Cold War started up. So the idea was dropped all this time, getting what we thought we needed as to basing the regular way. Now, Greenland's legal status has been changed, and their new sovereignty means Denmark cannot sell it even if they wanted to (which they do not).

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.

― Garry Kasparov

... the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts.

― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Old
  (#71)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

08-22-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I am showing it has not been any kind of enduring interest. It came up only twice before in history, about 73 years ago and about 160 years ago.
So what?

How does a long history translate into "enduring interest"?

In a nation as young as ours, 160 years is most certainly a long history.

And if you think that the history is just those two matters you specify, then I think you are intentionally ignoring a great deal of history.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#72)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member
Sofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond repute

08-22-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
So what?

How does a long history translate into "enduring interest"?

In a nation as young as ours, 160 years is most certainly a long history.

And if you think that the history is just those two matters you specify, then I think you are intentionally ignoring a great deal of history.

The point is there have not been many presidents who also sought to buy it (there was one, for a specific reason that no longer obtains), and the US has not been trying to buy it on any on-going basis (asked twice, and dropped it entirely a long time ago).

Nobody would try to excuse a plan to invade Canada, Russia, or Cuba, or seize the Philippines, now, on the basis that it was done in the past (once each), in very different times for specific reasons that no longer obtain.

So the actual question should be to those who raise the scant historical precedents as to why they try to make such an excuse.

Who would think it a good reason or any plausible defense now to try to pack up the Supreme Court with extra justices, to argue, well, FDR tried to do it? He did, and it not only failed, but is considered one of many stains on his record.

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.

― Garry Kasparov

... the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts.

Last edited by Sofla; 08-22-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Old
  (#73)
Alan
AzB Silver Member
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute

08-22-2019, 10:17 AM

Beto O'Rourke has said in 2019 that adding justices is worth looking at. Buttigieg has even supplied a new number. Packing the court is always on the Democrats mind if they think they aren't f-ing up the Constitution at a steady rate.

Greenland has been a strategic spot on the globe for centuries. Two past presidents have suggested a purchase. It's not that crazy. Look at a globe. Pretending that this president is out of step for suggesting it is backwards. This president is just brazen enough to ask. If you haven't noticed, he doesn't have much in terms of filters or inhibitions.

Quote:
The point is there have not been many presidents who also sought to buy it (there was one, for a specific reason that no longer obtains), and the US has not been trying to buy it on any on-going basis (asked twice, and dropped it entirely a long time ago).

Nobody would try to excuse a plan to invade Canada, Russia, or Cuba, or seize the Philippines, now, on the basis that it was done in the past (once each), in very different times for specific reasons that no longer obtain.

So the actual question should be to those who raise the scant historical precedents as to why they try to make such an excuse.

Who would think it a good reason or any plausible defense now to try to pack up the Supreme Court with extra justices, to argue, well, FDR tried to do it? He did, and it not only failed, but is considered one of many stains on his record.

Old
  (#74)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

08-22-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
That's your point?

That certainly isn't THE point as you say.

It's just you pointing out the obvious at the expense of...everything else.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#75)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member

08-22-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
That's your point?

That certainly isn't THE point as you say.

It's just you pointing out the obvious at the expense of...everything else.

That was my point, to counter your point claiming the opposite, as I read it.

It has not been any constant or even periodic goal of the US to buy it. It has been our goal to have access to basing there as of WW II, through the Cold War and to current times. And we have maintained constant access, via the lease arrangements allowed, for more than 73 years.

This current strange idea was leaked by administration insiders because they found it bizarre. They were stunned when he first raised it, thought he might not be serious about it, but then he kept raising it over the past six weeks. So the leak was probably to try to assure he didn't raise it in Denmark, or at least, to preview it to them so it wouldn't catch them unprepared and gobsmacked.

He responded to questions about the leak by saying, yes, it was being considered, but it would not be the first order of business and not the most important thing.

Then when the PM said it wouldn't be considered and that it was an absurd idea, he thanked her for saving everyone a waste of time, canceling the trip altogether. As if that was indeed the most important thing about the trip, and if it would not be favorably received, there was no other reason to go.

This was a formal state visit, that had been long in the planning. He was to meet the Danish royal family as well as the PM within a few weeks, and Denmark had prepared a five star welcome and planned the massive security required. He brusquely canceled all of it without any apparent reason except for the word that Greenland isn't for sale (which no one seriously thought it was), and called the PM's comment 'nasty' (his favorite complaint reserved for women). He feigns shock and outrage over very small slights, when that is his own stock in trade.

Denmark is a formal long-time ally, and a reliable one, which has lost blood and dead soldiers in support of the US in our misguided quagmire wars. Anyone who can defend there is any reason for causing strained relations with them, and particularly over this bullsh!t, is showing sycophantic cult of personality irrationality.

― Garry Kasparov

Last edited by Sofla; 08-22-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Page 5 of 7 « First 345 67

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: