Is Pool a Sport?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Actually, my "cause" is for the Olympics to be about basic athleticism. I don't think curling or pool truly belong. I was just saying if they're going to do all the crazy stuff they do now, then why not pool.

And why not cornhole?

cornhole.jpg

Why not this.. and why not that???

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Actually, my "cause" is for the Olympics to be about basic athleticism. I don't think curling or pool truly belong. I was just saying if they're going to do all the crazy stuff they do now, then why not pool.

l would agree, because thee most recognized sports figure on the planet at one time was Willie Hoppe and Mosconi, then matters devolved once the Hustler came out & then Color of Money. Sure they gave the industry a boost, but nothing to last. If you ever tell someone you don't know....that you play pool..............FIRST word out of their mouth...............as they giggle, are you a Pool Shark? That's the publics narrow minded mindset in the states, and only time and ?????????? will change that narrow way of thinking. Now if anyone was to say you don't have to be in good shape to win a major pro event, ask Mika how easy it was to lose his first match at the US Open and come thru the losers side and win, he HAD to be in great physical shape, and he looks to be in great shape.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
l would agree, because thee most recognized sports figure on the planet at one time was Willie Hoppe and Mosconi, then matters devolved once the Hustler came out & then Color of Money. Sure they gave the industry a boost, but nothing to last. If you ever tell someone you don't know....that you play pool..............FIRST word out of their mouth...............as they giggle, are you a Pool Shark? That's the publics narrow minded mindset in the states, and only time and ?????????? will change that narrow way of thinking. Now if anyone was to say you don't have to be in good shape to win a major pro event, ask Mika how easy it was to lose his first match at the US Open and come thru the losers side and win, he HAD to be in great physical shape, and he looks to be in great shape.

Whether pool is a sport or not is a different question as to whether or not it should be *an Olympic sport*. I think plenty of sports (or games, depending on your stance) deserve a better world stage than what they currently get. Pool is definitely in this category. I just don't think pool is Olympic but that doesn't mean a. I don't want to see pool in the Olympics or b. I don't think pool deserves the world's attention.

Hell, the Olympics only happens once every four years. There's plenty of time to do other things.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member

multiple time champions in their sport - mike.jpgjeter.jpgelway.jpgpete.jpgvarner.jpg

admittedly most of the popular sports are team sports, but I included Sampras in there too. No offense to Nick, but did he have to be in the same shape as these others to win his championships? His game had to be GREAT, but as far as in shape??? nah

Last edited:
Reactions: KRJ

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
And why not cornhole?

cornhole.jpg

Why not this.. and why not that???

it's a sport too ;)

Just not a very athletic sport that requires speed, strenghth, endurance or other physical attributes necessary for many of the most difficult sports.

But if it requires some form of eye hand skill or precision, now matter how low, it's still a sport.

Example: Poker or chess, I don't need to make the moves, or any hand eye coordination as all.. heck, I could have someone else hold my cards, or move the pieces at my direction, and it does not affect the outcome of the game.

Not so in a "sport" (that I can think of right now, but I'm pretty sure someone will find one that fits that criteria ;)

thus, pool falls into the bowling category, not extremely difficult learn or play well, but just like anything else, very difficult to become the very best at it. I'm sure some curlers could give us the Orange Crush and rob us all night :)

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Ok, maybe this guy was not an athlete in the regular sense (at least not at the moment this picture was taken), but he could to things with the cueball that no gym rat or track runner could ever duplicate no matter how well trained they are. It is time for pool players to get some of their pride back, and realize that playing pool is a skill of the highest order, lets start to treat our game with the respect it deserves and maybe we will get some respect from others in return.

agreed - Kevin Stadler and John Daly were certainly no Bo Jackson or Usain Bolt, but they had the "GAME" to win championships. I give credit where credit is due. Miz at the top of his game was a joy to watch, and feared by most other competitors.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, maybe this guy was not an athlete in the regular sense (at least not at the moment this picture was taken), but he could to things with the cueball that no gym rat or track runner could ever duplicate no matter how well trained they are. It is time for pool players to get some of their pride back, and realize that playing pool is a skill of the highest order, lets start to treat our game with the respect it deserves and maybe we will get some respect from others in return.

"This guy" is Steve Mizerak and sadly, this photo was from 2000 at the US Open Straight Pool at Roseland, only six years before he passed away. If you go to Billie Billing's site, you can see photos of him during his better years.

http://www.billiebilliards.com/pointers008.html

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't remember where this quote came from....
"There are only 2 true sports, auto racing and bull riding.....the
rest are just games."

This is an old quote, and whoever said it thought that death had to be a factor
to be considered a sport.

When it comes down to the grit of the matter, pool is as much of a sport then most of the rest on that list. When you buy a pool cue, they are still considered sporting goods. And as far as I know, pool is still the number one participation sport in the US. The problem is time. Most people don't have the time these days to dedicate to really achieve greatness. There is no substitute for practice to become accomplished at billiards. Most in our society look for instant gratification. They want something and they want it now! Not going to happen in billiards. Most of the younger generations are too busy on their computers and cell phones. How many times have you played a league and your opponent stops to take a call or send text messages? They can't put it down for 10 minutes. Its become so much of a problem, some leagues are considering cell phone use during a match a foul, or at least a sportsmanship violation.

Until we as a people get away from the addiction to electronics, and it is very much an addiction, pool isn't going to grow much. Modern conveniences remove hard work from a task. It requires "work ethics" to get good at anything. And we all know what has happened to work ethics in this country. Its rapidly becoming non existent.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Can't remember where this quote came from....
"There are only 2 true sports, auto racing and bull riding.....the
rest are just games..

^^^ Ernest Hemingway.

"The only sports are auto racing, mountaineering, and bull fighting, everything else is just a game."

atheistpally

Registered
I think the easiest way to differentiate between a sport and a game is to ask the question:

Could someone become good at this without ever actually doing it?

In the case of chess and poker, the answer is yes, meaning they're games. Someone could simply read and memorize all of the rules and techniques relating to the game and end up mastering it without ever physically participating in the activity itself.

In the case of everything else listed on that graph, the answer is no. All of them would require hands-on practice and/or training before being able to compete with top tier players.

We've all seen beginners trying to learn how to play pool who struggle to hold the cue properly. It's definitely a sport.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gambling isn't "bad," it's actually a catalyst for TV Ratings.

I heard "America" just stopped gambling on football, basketball, and boxing.....right. LoL

Gambling fuels all sports and games that have reached the billion dollar level....even snooker in England is largely supported by gambling.

I agree, but unfortunately America simply will not STOP GAMBLING in order for this to happen... :thumb up:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard "America" just stopped gambling on football, basketball, and boxing.....right. LoL

Gambling fuels all sports and games that have reached the billion dollar level....even snooker in England is largely supported by gambling.

The difference being the players in the respective sports aren't allowed to gamble. Big difference.