the idea is to enjoy life
Old
  (#31)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

the idea is to enjoy life - 08-10-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
The cues I keep in my car and truck cost a few hundred bucks each and case and all weigh less than 3 pounds. I'm not counting on some bar manager to keep a decent cue on the wall and I'm not trying to snow anyone by acting like I just picked the game up earlier that day.

I suppose I could tie my shoelaces together or tape one eye closed if the object here is to make life more difficult than it needs to be.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The idea is to enjoy life. I shoot best on the short track these days. That doesn't stop me from getting on a nine footer or snooker table every chance I get because I find them more fun. I could restrict myself to one cue and become even more of a hothouse player than I am but I carry two with me all the time when I know I am going to play pool and still play off the wall about as often as not.

One stick is my sixty inch cue that I have worked to suit me and turned the shaft for. I spent months perfecting that taper. This cue is also very light. Wrapless which I generally favor. The other cue is a junk wrapped butt I turned a shaft for. I need the wrapped butt when I want to shoot using a slipstroke. No doubt the slipstroke is something else you wouldn't understand. While it is the best to use in a few situations the main reason to use it is that it is enjoyable and an art that I think should be preserved. Other strokes are easier to execute. Sometimes it isn't all about easy.

Hu

Old
  (#32)
wreiman
AzB Silver Member
wreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-10-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebeginnin View Post
I would trade all my Balabuskas, Szamboti’s and Moteys (for any house cue), to have the eyes I had in the late 60’s and 70’s when I could really play the game!
So true, what I am missing is my eyesite. Every so often I see everything clearly.
but a barcue butt with a good maple shaft (conversion cue) normally workes as well as anything.

Last edited by wreiman; 08-10-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Old
  (#33)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-10-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
... No doubt the slipstroke is something else you wouldn't understand....

Hu
You got that right, I have no idea what you are talking about but I'm trying to relate it to something I said so that's probably throwing me off.

Old
  (#34)
9BallKY
AzB Silver Member
9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
My point wasn't to promote carbon fiber or LD shafts specifically. I just mean a manufacturer's mid-tier and up, and not the cheapest stuff they make. Some of the better ones out there are LD in name only anyhow.

I'm just suggesting that a modern production cue is dismissed by the custom cue crowd for reasons other than playability. As art, I completely understand. As an investment, well maybe more a gamble but I suppose some go up. But as tool, you can do as good or better for 90% less money.
I absolutely agree with this. I play with a custom cue not because itís makes me better but because I like how it plays. Iíve played a lot of years with a production cue like you mentioned. The only problem in switching cues is they do play a little different and sometimes when a person plays with one off the wall or a borrowed cue thereís that lack of comfort that comes from a cue you know well. A couple days with any cue though and a person should play about their normal speed with it.

Iíve got a Players cue sitting in the rack at home for guests to use. I hate the thing , donít like the feel of the shaft or the hit but I can still run racks with it. My son used to have a Players cue that I thought played pretty good.

Old
  (#35)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Stick View Post
I am going to go out on a limb here and state that the builder of a cue makes no difference to your win loss record. Iíve picked up a basic bar cue and as long as the tip is correct won games. I have had MANY CUSTOM cues and yes they provide a feeling of familiarity but they donít mean iíll Win. Winning is more ability and reading the table than the cue I am shooting with. I am not a AAA player but at least in my mind I can beat 80 percent of the players 50 percent of the time. Iíve owned more than a few high end cues that were built by some of the best to my specs and if I did my part they all performed. Yes having my own cue gives me a comfort factor but in only maybe two out of a hundred shots does the actual cue make the difference and when it does it in all honesty is probably the tip and itís performance that is the difference. I play with custom cues and APPRECIATE doing so how ever anyone that plays with a bar cue or a cheap personal cue has no reason to feel inadequate, you play the table and to win, your biggest asset is your brain, your ability and your shots.
But what about SVB, he went from a Schon to a Cuetec to a CF shaft and he went from one of the best in the world to one of the best in the world. Or Shaw who went from Meucci to Peri and starting winning as much as he used to before the swap.

Oh... wait... you may have a point.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#36)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
about 1963 or so I ran 101 balls with a house cue.
I was 16 years old.
I didn't know that I was supposed to have a Balabuska,Paradise or a Palmer cue to do that.
My high pool run was done with a house cue at a table propped up 2" on one side because the floor was not level, and I normally shoot with an LD shaft.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

My apologies, something you said hours ago!
Old
  (#37)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

My apologies, something you said hours ago! - 08-10-2019, 07:41 AM

(start rereading here)
Quote:
You got that right, I have no idea what you are talking about but I'm trying to relate it to something I said so that's probably throwing me off.

I am sure you have problems relating present thoughts to something you said hours ago. I do apologize, you probably have slept since you made the comment below. I didn't mean to overtax your IQ or memory! I pasted your comment mine related to right below so as not to overtax you again. Hopefully you can handle struggling your way through from top to bottom of one post.

Quote:
I suppose I could tie my shoelaces together or tape one eye closed if the object here is to make life more difficult than it needs to be.
After you said that, I said this:
"No doubt the slipstroke is something else you wouldn't understand. While it is the best to use in a few situations the main reason to use it is that it is enjoyable and an art that I think should be preserved. Other strokes are easier to execute. Sometimes it isn't all about easy." (after reading the entire post once, read to here and go back to the top as many times as needed. I really don't know how I can make things easier for you to comprehend.)

Then you replied as quoted at the top of this post admitting your comprehension difficulties. Everything is in one post for you now so please cut laps through the text above this paragraph until some level of comprehension dawns or you melt down and have to go to your happy place.

Hu

Old
  (#38)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
(start rereading here)

I am sure you have problems relating present thoughts to something you said hours ago. I do apologize, you probably have slept since you made the comment below. I didn't mean to overtax your IQ or memory! I pasted your comment mine related to right below so as not to overtax you again. Hopefully you can handle struggling your way through from top to bottom of one post.

After you said that, I said this:

"No doubt the slipstroke is something else you wouldn't understand. While it is the best to use in a few situations the main reason to use it is that it is enjoyable and an art that I think should be preserved. Other strokes are easier to execute. Sometimes it isn't all about easy." (after reading the entire post once, read to here and go back to the top as many times as needed. I really don't know how I can make things easier for you to comprehend.)

Then you replied as quoted at the top of this post admitting your comprehension difficulties. Everything is in one post for you now so please cut laps through the text above this paragraph until some level of comprehension dawns or you melt down and have to go to your happy place.

Hu
You're trying way too hard. This is going nowhere. I think you know what I'm saying and just being obtuse to amuse yourself.

Old
  (#39)
Shuddy
AzB Silver Member
Shuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
You're trying way too hard. This is going nowhere. I think you know what I'm saying and just being obtuse to amuse yourself.

Jesus, you were a lot more polite than I would have been. That post reminded me of either a smart person trying to sound stupid, or a stupid person trying to sound smart.

Old
  (#40)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member

JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 08:57 AM

There's a saying I made to cover situations like this: It's the Indian, not the arrow, that makes the difference.

Now what that means is that the cue itself (the arrow henceforth post haste) is not nearly as important as the one operating or wielding it (the engine) now that we know...AHHHHHH. ...ugh....un.

Sorry I recently woke up after a whole night of very strange dreams. Having my Cue helps get me in the zone for sure. I don't think I've ever gotten in a zone with any other cue, so it may not be a magical thing but a cue that's melded with you will, in fact, make you play better. I call this the arrow/indian continuum.

Old
  (#41)
logical
sarcasm while you wait

08-10-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post
There's a saying I made to cover situations like this: It's the Indian, not the arrow, that makes the difference.

Now what that means is that the cue itself (the arrow henceforth post haste) is not nearly as important as the one operating or wielding it (the engine) now that we know...AHHHHHH. ...ugh....un.

Sorry I recently woke up after a whole night of very strange dreams. Having my Cue helps get me in the zone for sure. I don't think I've ever gotten in a zone with any other cue, so it may not be a magical thing but a cue that's melded with you will, in fact, make you play better. I call this the arrow/indian continuum.
Thanks, you are the one that came up with that are you? It's very clever.

And thanks for explaining it too, we've all been waiting.

Last edited by logical; 08-10-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Old
  (#42)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Can I offer a healthy sponsorship with the cue, then see what happens?

You can but if it's a world class player he will want you to get the cue to his specs.

Old
  (#43)
Cadillac J
AzB Silver Member
Cadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Anybody ever watch "Break from Life" on YT. Its a British dude who plays and teaches snooker. Really cool site. The cue this guy uses is a piece of crap. If you get a close-up of his tip/ferrule it literally looks like a dog chewed on it. Doesn't matter. He likes it and KNOWS it. Cues are so over-rated. If its pretty straight with a decent tip you can run out with it. So they say.
Yes, I do watch his videos from time to time...and I know exactly what you are talking about with his tip (it's larger in diameter than the ferrule, so it looks like a mushroom).

My WX700 has 2 cracks in ferrule and horrible-looking tip...plays perfect.

My Meucci Pro tip got shredded when I tried to use a new tool...no flat sides on the tip, but the part that hits is shaped fine...plays perfect.

I don't buy into many of the things I've read on here over the years. Experiences, skills and preferences can be vastly different from person to person, so regardless of how long someone has played pocket billiards or been a part of this forum is not always a good indication of things.

Old
  (#44)
Cadillac J
AzB Silver Member
Cadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
My WX700 has 2 cracks in ferrule and horrible-looking tip...plays perfect.

My Meucci Pro tip got shredded when I tried to use a new tool...no flat sides on the tip, but the part that hits is shaped fine...plays perfect.
pic

I explain things in painful detail
Old
  (#45)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!

I explain things in painful detail - 08-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:

After having to leave written instructions for work crews without being able to follow-up by phone and having to illustrate and edit procedures in a nuclear power plant I write in detail a person with a grade school education can understand. When someone fails to understand I have to suspect they are the one being deliberately obtuse. The other possibility is that they really are as dumb as a box of rocks. When they name themselves logical, I figure it is either a reminder to themselves to try to be logical or it is irony since they have no intent of being logical.

I don't know or care who you are but I'd bet a pretty that this isn't your first account here and we know each other from when you used another name. Possibly you are just a jackass to everyone you don't know but I doubt that, it takes more effort than it is really worth.

Hu

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: