The BIG Mezz shaft thread!

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if trimming the shaft width on an ExPro is ok and what the minimum shaft diameter is before hurting performance if so?

Thanks,
Koop

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I did something similar to this a few years ago, after jumping on the Mezz band wagon. To this day I still think they are the best widely produced, not mass produced, cues on the market.

I have had all but the WX700 shafts I think, and multiples of the WD700 in various joints. Overall maybe 15-20 shafts total and probably a dozen cues.

Imo, the wavy pin cues felt the best to me but limiting yourself to only those shafts is a total pain in the ass. This is the only butt I have left and I had it converted to a 3/8x11 and also extended the wrap to the buttcap. If someone offered me the top of the line Predator, OB...etc cue in trade for this one, with the assumption that I could not sell it there is zero chance id take it. The Mezz CJ series cues are impossible to beat for the price and what youre getting.

Look close at the WD700, that shaft was completely broke in pieces and splintered. I glued it up and sanded it down and not only does it roll good it plays no different than before lol.

Attachments

• IMG_8763.jpg
    IMG_8763.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 2,124
  • IMG_8764.jpg
    IMG_8764.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 2,038
  • IMG_8765.jpg
    IMG_8765.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 2,018
  • IMG_8767.jpg
    IMG_8767.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,981
  • IMG_8768.jpg
    IMG_8768.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 2,005

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just purchased a WX900 from the Mezz booth today at the SBE. Couldn`t be happier with this new shaft.

Dilbert

Registered
How does the carbon core fare with the shaft from warping? Does the hcc help hp2/expro maintain its straightness?

MalibuMike

Banned
yes!

Does anyone know if trimming the shaft width on an ExPro is ok and what the minimum shaft diameter is before hurting performance if so?

Thanks,
Koop
i CHANGED THE TAPER ON MY MEZZ ProEx, it was 12.7mm and i went 11" back and started a conical taper down to 11.75! Hits even better! Less deflection and much better control of the CUE BALL! The ferrule came down real easy as well did not have to replace it!

I put a Zan Medium ON MINE!

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i CHANGED THE TAPER ON MY MEZZ ProEx, it was 12.7mm and i went 11" back and started a conical taper down to 11.75! Hits even better! Less deflection and much better control of the CUE BALL! The ferrule came down real easy as well did not have to replace it!

I put a Zan Medium ON MINE!

Just saw this. Thanks, Mike!

MalibuMike

Banned
Is Mezz coming out with a Composite Cue to beat out that Revo!

The Mezz coming out with a Composite Cue to beat out that Revo!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just purchased a WX900 from the Mezz booth today at the SBE. Couldn`t be happier with this new shaft.
I tried out a WX900 shaft for the first time last night, and was quite impressed. I had initially tried a WX700 with my Mezz MSP model and was disappointed with the amount of deflection compared to what I'm used to. Then I ordered and have been playing with a Mezz EXPro shaft for nearly 6 months, and have been very pleased with it, particuarly with the considerable less deflection.

On a whim last night I tried out a WX900 since I had one I'd ordered with a Mezz MSP model cue which I'm selling. Is it just me, or does the WX900 actually have LESS deflection than the EXPro? It seemed maybe the WX900 shaft couldn't apply quite as much spin to the cue ball when using extreme english as I can my EXPro shaft, but the tradeoff for having even less deflection and still a very sold feeling hit might make it worth switching for me.

Any feedback from those have given a good trial / workout to both of those two shafts and how they compare? Thanks!

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Here is a link to the same review for those not on Facebook :)

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=477819

I might add that I have since purchased an ACE180 Mezz that came with the WX alpha shaft and I like it even more after taking the taper back a little and putting on a tip that I like. It is a great shaft, I like it a lot.

Just got mine today and I absolutely love it paired with my Guerra cue, modified 3/8X10 threads go right on the wavy nice and snug. I think I may bring back the taper a bit on the back side as well, defiantly a monster but not sure yet as I am quite comfortable with it so far. 12.8mm is great and I have played with plenty of other shafts from 13 down to 11.85 with plenty of time into all of them to see what they have to offer.

I love the WX-A it's stiffness, action and ping when contacting the cue ball is definitely my cup of tea, it moves the cue ball with ease. Nothing like great quality wood shaft with low deflection properties, Mezz has done it again!

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
UPDATE:

Brought the taper back a bit and took some meat off of it further back and it plays real well not loosing any stiffness but baking it more comfortable for me. Also now that the kamui tip is broken in and reshaped it plays pretty sporty but I think my next tip I will install would be a Zan medium. I would highly recommend this shaft to anyone who enjoys shafts closer to a 13mm.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a mezz axi. Two Months ago with wx900 12mm shaft. Been playing everyday with it. So I have an opinion on it.
I also just a few days ago picked up an Ex-pro shaft 12.5mm wavy and a Alpha hybrid 12.8mm with a 5-16 pin for jacoby joss schon
I wish I could find my calipers so I could measure the tapers every three inches on these three shafts I'm kinda curious. But anyways I'll be giving a review of the three soon. I will say mezz uses great shaft wood.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a mezz axi. Two Months ago with wx900 12mm shaft. Been playing everyday with it. So I have an opinion on it.
I also just a few days ago picked up an Ex-pro shaft 12.5mm wavy and a Alpha hybrid 12.8mm with a 5-16 pin for jacoby joss schon
I wish I could find my calipers so I could measure the tapers every three inches on these three shafts I'm kinda curious. But anyways I'll be giving a review of the three soon. I will say mezz uses great shaft wood.

Every Mezz I have seen had great shaft wood.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just an fyi...fact the United joint insert shaft does not fit a standard 5/16-14 butt pin(schon jOSS jacoby ect...). It starts fine but tightens up halfway down and will not turn.
A 5/16-14 shaft does fit the United pin butt. What's the deal with the United but pin?

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's like the thread count is the same between the two but the threads are Fatter on the 5/16-14 pin