Mosconi Cup: Nine-Ball, Big Pockets, Short Races

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi Cup: Nine-Ball, Big Pockets, Short Races, Alternate Breaks

I mention it every year. The most exciting, interesting, and successful event in our sport, the Mosconi Cup, chooses to host short races playing nine-ball, alternate breaks on generous tables. Looks right to me. I don't see ten-ball, long sets, winner breaks, on stingie tables, a path to growth and popularity.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mention it every year. The most exciting, interesting, and successful event in our sport, the Mosconi Cup, chooses to host short races playing nine-ball on generous tables. Looks right to me. I don't see ten-ball, long sets, on stingie tables, a path to popularity and growth.
Got that right. I do like ten-ball better but short races and pockets that aren't crazy make for better spectator pool. This table would NOT play anything like this if the cloth had a month or two of wear. I've seen the Diamonds at DCC play like this with fresh Simonis.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mention it every year. The most exciting, interesting, and successful event in our sport, the Mosconi Cup, chooses to host short races playing nine-ball on generous tables. Looks right to me. I don't see ten-ball, long sets, on stingie tables, a path to growth and popularity.

Bingo

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mention it every year. The most exciting, interesting, and successful event in our sport, the Mosconi Cup, chooses to host short races playing nine-ball on generous tables. Looks right to me. I don't see ten-ball, long sets, on stingie tables, a path to growth and popularity.

It may be successful, but I don't find the short race format to be overly exciting or interesting.

I don't mind the "generous" pockets, but I'd prefer a longer race and winner breaks.

I realize that they are trying to appeal to people that aren't necessarily "pool players", but this format is more of an "exhibition" than it is a "tournament".

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may be successful, but I don't find the short race format to be overly exciting or interesting.

I don't mind the "generous" pockets, but I'd prefer a longer race and winner breaks.

I realize that they are trying to appeal to people that aren't necessarily "pool players", but this format is more of an "exhibition" than it is a "tournament".
Exactly. This is like the WWF-meets-9ball. Its all about the drama/excitement/doggin it, you name it. Its NOT a "who is the best player" tournament. If this event used tight-ass tables and long sets it wouldn't have lasted anywhere near this long.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think the world pool masters is the best tv-tournament right now. best production and no drunk crowd. hopefully the US open will be even better

mosconi cup is great for what it is, and i don't argue with the format. it's a competition in handling the pressure

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mention it every year. The most exciting, interesting, and successful event in our sport, the Mosconi Cup, chooses to host short races playing nine-ball, alternate breaks on generous tables. [...]

I agree with you. If I were to suggest a change, I would remove the games that are

break --> easy layout --> out: Those have the least drama

I would replace with either

(1) mandatory roll out after the break --makes every game interesting
(2) One PUSH CARD per race-to-5 where once per match you can force opponent to roll out.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bar down the street puts on a short-race 9-ball event on generous pockets every Tuesday night... Matchroom are pros and could package just about any format into something exciting with high production value... Pool is lucky to have them.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It’s an exhibition of sorts but certainly not an exhibition match judging by the reactions of the players. They appear to be going through the full range of emotions associated with being in a pressure cooker situation. Pretty exciting in my book. Long races offers a different kind of excitement. I’m a pool player and think both have their place - in this kind of match up longer races would be boring and would actually defeat the object of the competition.

As for winner breaks, I think a majority of “pool players”on the planet that you are living on find alternate break fairer, more relevant and more exciting.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If so, how is snooker more successful than pool? They have tiny pockets and each frame last for 15-20 minutes...

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
it's a contest of pressure like nothing else

do you ever see Kaci miss so many shots? Shaw rattle that many shots?

dont spoil the fun by mentioning the table, it affects players equally. EVERY YEAR there are posts about the table.

they got so many things right: the venue, the crowd, the pressure, alternate break, clock shot, team/double/single matches... I actually like the shorter races in such events because it simply allow less margin for errors, thus increasing the pressure.

after all, the teams who put in most efforts in preparation, and play with greater hearts will be rewarded.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If so, how is snooker more successful than pool? They have tiny pockets and each frame last for 15-20 minutes...

Nothing to do with snooker. All to do with what is the best format for the Mosconi Cup - a team competition made up of a series of matches. Snooker is always alternate break by the way. And the races are usually pretty short until a tournament gets deep or if it’s the Worlds.

The success of snooker is not an argument for longer races and winner breaks making the Mosconi Cup more exciting. Snooker is never winner breaks though so maybe they onto something.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker always had a big following in the U.K. It just took Barry Hearn to get it out of the 'ol smoky clubs and on to t.v. The nature of the game itself leads to longer matches. Pool, not so much. If the MC had gone with super tight pockets and longer matches it would not have lasted so long. I could see a MC-style snooker event with club-size pockets and shorter matches. I'd watch for sure. I love watching snooker but its the time issue that keeps me from watching more.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Snooker is more popular than pool in England for the same reason that the NFL is more popular here in the States than soccer, and for the same reason that baseball is more popular here than cricket. Snooker has been part of the Brits' sporting culture for something like 150 years, whereas 30 years ago you could barely find a pool table anywhere from Brighton to Scotland.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

More successful where? Not in the US. Not in Asia to my knowledge, Certainly not in the PI, Maybe more successful in Europe, but according to a friend, more and more billiards clubs and pool tables in pubs are popping up in the UK, so maybe pool will overtake snooker in Europe at some point?

I am not a snooker expert, but outside of Europe I just don't see the worldwide participation that pool has....could certainly be wrong though.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
This is exciting pool. Real drama that is easily understood by complete pool newbies. People who dont play pool would never be able to tell the difference between the event on 4.25 inch diamonds or the bucket rassons being used. All they know is that the player missed (boring) or played safe (really boring turn the channel).

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More successful where? Not in the US. Not in Asia to my knowledge, Certainly not in the PI, Maybe more successful in Europe, but according to a friend, more and more billiards clubs and pool tables in pubs are popping up in the UK, so maybe pool will overtake snooker in Europe at some point?

I am not a snooker expert, but outside of Europe I just don't see the worldwide participation that pool has....could certainly be wrong though.

Snooker is huge in Asia.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I mention it every year. The most exciting, interesting, and successful event in our sport, the Mosconi Cup, chooses to host short races playing nine-ball, alternate breaks on generous tables. Looks right to me. I don't see ten-ball, long sets, winner breaks, on stingie tables, a path to growth and popularity.

Looks like a shit show to me... but that's part of it's success and appeal. It's the one pool event where the crowd gets to interact well more then what they should... the crowds rowdy reaction is also an example of what might attract the average channel surfer. They might stop on their favorite UK sports channel and see pool on. Where they might normally watch for a couple minutes, they instead watch a little longer because the event is more fast paced, rowdy, and exciting.

The tournament overall is a gimmick and the table is a gaff and the crowd is a joke... add all these things together and throw the best pool players in the world in the mix and you got something that pool fans and non pool fans can watch.

Am I happy US is doing well this year? Sure. Do I really care if they win? No. In the grand scheme of things it is a glorified exhibition match and free pay day that does not showcase the players true abilities.

Not only this event, but other majors as well, it seems the equipment is a bit too easy at least when it comes to ball pocketing. I've seen so many shots that should hang up or spit out but are accepted... but I guess this also goes towards the entertainment side of the game. Who wants to watch pros rattle balls? Not the average viewer... they want to see them spear the long table length straight in shot at Mach 1.

In my opinion, the average to above average pool player likes to see the pros struggle on a tougher table. It reminds them that the pros are human as well and can miss the same shots you are missing. It also gives a greater respect to the pro when they so spear that hard shot on tighter pockets. When they fire the ball straight in rather then hitting 1 or more diamonds up with the pocket still accepting it.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bigger than pool?Wow, Never knew that. Learnt something today!:thumbup:
Snooker and Chinese 8ball are both extremely popular all over Asia. Look how many Asian players are currently on WorldSnookerTour. Some of the Korean and Chinese players are very good.