Which Pocket & Why #2

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Side pocket doesn't make sense!..

Bottom corner pocket. Just a SAM 4 or 45 degree cut!

randyg

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The corner, for 2 reasons. No matter what angle you get on the 2, position to the 3 is fairly easy. Also it's almost impossible to get hooked whereas if you play to the side you can easily hit a little too hard and end up behind the 7.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor:

I think DCP had a typo and meant either the left hand corner pocket, or the right hand corner pocket, from the perspective of the shooter.

I'd shoot the shot to the left hand pocket, because that would leave 2 rail draw shape for the 3 to the 5, where the CB would draw around the 6 and 9 nicely.

If the shot in question was the game winning 9 ball, I'd shoot it in the right hand pocket, which is an easier shot, IMO.

DCP, since I try a lot of your shots on video and post them in your threads, how about you try both ways 5 times each on video, and then I will do the same?

*EDIT* I had a total brain fart, and did not even see the 1 ball on the table! And I thought the player was shooting the 2 ball now to get on the 3. Sorry, please disregard my post:)

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Attachments

• shape.jpg
    shape.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Side pocket doesn't make sense!..

Bottom corner pocket. Just a SAM 4 or 45 degree cut!

randyg

Randy,
I see all kinds of things that could go wrong playing for the bottom corner pocket. In my mind its absolutely into the side pocket. Unless you have the skillset of Allison or Efren or Randy G.

r/DCP

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if the CB ends up between the 2 and the top side pocket?

pj
chgo

View attachment 88888

Yes, that can happen. Going for either side pocket is too risky, based on the angle of the one ball shot. There's too much angle to pull the cb straight down along the rail for position in the opposite side and there's almost not enough angle to comfortably spin it back for position in the same side pocket (A typical error in that shot is to overcut the 1 ball due to the spin needed for position in the side).

The choice I would make is a light punch with a little low left to set up for the shot in the bottom corner. It's actually the easiest position of the choices.

This is not a beginner's runout table.

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what I would try to do. Cue ball position after hitting object ball is shown in that balls color (yellow lines are cue ball path after hitting 1-ball, etc.)

Attachments

• Leaves.png
    Leaves.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 352

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

View attachment 88888

Well, I guess if you shoot the 1 with the intention of playing position for the 2 in the bottom corner pocket and you end up with the CB where it is in your diagram then it might be time to either take some lessons or find a new hobby.
Contrary to the way Fran would play it, IMO the correct way to play position in this instance is across table, coming off the 2nd rail above the 8. Speed control is easier and as you're crossing a wider area of the position zone your MOError increases.
Coming off 1 rail decreases your MOE.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think shape on the 3 is most reliable shooting the 2 in the bottom side, and looks to me like there’s a speed-forgiving CB roll angle for shape - more along than across the zone.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Well, I guess if you shoot the 1 with the intention of playing position for the 2 in the bottom corner pocket and you end up with the CB where it is in your diagram then it might be time to either take some lessons or find a new hobby.
lol. Well, you said “any angle”.

Contrary to the way Fran would play it, IMO the correct way to play position in this instance is across table, coming off the 2nd rail above the 8. Speed control is easier and as you're crossing a wider area of the position zone your MOError increases.
Coming off 1 rail decreases your MOE.
I agree about the margin of error, but that 8 ball seems like an unnecessary risk, even if a small one.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The choice I would make is a light punch with a little low left to set up for the shot in the bottom corner. It's actually the easiest position of the choices.
Not my first choice, but a close second. I might hit it with draw only for a little more comfortable speed.

pj
chgo

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think shape on the 3 is most reliable shooting the 2 in the bottom side, and looks to me like there’s a speed-forgiving CB roll angle for shape - more along than across the zone.

pj
chgo

You also have to consider the shot from the 1 to the 2.

Playing for shape on the 2 in the side carries more risk, and the 2 to the 3 is only easy if you fall almost perfect.

Come up too short on the 2 in the side, and you might risk scratching in the corner. Go too far, and you'll need to move the CB up and down the length of the table.

As Fran mentioned, opinions might differ if we were standing at the table. However, as diagrammed, I'm playing for shape on the 2 in the corner all day.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

View attachment 88888

Exactly. Avoid that bad position by getting the cb all the way over to that long rail and back out a little for the 2 in the side, which leaves the correct line to the 3 without taking a chance on running into anything.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. Avoid that bad position by getting the cb all the way over to that long rail and back out a little for the 2 in the side, which leaves the correct line to the 3 without taking a chance on running into anything.

This may sound funny, but if the 1 was closer to the rail, I'd agree, but I know from tons of experience in shooting this shot that it's a classic shot for an overcut error in trying to get down for the 2 in the side. You have to also consider the ball pocketing percentage with whatever spin you need for position.
That's why I'd really like to see the shot on an actual table to judge the angle and distance from the rail better.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
This may sound funny, but if the 1 was closer to the rail, I'd agree, but I know from tons of experience in shooting this shot that it's a classic shot for an overcut error in trying to get down for the 2 in the side. You have to also consider the ball pocketing percentage with whatever spin you need for position.
That's why I'd really like to see the shot on an actual table to judge the angle and distance from the rail better.

To each their own. I always choose the easier position when the shot isn't challenging. Here it looks pretty simple, even if I'm off a little on speed I'll get the right angle on the 2 in the side. For the corner I'd want nearly straight in on the 2, which means my speed would have to be much more accurate.

I think the smartest thing to do for those in doubt about this shot is to shoot it a couple of dozen times each way and see what works more consistently for you to get a good shot on 3. Then that should be your goto shot anytime a similar situation comes up.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a Kid Delicous clock system shot. The 11 o’clock shot goes straight across. 10 o’clock to the next diamond. 9 o’clock for the side scratch. 8 for the diamond past the side, etc. Just search for the videos on YouTube. I like the 8 o’clock shot as the position length has lots of tolerance. The position is also more forgiving. After playing the Kid’s clock for a while you love these balls just off the rail. The reference system is half ball with the cue ball’s natural roll entering the rail with check side. Buddy Hall’s system has a running side natural roll off contact. Neither are better. They are just reference systems, tools in the toolbox.