Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page What "Mods" have you made to your favorite playing cue and why?
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
chefjeff
No sides, only players
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-06-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
As a marker, or to keep the finger off the grip?
As a marker. Sometimes under stress or after a long time, I tend to shorten up my grip too much to where my stroke gets too shortened, so as I set up, I feel the tape against my little finger so I know my grip is in the proper position.

This thread reminded me that I haven't put the tape on my new cue (BD Cues) yet. That must be why I missed that one shot a week or so ago.

Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#32)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-06-2016, 07:12 AM

That's a clever idea, Jeff. My tendency is to grip too far back, especially on power shots - never thought of that.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 05-06-2016 at 07:21 AM.

Old
  (#33)
Inaction
AzB Silver Member
Inaction has a reputation beyond reputeInaction has a reputation beyond reputeInaction has a reputation beyond reputeInaction has a reputation beyond reputeInaction has a reputation beyond reputeInaction has a reputation beyond reputeInaction has a reputation beyond reputeInaction has a reputation beyond reputeInaction has a reputation beyond reputeInaction has a reputation beyond reputeInaction has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2016, 07:19 AM

My first cue was a Miller High Life cue with a screw in tip. At the time, it was my favorite.

I sanded the paint off, which exposed a nice looking dark brown wood. I also created a tip from the center of a golf ball which was very quiet, and I got good english on the ball. It did not survive the first draw attempt.

Old
  (#34)
Ratta
Hearing the balls.....
Ratta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000
 Send a message via ICQ to Ratta Send a message via MSN to Ratta  
05-06-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
So we all have a favorite playing cue. What modifications have you made to your cue and why?

For me, it's my 60" JossWest. Loved the feel of the handle but I did not like the standard 30" shafts because of the squirt. I also did not care for the feel of the leather wrap.

I had the wrap changed to stack leather and loved it. I played with a Predator 30" 314 for awhile, liked the way it played but did not like the balance (too light in front) . Royce sent me a 30" OB classic (12.75mm) to try and liked the feel a lot. Used this for about a year.

Finally tried a Tiger Pro X in beta format and decided this was my shaft. I went back to 29" for better stiffness. It took a few months to get used to the smaller tip (11.75mm) and lower squirt, but love the shaft. I've been with this for about 5 years now and my game has improved with it. No plans on changing at all.

What's your story?

Hi Tate,

good to "see you here" :-)
I still have the present from you buddy- still thanksful for it :-)
the 30 inches Tiger X Pro is really a quality shaft- but i got now back completley to regular shaft (non-laminated)-
I really played with everything (or almost ) available outthere, because i was curious about the playability of all those LD-Shafts.

But i just like the feel of my regular shafts- also playing now with 60 inches length for about 2 years- and happy with hit- it s just more comfortable for me bc i have more problems to reach some positions bc being still bit afraid to put my weight on my back leg (right leg) where my knee is *done*. Thsi was the main reason to test 60 inches out- and it s a great thing :-)

I am definitley a "ld hater" - sure not. I just don t care about it- if i like the feel of a cue, i have to adjust and calibrate for the cue...no matter about diameter, size, stiffness.....i just have to "work with it"and STAY with it :-)

may everyone have a smooth stroke.

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."......Albert Einstein
________

"Advanced PBIA Instructor and proud member of the SPF Family"

Old
  (#35)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjeff View Post
As a marker. Sometimes under stress or after a long time, I tend to shorten up my grip too much to where my stroke gets too shortened, so as I set up, I feel the tape against my little finger so I know my grip is in the proper position.

This thread reminded me that I haven't put the tape on my new cue (BD Cues) yet. That must be why I missed that one shot a week or so ago.

Jeff Livingston
Quote:
That's a clever idea, Jeff. My tendency is to grip too far back, especially on power shots - never thought of that.
I like my grip to wander, short and long....I probably vary where I grip by 8 inches.
...the more spin I need at a slow speed, the shorter I hold it.
Long dead ball shots made me hold it long, right off the linen.
Holding long worked for the Rifleman.

I remember Charlie Bryant in the stands at the 2002 9-ball Open.
Owens at hill/hill for the b-side finals playing Luat....he's got a long shot on the 7-ball.
Chas whispers "He's gonna have trouble on this shot...he's been playing too much 1-hole
and holds the cue too short for these."
Luat went to the finals against Schmidt.

'course, Jeff's method is great if you have an excess amount of vanity in your pool game....
......'cause every match is taped.

Correction....it was the match for the hot seat between Owens and Luat...A-side finals

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by pt109; 05-06-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Old
  (#36)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

05-06-2016, 09:10 AM

Had a couple ferrule-less shafts made from the maker of the cue after having it for a few years.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#37)
SARDiver
JCC Chief
SARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2016, 09:24 AM

The What: Replaced butt sleeve, butt cap, and wrap with identical factory replacements.

The Why: I slammed, er...rapidly modified the bottom of my cue via impact with the ground due to a missed easy shot and momentarily poor self-control (a condition known medically as "Momenticus assaholus").

Old
  (#38)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-06-2016, 09:29 AM

I'm kind of surprised to see how few modifications there are to our cues. In the motorcycle world, very few ride a stock bike. In the firearms thread, a great many rifles were heavily modified.

I guess we like our cues as served.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#39)
galipeau
AzB Silver Member
galipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2016, 11:44 AM

My favorite modification to my old cue was selling it and getting a new cue altogether.

Old
  (#40)
BrianaBrown13
AzB Silver Member
BrianaBrown13 has a reputation beyond reputeBrianaBrown13 has a reputation beyond reputeBrianaBrown13 has a reputation beyond reputeBrianaBrown13 has a reputation beyond reputeBrianaBrown13 has a reputation beyond reputeBrianaBrown13 has a reputation beyond reputeBrianaBrown13 has a reputation beyond reputeBrianaBrown13 has a reputation beyond reputeBrianaBrown13 has a reputation beyond reputeBrianaBrown13 has a reputation beyond reputeBrianaBrown13 has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2016, 12:09 PM

Removed the rubber bumper from my Cog, it has no weight bolt. Re-threaded the hole 3/4" deep for the Mezz X-Bumper, now I have a screw in extension.

Playing Cue: Exceed 0309CMT, 2" extender 19.25oz
Shafts : Revo 12.4, Zan Grip Hard
Break Cue: Mezz Kai, w/Black Taom
Jump Cue: Hanshew "Get hooked, get a Hanshew"
Case: JB 4x8 Butterfly

Old
  (#41)
chefjeff
No sides, only players
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I like my grip to wander, short and long....I probably vary where I grip by 8 inches.
...the more spin I need at a slow speed, the shorter I hold it.
Long dead ball shots made me hold it long, right off the linen.
Holding long worked for the Rifleman.

I remember Charlie Bryant in the stands at the 2002 9-ball Open.
Owens at hill/hill for the b-side finals playing Luat....he's got a long shot on the 7-ball.
Chas whispers "He's gonna have trouble on this shot...he's been playing too much 1-hole
and holds the cue too short for these."
Luat went to the finals against Schmidt.

'course, Jeff's method is great if you have an excess amount of vanity in your pool game....
......'cause every match is taped.

Correction....it was the match for the hot seat between Owens and Luat...A-side finals
Taped...ha ha....you punning is funning.

I use the scotch tape as a standard position for a normal shot and adjust from there for special shots. Kind of like I think of Canada as "up there someplace, according to the weather people," before I travel.

Nyah,

Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#42)
TheBook
Ret Professional Goof Off
TheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2016, 06:32 PM

I replaced the tip.

I replaced the ferrule

I repalced the shaft with a 3rd party laminate.

I changed the wrap.

I then changed the butt because I wanted a wrapless.

🎱

Old
  (#43)
3andstop
Focus
3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
So we all have a favorite playing cue. What modifications have you made to your cue and why?
I got some sandpaper and lengthened the taper back around 18 inches or so and put on a good triangle tip.

Why? ... Those damned 80 dollar cues all have cheap tips and conical tapers.

"If ya knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it." Danny DiLiberto.

Old
  (#44)
Player
I'm your huckleberry
Player has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2016, 09:55 PM

I sanded the shaft down a little to where I liked it. Also took off the linen wrap and put on a black lizard wrap myself. I was a little nervous about doing it but it came out great.
Then to top it off I cut off the Kamui tip and glued on one of Pooldawgs Milkdud tips.

Old
  (#45)
ConfidenceZone
AzB Silver Member
ConfidenceZone has a reputation beyond reputeConfidenceZone has a reputation beyond reputeConfidenceZone has a reputation beyond reputeConfidenceZone has a reputation beyond reputeConfidenceZone has a reputation beyond reputeConfidenceZone has a reputation beyond reputeConfidenceZone has a reputation beyond reputeConfidenceZone has a reputation beyond reputeConfidenceZone has a reputation beyond reputeConfidenceZone has a reputation beyond reputeConfidenceZone has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2016, 10:34 PM

I'm doing the same thing right now. Guido swears by it being ivory. Can't really afford it so looking and trying out a close substitution to ivory.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: