Schon shafts

mac9ball

Registered
I'm wanting to know how Schons shafts play? Is there much deflection? I have been shooting with a predator shaft for a couple of years now, and I'm wondering if I buy a schon, should I upgrade to a predator shaft, or just stick with the original schon shaft? If someone could give me their two cents, I would appreciate it!

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I play with a regular old schon shaft. They hit real stiff, which I like. Their tips are made out of cement, which I also like.

I purchased a Schon 314 on a whim, and absolutely hated it.

As far as deflection goes, expect a difference between the schon shaft and the 314.

But I mean, the 314 does have deflection, the trick isn't where you "aim"....it's how you get the cue ball to get there.

Play with a cue enough, and the spot where you "aim" never changes, regardless of deflection, imo.

jt's06sti

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i shoot with a schon...i was too up in the air if i wanted to go LD because it really takes the schon feel outta it... nothing hits like a schon IV shaft...if you dont go LD, def go with the IVB, ivory ferruled shaft.. i went with a predator and hated it and recently switched to the ob2 and loved it....every once in awhile ill pull my origanal schon shaft out n play a rack or 2 and theres no comparison to me, the ob2 hands down puts whitey were i want it...

mac9ball

Registered
Thanks for the input! I was thinkin I might loose the schon hit too if I put a predator shaft on it. I have hit with the ob2 and didnt like it as much as my predator shaft.

mr8ball

I played with a Schon STL 20 for years. I first went to the pred. shaft and likes it. Then I went with the OB1 and for me it was much better. Now I play with the Jacoby Hybird and for me and my stroke it works the best. I play on the Valley Bar Boxes most of the time and that is where I really notice the difference in moving the cue ball. It does however take some time to adjust to every shaft. Good luck

Donovan_45

Registered
I bought my Schon from Mike at cheapcues.com and they have the option to substitue the original shaft with ob or predator. You pay the difference of course, but they also give you 10% store credit which can be applied to paying the difference. I ended up substituting for an OB1 for $13 extra and I am very satisified. Mike will do whatever it takes to make you happy!

Corey

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I'm wanting to know how Schons shafts play? Is there much deflection? I have been shooting with a predator shaft for a couple of years now, and I'm wondering if I buy a schon, should I upgrade to a predator shaft, or just stick with the original schon shaft? If someone could give me their two cents, I would appreciate it!

mac,

If you read the AZ forums a lot, one theme is recurrent. Schon Cues and why they play so good. The Schon cue I play with is nearly twenty years old. As is my playing shaft. I've become used to playing with it. When my tip is replaced, it takes a few racks to get used to the new one. Then the thought goes out of my mind and I just play. I believe this whole LD thing is just like graphite vrs. carbon fiber vrs. unobtanium golf shafts. Marketing and just marketing. OK, there is my .02.

Lyn

S

skip

If you change shafts it would be a down grade. If you want a good stiff and solid hit stick to the Schon shaft. The original tips are a little to hard for my stroke. I know use soft kamui, great feel. One mans opinion. :wink:

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a frequently asked, and loaded, question, that's given way to the frequent, and loaded, responses. If you're use to playing with a Predator, you'll find the Schon deflects like crazy. If you're willing to change over & re-learn accordingly - then go for it. I've used LD shafts for years, and I don't agree with all the bad press that they're hooey, just as so many others - including tons of top pros - don't agree. It's what YOU play well with. I shot with a real nice Schon for a long time. Used pre-cat 314 shafts on it. I wouldn't have walked across the room to pick up a Schon shaft to play with - and I bought 2 with my cue. WAY too much deflection for me.
I'll tell you this story...
When I bought my Schon, Predator was still in the US, and was inundated with shaft orders from the Far East. Back order was approx 8 weeks.
I ordered 2 314's thru Hawley's in Texas because they had an order in the pipe. Here's the kicker... They'd even sold ALL of their 314 shafts off of their in stock Predator cue butts, and Hawley told me himself that the biggest percentage of Predator shafts were being purchased by people to use on Schon cues.
Today I don't recommend Predator shafts, but I do still use LD shafts. I'm just not an LD shaft snob. It's what you get accustomed to. That's the only real truth.

Last edited:

mac9ball

Registered
I agree with Schon making a really good shaft but I really think I would have a hard time getting used to the deflection. I am looking for a stiffer hit than my lucasi, and I know I can get a good stiff hit out of a Schon.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
As you know, and has been stated here by experienced players, hit is subjective. I have two Schons. One came with a shaft before they started marking them. Of the other two, one is marked on the joint collar and the other on the shaft.

Never a problem with deflection, and I say for me, a medium to medium hard hit. But in no way soft and springy.

And I just read the other post, I have a 314 and a Z. They both play great on a Schon.

Last edited:

mac9ball

Registered
yea I don't see how they wouldn't play great on a Schon. If I had the cash Id just buy a schon shaft and a predator shaft.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I played with a 314 shaft on my Schon for years and loved it. I still play with a 314 shaft.

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The older Schon Ivory shafts hit and play great. Also the Schon butt and 314 original shaft combo has been very good to me. I have tried a 314/2 and must say I prefer the original.