2011 DCC - "CaliRed" Presents - Episode 5 - "John Schmidt"

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Episode 5 is a short 4 1/2 min video of John Schmidt practicing in the TAR Room. This video goes more to the ambiance of the Derby. I"ll set it up for you.... It's Sat night about 1:10 in the morning and I had just came from the upstairs tournament room, where I had been standing up in the middle of a huge crowd taping some of the SVB/Scooter match. The TAR room is basically right across the hall and I wandered in there to relax for a minute.

There wasn't many people in there, because everyone was across the hall. John Schmidt was in there practicing and I was really enjoying watching him. I set up my camcorder and started taping. Right then a cool song came on (TAR has great tunes in their room). John seemed to be loose and having some fun practicing and I was enjoying the mixture of tunes and him practicing.

His manner at the table was interesting to observe. He bends his legs in his stance, he is very deliberate and his grip and stroke was cool to watch. The little pinkie prominently pointed downward, draws your attention to it. His stroke is very relaxed and smooth.

Anyways, nothing spectacular here, just picture in your mind, across the hall is chaos, with a couple of hundred people crowded around one table and then a few steps away, in a small room with some great tunes playing, is another champion just having a few moments of practice.

That's the Derby, something happening everywhere, at all hours.

http://vimeo.com/calired/johnschmidt

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Episode 5 is a short 4 1/2 min video of John Schmidt practicing in the TAR Room. This video goes more to the ambiance of the Derby. I"ll set it up for you.... It's Sat night about 1:10 in the morning and I had just came from the upstairs tournament room, where I had been standing up in the middle of a huge crowd taping some of the SVB/Scooter match. The TAR room is basically right across the hall and I wandered in there to relax for a minute.

There wasn't many people in there, because everyone was across the hall. John Schmidt was in there practicing and I was really enjoying watching him. I set up my camcorder and started taping. Right then a cool song came on (TAR has great tunes in their room). John seemed to be loose and having some fun practicing and I was enjoying the mixture of tunes and him practicing.

His manner at the table was interesting to observe. He bends his legs in his stance, he is very deliberate and his grip and stroke was cool to watch. The little pinkie prominently pointed downward, draws your attention to it. His stroke is very relaxed and smooth.

Anyways, nothing spectacular here, just picture in your mind, across the hall is chaos, with a couple of hundred people crowded around one table and then a few steps away, in a small room with some great tunes playing, is another champion just having a few moments of practice.

That's the Derby, something happening everywhere, at all hours.

http://vimeo.com/calired/johnschmidt

Very good and interresting stuff cali,thank you for allowing us to watch some great footage!i cant see nobody going up to him and asking him to play straight pool,the man does play all games top notch!

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Very good and interresting stuff cali,thank you for allowing us to watch some great footage!i cant see nobody going up to him and asking him to play straight pool,the man does play all games top notch!

I do have to say, upon first seeing him in person, he was of a smaller build, then I had imagined.:) He certainly does exude a air of confidence about him. I wish I would have cornered him for a interview, I told him what I was doing and he said he might do it, but I never saw my moment of opportunity again.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
What a drag. This is the second vimeo video you've put up that is choppy/frozen/unwatchable for me. And I can't find where you can scroll further into the video like you can in youtube and others. :(
My laptop rarely experiences this issue. Is anyone else having this problem?

Bummer for me!

TorranceChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a drag. This is the second vimeo video you've put up that is choppy/frozen/unwatchable for me. And I can't find where you can scroll further into the video like you can in youtube and others. :(

Bummer for me!

Just pause it to allow it to download (you will see a bar moving ahead of the viewing position) and browse in another tab for a while. Come back to it and hit play to watch it.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Just pause it to allow it to download (you will see a bar moving ahead of the viewing position) and browse in another tab for a while. Come back to it and hit play to watch it.

I did. No go. I let the bar move for a few minutes and then went back to the beginning. Same deal. :( I tried with Cali's jrhendy vimeo and SVB's slow mo vimeo - all the same thing. When I go to "X out" of the site, it takes quite a few seconds before it goes away.

Thanks for the tip though TC. :)

My Dell doesn't like Cali I guess. It's rather disturbing and I think I need help:

33359-clip-art-graphic-of-an-emotional-caucasian-man-lying-on-a-couch-and-gesturing-with-his-hands-while-venting-to-his-shrink-a-middle-aged-woman-seated-in-a-chair-by-djart.jpg

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member

Bummer for me!

Well, a few things... because you're on a laptop, you're probably using wireless, which has limitations to how much bandwidth.. using a wired connection gives you a bigger pipe. Also, remember these are very high bandwidth hogging videos, because of the HD.

But as Chris mentions, you can wait until the grey area is way ahead of the blue area on the progress bar and then it shouldn't stutter. I have a lot of issues with Youtube with buffering, but Vimeo has been great. Good Luck! If you want, shoot me a email and I"ll enable the ability to download the file, then you should have no problem.
buffer.jpg

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Cali, you're awesome for all you do for pool, thanks.

Anyway, at the very start of the video I briefly saw the gray bar a tiny fraction ahead of the blue one. But within a couple seconds the blue overtakes the gray and I never see the gray again.

What's that indicate?

BTW, I have high speed wireless cable (road runner) and as mentioned before, I don't experience streaming issues often at all. I'll see where others are havving issues with some streams when I do not. I have one Gig RAM. This may not apply here, but I use Norton and sometimes that disallows certain downloads. Ex. I am not "permitted" to download MS Silverlight, I'm like WTF'n on that.

Thanks again, and sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.

veregggaet

Registered
Hd

Did you try to turn HD off?

You have blue HD button in the player, if you switch it off than the content is played in standard quality.

Maybe that's your problem? Because you need a good graphic card, and processor to watch HD quality content.

BTW

@CaliRed, thanks for the great stuff from DCC.

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Cali, you're awesome for all you do for pool, thanks.

Anyway, at the very start of the video I briefly saw the gray bar a tiny fraction ahead of the blue one. But within a couple seconds the blue overtakes the gray and I never see the gray again.

What's that indicate?

BTW, I have high speed wireless cable (road runner) and as mentioned before, I don't experience streaming issues often at all. I'll see where others are havving issues with some streams when I do not. I have one Gig RAM. This may not apply here, but I use Norton and sometimes that disallows certain downloads. Ex. I am not "permitted" to download MS Silverlight, I'm like WTF'n on that.

Thanks again, and sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.

At this point, I would go one of two options. 1. Click the HD button the video and it will toggle HD on or off. or 2. I turned on the ability to download the original file, which should be even better then what you see on Vimeo. Keep in mind, the John/Bernie/OPG match is about 50 mins, which translates into a 2.4 gig file or so. Don't know how long I will keep the download button on, so grab it quick:) I also don't know if you have to register on Vimeo to see the link. They do have some restrictions on a Basic account.
download.jpg