Shaft Collar question

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure it's possible but would it be a lot of trouble to get the ringwork fixed so it's matching? It's almost like the shaft collar just needs to be flipped. If someone could pm me what something like this would run I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 240

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would definitely drive me nuts.... And I've had it happen before on a custom sent out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
It can be done but not as simply as one might expect.
Just 'flipping' the ringwork is a bad idea because it puts the thinnest ring at the face.
The only adhesion contact it has is via the end-grain. It will shear off without much effort.
I'm not going to address this different thicknesses of the dash-rings. You're stuck with that.
The thin bottom ring needs to become a sleeve that the dash-ring and the thick black slide onto.
That gives the thin bottom the adhesion contact of the full length of the ring-stack.
Your choice; you want easy-peasy or do you want it done correctly ?

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course I want it done right. Thanks for the response, that's what I wanted to know. The rings are fine, I just want the spacing even on both sides of the joint. Again, if someone has a ballpark of what it would take, please pm. I've been thinking of getting a Lakewood shaft made anyways so I'm trying to compare the cost of fixing this to getting a new shaft made that matches.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I believe your ring-stack could survive reassignment (and re-orientation),
going on a new shaft if attention were given to different tenon diameters.
This could also work on your current shaft with the same approach.
Good Luck.

Now let me offer an alternative. Your shaft and it's ring assignment are just fine.
What's not following the design is the small ring immediately below the jnt.collar.
I'd suggest that you have that corrected and your problem is solved.
It would be cheaper, less invasive and a more practical approach.

Last edited: