Humble Pie at the Mosconi Cup

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Congrats to both teams for giving everything they have..... I could only imagine the pressure compounded with such a tight table. So hard to sustain runs..... just getting a little out of shape makes for a lot of dangerous shots.

As for Filler..... I thought he was a douchebag. Which is a true statement. I'm not complaining about it. It's good entertainment to some. But, I do want to make clear, that him being a douchebag isn't what makes the Mosconi Cup so great..... the cup is great each and every year with or without him and his antics.

I'm sure the kid will mature in time.... he's young.

The most common response for why people who love Howard Stern - they wanna hear what he will say next.

The most common response for people who hate Howard Stern(why they listen) (higher percentage than those who love him) because - they wanna hear what he will say next.

He's the new Earl and he couldnt have come at a better time. Who woulda thought they could hate somebody(that shoots better) more than Shaw a few years ago.

Long live Josh Filler!!!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As one of the announcers said.... "this game has a way of humbling
the best of us". Maybe Filler figured
that out.

As for his behavior, I have to believe it
was partially scripted to invoke controversy.

i dunno, in his debut cup 2017 he wasn't exactly humble. add being in vegas and with a big part of the crowd trashtalking him

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
Did you see Filler crying ?

99.9% yes on that one.... but it was not a heaving shoulder, flow of tears, body shaking type of cry. It was likely just a couple of croc tears finding gravity after a powerful moment... And I just watched a video I made with my phone of Sky's last two shots and the ensuing US team celebration and I must correct myself on the timeline. I saw Markus Chamat wipe down both of Joshua's cheeks with his bare hands after the US team got down off of the pool table, while the Euro team were all huddled near their player's chair waiting for the 2nd place participation medals, not during the height of the celebration as stated before.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's the new Earl and he couldnt have come at a better time. Who woulda thought they could hate somebody(that shoots better) more than Shaw a few years ago.

Long live Josh Filler!!!

He's definitely not the new Earl. Earl behaved (and still does I assume) like that always, at every event he has ever played on, against every opponent he ever played.

I have seen Filler in person at several events (Eurotours, European Championships, Deurne City Classic event in Holland) and he is always very calm and silent and respectful to everyone he plays. Nowhere he shows this Mosconi behavior we saw this week, except at the Mosconi Cup.

I really believe he was instructed or at least encouraged by Matchroom to let himself go like this. Seeing him smile while doing it has me believing he loves it too, though.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's definitely not the new Earl. Earl behaved (and still does I assume) like that always, at every event he has ever played on, against every opponent he ever played.

I have seen Filler in person at several events (Eurotours, European Championships, Deurne City Classic event in Holland) and he is always very calm and silent and respectful to everyone he plays. Nowhere he shows this Mosconi behavior we saw this week, except at the Mosconi Cup.

I really believe he was instructed or at least encouraged by Matchroom to let himself go like this. Seeing him smile while doing it has me believing he loves it too, though.

I agree with this 100 percent. Of course, Matchroom staff is asking the players behind the scenes to spice it up.

I felt—and still do—tremendous sorrow seeing the emotional disappointment of Joshua Filler when the dust settled. He's 22 and number one in the world. Truly he has accomplished a great deal in his pool career. But I think he felt the loss more than the other Team Europe members because it was him that lost to Sky, giving Team America the almighty win.

A few Mosconi Cups ago, everybody was slamming Jayson Shaw for his display of emotion, something that the Matchroom staff encouraged. The vulgarity and rude comments made to his wife by Americans were outrageous. She did not deserve that.

To read some of the posts on FB and elsewhere about Americans wanting to punch Joshua in the face or beat him up makes me sick to my stomach. I am ashamed of Americans acting in this manner. One prominent European pool aficionado said one American came up to him and gave him the finger in the arena. He left the arena, and his Mosconi Cup experience was tarnished, thanks to some ignorant American a-s-s-h-o-l-e.

Shane said this was THE best Mosconi Cup he had ever experienced, thanks to the team unity and camaraderie. For Joshua, I'm sure this will be the worst loss he's experienced.

The Mosconi Cup is supposed to be a fun rivalry. But it would be better if there was no physical violence threats. This does not make pool great again.

I've seen a lot of great photos of the Cup, but I think this one is my favorite. Shane said this was THE best Mosconi Cup fro him, and I must agree. Look at him. :smiling-heart:

Attachments

• 79131016_10218674074015567_5637786935603757056_n.jpg
    79131016_10218674074015567_5637786935603757056_n.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 599

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One side in me says: well that's just people-in-large-crowds and/or people-in-the-safety-of-anonymous-internet that will act all tough and say tough-sounding stuff, we should just laugh about it and let it roll off our backs.

Other side has a creepin' feelin' that this is just a step or two away from having real 'pooligans' like we see in the soccer stadiums in Europe. Maybe Mosconi Cup in a few years can only be watched live over the heads of heavily armed police force to keep the Euro fans separated from the American fans. Using exaggeration here to make a point, of course.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Body slam? Absurd ideas by fools.

Well, have to say I wouldn't mind watching Filler get body slammed a time or two...:rolleyes:
Maybe Filler knows how to take care of himself and might just kick somebody in the nuts and then gouge their eyes with a pencil if they tried that 'tough guy' routine on him?
Whatta' ya going to do....sucker punch him when he isn't looking? Then someone else sucker punches you with a pool stick to the side of your head. Then someone stabs the guy with the pool stick. Then 3 or 4 pistols come out blazing away endangering everyone. That's how it escalates.
Violence has no place at these events. Leave that to the NFL thugs.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Maybe Filler knows how to take care of himself and might just kick somebody in the nuts and then gouge their eyes with a pencil if they tried that 'tough guy' routine on him?
Whatta' ya going to do....sucker punch him when he isn't looking? Then someone else sucker punches you with a pool stick to the side of your head. Then someone stabs the guy with the pool stick. Then 3 or 4 pistols come out blazing away endangering everyone. That's how it escalates.
Violence has no place at these events. Leave that to the NFL thugs.

Your post is moronic.

Besides...Did you guys see Sky's wink to Filler!!! LMFAO

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I agree with this 100 percent. Of course, Matchroom staff is asking the players behind the scenes to spice it up.

I felt—and still do—tremendous sorrow seeing the emotional disappointment of Joshua Filler when the dust settled. He's 22 and number one in the world. Truly he has accomplished a great deal in his pool career. But I think he felt the loss more than the other Team Europe members because it was him that lost to Sky, giving Team America the almighty win.

A few Mosconi Cups ago, everybody was slamming Jayson Shaw for his display of emotion, something that the Matchroom staff encouraged. The vulgarity and rude comments made to his wife by Americans were outrageous. She did not deserve that.

To read some of the posts on FB and elsewhere about Americans wanting to punch Joshua in the face or beat him up makes me sick to my stomach. I am ashamed of Americans acting in this manner. One prominent European pool aficionado said one American came up to him and gave him the finger in the arena. He left the arena, and his Mosconi Cup experience was tarnished, thanks to some ignorant American a-s-s-h-o-l-e.

Shane said this was THE best Mosconi Cup he had ever experienced, thanks to the team unity and camaraderie. For Joshua, I'm sure this will be the worst loss he's experienced.

The Mosconi Cup is supposed to be a fun rivalry. But it would be better if there was no physical violence threats. This does not make pool great again.

I've seen a lot of great photos of the Cup, but I think this one is my favorite. Shane said this was THE best Mosconi Cup fro him, and I must agree. Look at him. :smiling-heart:

I remember another time I've seen a player break down. It was Ralf Souquet. He took 2nd to Ronnie Alcano in the World 9ball in the Philippines that year (I forget the year). They were speaking afterwards in the post match interviews table side and he couldnt hold back.

I felt bad for him. Ralf is a great dude and a consummate professional. He is a Champion. He is a king and would never call himself that.

Josh not only antagonized the other players, but he antagonized the fans. I didn't really care for him much due to his antics prior to this, but this was over the top for me. The money in pool is already paltry and the fans are the ones actually giving theirs to it. If it wasn't for that crowd, Filler would have never had the opportunity. And what did he do when given the opportunity? Showed his ass.

Still doesn't make it right to threaten him or his family, but he deserves all other trash talk in my opinion. Dude can dish it out, but then starts crying when he has to take it.

Hope Turkey Day was good for you and Keith. Will you guys be at the MD 10ball this weekend?

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
One side in me says: well that's just people-in-large-crowds and/or people-in-the-safety-of-anonymous-internet that will act all tough and say tough-sounding stuff, we should just laugh about it and let it roll off our backs.

Other side has a creepin' feelin' that this is just a step or two away from having real 'pooligans' like we see in the soccer stadiums in Europe. Maybe Mosconi Cup in a few years can only be watched live over the heads of heavily armed police force to keep the Euro fans separated from the American fans. Using exaggeration here to make a point, of course.

I saw no overt hostility of any kind while I was there. There were Euro fans sitting in the USA side of the arena and vice versa. During breaks between matches everyone mingled around outside with no problems that I observed.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

While I'm with you on most of this, dont over think the situation. The Facebook people have a long reputation for their trash talking. That's most of the reason I quit using Facebook. And the some of the crowd was still wound up, boozed up, and acting childishly.

And Filler must have known his trash talking would bring out some of this behavior. Its not like all of this doesn't happen in England. But when the smoke is settled from the match, the English would take you to a pub for a brew. I'm sure it's the same over here. I myself would like to by the Europeans a round. They played some good pool.

I did enjoy watching Filler play. Obviously grew up with some superior training. But for all of his calm, and coolness, he was succumbing to the pressure. You could see it the last match. But he will grow. I wouldn't want to be the one playing him next year.

I still think he was encouraged by the producers, or more then likely, the PR manager to spice it up. I wonder if Josh and Shane had some beers together after the show was over. I would love to hear that conversation.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
While I'm with you on most of this, dont over think the situation. The Facebook people have a long reputation for their trash talking. That's most of the reason I quit using Facebook. And the some of the crowd was still wound up, boozed up, and acting childishly.

And Filler must have known his trash talking would bring out some of this behavior. Its not like all of this doesn't happen in England. But when the smoke is settled from the match, the English would take you to a pub for a brew. I'm sure it's the same over here. I myself would like to by the Europeans a round. They played some good pool.

I did enjoy watching Filler play. Obviously grew up with some superior training. But for all of his calm, and coolness, he was succumbing to the pressure. You could see it the last match. But he will grow. I wouldn't want to be the one playing him next year.

I still think he was encouraged by the producers, or more then likely, the PR manager to spice it up. I wonder if Josh and Shane had some beers together after the show was over. I would love to hear that conversation.

Revenge is best served cold. Shane will have his own day of reckoning with Filler one of these days. I don't think they'll be drinking buddies any time soon. Yes, this is a real pool rivalry and that's okay. Underneath it all, every pool player wants to rule the roost!

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In between matches they put interviews with fans on the big screen. they asked folks what they were thankful for.

Pia Filler, getting in on the action, said she was thankful for Shane

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw no overt hostility of any kind while I was there. There were Euro fans sitting in the USA side of the arena and vice versa. During breaks between matches everyone mingled around outside with no problems that I observed.

Jay,

This is good to read. I'm retiring next year and would love to attend this event in Vegas the following year.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
a great write up and perspective.

I mentioned in another thread that Filler looked like he was relishing the role of the Black Hat Guy. Interesting to read that Matchroom was all set with the crown graphic when Filler made his "I'm the King now" proclamation. This tells me they were likely putting him up to it to create some tension/drama.

It's all about the ratings. ;)

Totally agree with this...Barry Hearn always had a "bad boy" personality in the mix with snooker, it adds drama and increases viewership. He did it with Earl every chance he got, with documentaries about it airing on earlier MC events...Apart from still being a kid and not really appreciating how he comes across, I have NO DOUBT the producers came to him and put him up to some of this. His crushed reaction at the crowd booing him at the end seemed pretty genuine. Looked like Marcus had to go comfort him off camera before he was able to rejoin his team mates for the presentations, but I wasn't there to see...I just noticed him and his coach missing in action for about 10 minutes before the presentations could commence.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Looked like Marcus had to go comfort him off camera before he was able to rejoin his team mates for the presentations, but I wasn't there to see...I just noticed him and his coach missing in action for about 10 minutes before the presentations could commence.

Yes, Marcus and Joshua were absent briefly, but they were back within 3 minutes of Sky pocketing the winning ball. The entire Team Europe left the ceremony about 5 minutes later and then returned several minutes after that.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Low 500? Sorry you took my joke seriously...but really, that's all it was.

Frankly, Filler asked for some scorn and he accomplished his mission. Skyler? Wow! Great match, kid! A well deserved 2nd MVP!