gambling and robbing an intoxicated person-moral values-rationalizations

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The incident I saw yesterday shook me up and I left the place while the drama was still going on. I was saddend to see an intoxicated man taken advantage of. I am not mentioning the name of this player and many regulars to the cue club in Las Vegas know the name of this individual. He is a rich man and a very strong player both in one pocket and 9 ball and usually others negotiate with him for spot.He says that money is nothing for him and it is only 00000s to him.After 2 weeks he returned to the pool room and his presence was immediately made known by his loud utterences on top of his voice.he started with his usual shouts of profanity including telling the people to s.. his....d etc.He had 4 men and one women accompany and I later found out that he met them in a local bar and brought them with him. I do not think that he knows that they are gangsters.In the begining it was amusing to listen to his utterances on top of his voice with now and then roaring like a Lion, howling like a keyote etc.The show began and the people started gathering around the table 7 & 8.There were nearly 25 sweaters around.Everybody knows it is a pay day to everybody and some will go home with thousands of $.There was a pool league tournament was also going on there that time. There was lot of woofing and lots of hundred dollar bills thrown on the table and lots of debates,arguments between the challengers and this rich man.The people that came in with this rich man were west side gangsters ' Bloods ' and except I and my friend no one in the room knows that those guys are ' Bloods'. One guy entered into flipping the coin contest with the rich man and this guy quickly won three flips in a row for huge amount and then left the place to return later.After 2-3 hours woofing,profanity finally one guy matched uo to play one pocket game race to three.The rich man gave the guy a spot 10-7.The rich man was staggering and few times fell on the next table.several time when it was his turn to shoot he left the cue on the table stands there leaning on the table and sleeps for 30 seconds to a minute and then wakes up and shoots .He then asks the rail for side bets of 1000 $.The story goes on.I could not take it and left the place.

IN MY OPINION ,taking the money from totally intoxicated person is like having sex with a 5 year old child or with a dead person.It is wrong.
I also BELIEVE that gambling with a minor can and will be construed as 'contributing to the delinquency of a minor'.It is wrong.:angry:

Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he doesn't care about his wallet, I can't blame the others for feeling the same way. He set himself up IMO.

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
If he doesn't care about his wallet, I can't blame the others for feeling the same way. He set himself up IMO.

Not to mention he sounds like an a**hole.

Equating it with sex with a 5-year old is beyond ridiculous.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Intoxicated person is like a 5 year old child that lacks the ability to give informed consent and ofcourse a dead person can`t give any consent at all.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
sounds like the drunk was trying to get rid of his money

Not my cup of tea but I have to admit that had the drunken rich man came up to me and challenged me in my younger years I would have cheerfully lightened his pockets. I drank a lot too, can't remember it discouraging anyone from gambling with me. I lured in a lot of suckers when I really was drunk on my ass.

Hu

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I have to admit that I would and did hustle drunks when I was younger. I don't think I could do it today. I really don't feel bad that I use to do it though...in most cases I was probably drunker than the drunk I was hustling. Johnnyt

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to mention he sounds like an a**hole.

Equating it with sex with a 5-year old is beyond ridiculous.

Actually people who know him well think that he is a very nice guy.He comes to the pool room 3-5 times a month, puts a show and gives away lot of money.when he runs out of the money some times he goes home and brings some more cash and gives it away.He is a very strong pool player.
Analogy with a 5 year old child is drawn mainly to point out about the legal doctrine of ' informed consent '.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did somebody drag him in the pool room with a rope? Sounds to me like, considering the crowd he's running with, losing a few k doing something he enjoys & can afford is infinitely better than what could happen - and he keeps coming back for more! Do the guy a favor & slip the card of a good psychologist in his pocket. But don't let his wolf pack see you do it - you're foolin' with their meal ticket and THEY are the ones that'll eat you alive.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Drunks are taken advantage of all the time. Not only in gambling, but I can not tell you how many times I have not seen a person who was intoxicated continued to be served in a bar where I was play pool. Many Bar Owners I am afraid tell there Bar Tender to keep serving regulars, or find work elsewere!

Sadly many of these persons go out of the bar, get in their car, and kill innocent people. It is all about money, where the gambler is taking advantage of the drunk, or the Bar Tender is putting someone on the street who in their car killing machine becasue the owner said don't cut anyone off or your fired.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that right?

Drunks are taken advantage of all the time. Not only in gambling, but I can not tell you how many times I have not seen a person who was intoxicated continued to be served in a bar where I was play pool. Many Bar Owners I am afraid tell there Bar Tender to keep serving regulars, or find work elsewere!

Sadly many of these persons go out of the bar, get in their car, and kill innocent people. It is all about money, where the gambler is taking advantage of the drunk, or the Bar Tender is putting someone on the street who in their car killing machine becasue the owner said don't cut anyone off or your fired.

I'm not a drinker, and I don't go to bars, but I thought I heard a long time ago that there was something that made bartenders liable if they continued to serve someone who already had too many, and that drunk person left and either caused an accident or hurt himself? Maybe only in certain states? Anyway, I myself would have trouble stealing off a drunk, or any other handicapped person, but the world is what it is......for every 5 people who wouldn't, there will always be one who would bleed him dry.....

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Vagabond,
I "volunteered" :rolleyes: for honey-do activities yesterday and didn't make it to the Cue Club. I'm glad I was spared the ridiculousness rants and side-show this guy has become known for. Today will probably be a better day at the Cue Club since the big guy is either in jail or passed out for a couple of days. Hopefully his new "gangsta" crew didn't turn on him later in the evening.

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
I guess being a Shirt for so long made me a little more callous. I believe a person is always responsible for their own actions (unless mentally ill). He made a conscience decision to become intoxicated and gamble his money away. It's his loss. If hes was intoxicated and raped someone he would be prosectued. If he had gotten in his car, drove and killed someone, the courts would prosecute him just the same as if he was sober (probably be harder on him). If you can make a conscience decision not to drive, you can make one not to gamble.

Just my thoughts...

Jim

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I'm not a drinker, and I don't go to bars, but I thought I heard a long time ago that there was something that made bartenders liable if they continued to serve someone who already had too many, and that drunk person left and either caused an accident or hurt himself? Maybe only in certain states? Anyway, I myself would have trouble stealing off a drunk, or any other handicapped person, but the world is what it is......for every 5 people who wouldn't, there will always be one who would bleed him dry.....

You are correct, and it is the Bar Tender, and also the Liquor License HOLDER have liability. But you are dealing in with a very big problem in Arizona as there a BARS almost on ever corner in some cities. I know of one intersection in Glendale AZ, where within a 30 minute walk you could be in one of 4-6 BARS depending on how fast you walk.

Sadly there are only some many Liquor Board Agents, and only so many COPS on Duty at a given time, so only a fraction of those DRUNK DRIVER get caught.

Arizona does have a NEW DUI LAW that require an Ignition Interlock Device.

Think this NEW LAW ad Interlock requirement has had some impact on Arizona's Problem, but people are still being killed by Drunk Drivers leaving Bar many of whom IMHO should have been cut off!

But the other side of the Coin is the Bars are trying to survive in a recession, and know there chance of getting caught over serving are slim.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's a sad state of affairs

You are correct, and it is the Bar Tender, and also the Liquor License HOLDER have liability. But you are dealing in with a very big problem in Arizona as there a BARS almost on ever corner in some cities. I know of one intersection in Glendale AZ, where within a 30 minute walk you could be in one of 4-6 BARS depending on how fast you walk.

Sadly there are only some many Liquor Board Agents, and only so many COPS on Duty at a given time, so only a fraction of those DRUNK DRIVER get caught.

Arizona does have a NEW DUI LAW that require an Ignition Interlock Device.

Think this NEW LAW ad Interlock requirement has had some impact on Arizona's Problem, but people are still being killed by Drunk Drivers leaving Bar many of whom IMHO should have been cut off!

But the other side of the Coin is the Bars are trying to survive in a recession, and know there chance of getting caught over serving are slim.

I do want to apologize for straying away from the original subject of this thread, but I don't know how many people have to be killed by drunk drivers before things change. I guess it's the old thing about everyone who drinks and drives thinks they will be ok, and it would never happen to them. Even with the latest high-profile tragedy involving that major league pitcher and 2 of his friends, this kind of thing never seems to end.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will try to make this brief as possible.

I enjoy a beverage or 2 now and then...but rarely get to the point where I would be a target for anyone...as a matter of fact I encourage someone to try and pull the wool over my eyes when I have had a few. I am actually more focused...to an extent that is.

Now I only cliff not read your whole story, but he should be aware of the circumstances when being intoxicated. If he/she isn't then that's how one learns lessons. Now for the other party involved...yeah they are going to hell but we all gotta go somewhere when we die!

IMO

TJ

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I have a very good idea of you are talking about. I have absolutely no sympathy for the guy. In many rooms I know of he would be carried out for spouting the BS he routinely shouts at the top of his lungs. The only reason people have anything to do with him is because he is the biggest mark available at the moment.

He has pulled the same act every time I have seen him in my short stay in this city so I am guessing he doesn't mind what happens.

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
vagabond said:
IN MY OPINION ,taking the money from totally intoxicated person is like having sex with a 5 year old child or with a dead person.It is wrong.
I also BELIEVE that gambling with a minor can and will be construed as 'contributing to the delinquency of a minor'.It is wrong.:angry:

vagabond I usually agree with your post as I see you a man of clear and rational thought, but to compare this to that which I quoted is absurd. Only a fool gets this intoxicated and starts doing such things and as they say a fool and his money...

This man is only a victim of his own actions.