TAP League Ruling????

freedog69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can somone please tell me what the official ruling on the following scenario would be under TAP League rules for 8 ball.

Here is the situation:
I am on the 8 ball and it is my opponent's shot. He has 1 ball on the table that he is shooting. In order to shoot his ball he has to shoot so that his back part of the cue is over the 8 ball. Upon executing his shot his back hand hits the 8 and moves it forward almost 3 feet. My opponent makes the shot but the cue ball also goes around the table and passes directly through where the 8 ball would of been sitting had he not moved it. The cue ball never actually touched the 8 ball. Does this constitute a foul with me having ball in hand? Does my opponent get to stay at the table with my decision if the 8 stays where he moved it or I can move it back to where I thought it was supposed to be prior to the hit? We looked in the rulebook but nothing stated if the ball moved was the 8. The fact that the cue ball would of hit the 8 if it was not moved therefore impacting the final travel path of the cue ball and the 8 ball. Nobody could agree on the findings of this situation. Even people who have been referee's at national Tap events nor the League Operator. So I wanted to ask on AZB and see if a senior official in Tap could answer this question.

Thanks
Chris

Shakeysmooth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball in hand foul (because the path of the cue ball should have touched the ball he moved) and you can play the 8 as it lays or put it back where it was. Kind of like he moved 2 balls, which is always a foul.

You win!

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
I disagree, it's cue ball fouls only. So with that the ball should be replaced where ever the non shooter feels it was, or if he prefers leave it in the new position. And of course all of this would be after the CB came to a Stop. Had he altered the path of a moving 8 Ball that would be a foul and loss of game.

Black Cat

freedog69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shakeysmooth thanks for the reply are you an official in Tap? On what grounds are you basing your response on? I don't see anywhere in the rules where it defines this situation. I am not questioning you I am just looking for a solid answer to bring to my league director. Fyi we did call it a foul with ball in hand. Here is the ruling from the Tap rulebook.
Accidental Movement of a Ball

If a player moves the cue
ball, in any way, prior to their shot it is a foul and results in ball-in-hand
to the player’s opponent; this does not apply in ball
-in-hand situations
when a player is placing the cue ball. However, should a player
accidentally move, or pocket, any other ball(s) in preparing to shoot or
in the execution of a shot, it is not a foul (NOTE: Should a player
accidentally pocket the 8 ball, it is loss on game.) The opposing player
has the right to replace the ball(s) or leave them where they are. Should
the shooter, by reflex action, attempt to replace the moved ball(s), this
is not a foul, but the opposing player has the option of placing the
ball(s) back to where they were originally resting or leaving them
where they were moved to by the shooter. If a player touches any
moving ball, moved as a result of the shot, or the moved ball is struck
by another moving ball during the shot, it is a ball-in-hand foul for the
opponent. If any moving ball strikes the shooters cue, bridge stick or
their person it is a ball-in-hand foul to the opponent. NOTE: (If, after
missing a shot, a player swings their cue in disgust and hits any balls, it
is automatic loss of game.)

freedog69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Blackcat for the reply. Does it matter that the cuebal passed right through where the 8 ball was had it not been moved. Therefore it disrupted the final path of both the cue ball and the 8 ball?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I believe what Shakey described would be a pretty standard rule in many League Rules.

I have had to make at least one ruling this way. You cannot impede the movement of the Q Ball, nor can you move a ball, in this case the 8 Ball, to a position where the Q Ball
would have originally come in contact with it.

Thus changing the lay of one or more of the balls during that shot.

If this sounds like Bull Shite, forgive me as my Old Age Memory does set in on occasion.

I don't do as much local reffing as I used to and forget a few of the real finer points such as this one, as it is not one that you come across frequently.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe what Shakey described would be a pretty standard rule in many League Rules.

I disagree. I was not able to find that rule in WPA, APA or TPA.

• WPA it is a foul if you touch a ball so it wouldn't apply.
  • TPA states that it is only a foul if any moving ball comes in contact with the accidentally moved ball.
  • APA states that it is only a foul if the cue ball comes in contact with the accidentally moved ball.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Blackcat for the reply. Does it matter that the cuebal passed right through where the 8 ball was had it not been moved. Therefore it disrupted the final path of both the cue ball and the 8 ball?

You posted the rule above. Does it say if a ball crosses the path of where the ball should be? It does not, so therefore it would not be a BIH foul.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:thumbup:

If both captains can not agree, then you need to shoot the rack over.

I am not a TAP referee. This is my ruling and I am standing by it.

:D

SPDR9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have the option to move the 8 ball back to where you thought it was or leave it where it stops. It is not a ball in hand foul.

Played in TAP for 18+ years have ref'd and ran leagues in many locations. Have had similar issues come up many times.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
You posted the rule above. Does it say if a ball crosses the path of where the ball should be? It does not, so therefore it would not be a BIH foul.
Probably doesn't say that because it is arguable whether the Qball would've hit the moved ball.