Is it poor sportsmanship?

JC

Coos Cues
To pretend to be deaf and dumb when showing up for a pool tournament?

It's at the very least freakish behavior.

JC

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JC

No, not cool AT ALL! Definitely BAD karma for sure. But was is the move anyway? Can't see one myself.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
JC, did you do this? There is no way I could make it through the entire night putting on my act. It's not bad sportsmanship because your opponent should play you how he normally would play anyone else. Sometimes it throws my game when I play a girl or someone in a wheelchair and I pay the price for it, but that's my fault. You have to be ready for anything.

JC

Coos Cues
JC, did you do this? There is no way I could make it through the entire night putting on my act. It's not bad sportsmanship because your opponent should play you how he normally would play anyone else. Sometimes it throws my game when I play a girl or someone in a wheelchair and I pay the price for it, but that's my fault. You have to be ready for anything.

No I didn't do this. My opponent did several weeks ago and it wasn't until yesterday someone who knew him told me he isn't deaf. He pretended the entire tournament which was a weekend event. Just when you think pool has nothing more to offer in the odd department.

JC

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough call

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 838

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
It was certainly in bad taste, no doubt about that.
It's one thing to pretend to be dumb, hell, most pool players are pretty damn good at that anyway, but to pretend one is deaf is an affront to all hearing impaired people everywhere.
Each of my three wives used to fake deafness, and it drove me crazy. I'd say something and they'd look at me like I wasn't there. It went on for so long that I began thinking that I really was invisible so one day I walked up to this really good looking girl at the pool hall, I beg your pardon, sports bar and grill, and stuck my hand clean up her dress.
The next thing I remember was coming to, in the local ER. Her boyfriend must have seen right through me. :smile:

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
No I didn't do this. My opponent did several weeks ago and it wasn't until yesterday someone who knew him told me he isn't deaf. He pretended the entire tournament which was a weekend event. Just when you think pool has nothing more to offer in the odd department.

JC

This is clearly a person with no life and way too much free time, or maybe he was hoping to get a girl (or guy?).
I remember in college I told a girl I was a cop when she told me men in uniform really turned her on. We were both pretty drunk and I showed her my bolo tie with a US Marshall star, it worked out pretty well for me. We've all pretended to be someone else on occasion, but pretending to be hearing and speech impaired, bad mojo there, hope he lost.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JC

I don't have to pretend. I'm completely deaf in one ear and very, very hard of hearing in the other. It's no fun when they're explaining the rules and you can't hear. Pretending to be deaf is really hard to pull off BTW. Poor Sportsmanship? Karma would be a ***** now wouldn't it.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
but to pretend one is deaf is an affront to all hearing impaired people everywhere.

I was in Wash, DC last week at a Hearing Loss convention. My wife is a speech/hearing pathologist. What I got out of being there is how fortunate I am to hear. The people there came from around the country and some other countries. They are searching for new and better ways to communicate.
Poor sportsmanship? Don't insult poor sportsman. Just plain old ignorance and expressing them self as an asshole....or are they insulting the asshole also?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know is that the last tournament I played in I must have been blind in one eye and couldn't see out of the other.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know is that the last tournament I played in I must have been blind in one eye and couldn't see out of the other.

I usually suffer from anal glaucoma..... I cant see my ass winning the tournament..... :thumbup:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I was in Wash, DC last week at a Hearing Loss convention. My wife is a speech/hearing pathologist. What I got out of being there is how fortunate I am to hear. The people there came from around the country and some other countries. They are searching for new and better ways to communicate.
Poor sportsmanship? Don't insult poor sportsman. Just plain old ignorance and expressing them self as an asshole....or are they insulting the asshole also?

Assholes come in all shapes and sizes. I was chastised last week regarding a story about me having sex with a girl in a wheelchair whilst she hung from a tree limb.
In all honesty I don't know who I offended most. People in wheel chairs, or all the Dendrophiles out there.
Regardless, the guy the OP was referring to was certainly pushing the limits.
I'm only wondering here. If I said that I once knew a guy who didn't have any arms or legs who spent most of his time hanging on a wall, would that be offensive?
His name is Art, by-the-way. :D

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Not only is it not bad sportmanship, it's a brilliant new way of life. I regret never having thought of it myself. The only downside I can see is that there is no way to stop people from talking you into to the ground, other than leaving or faking a heart attack. Too bad. It was almost perfect.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assholes come in all shapes and sizes. I was chastised last week regarding a story about me having sex with a girl in a wheelchair whilst she hung from a tree limb.
In all honesty I don't know who I offended most. People in wheel chairs, or all the Dendrophiles out there.
I'm only wondering here. If I said that I once knew a guy who didn't have any arms or legs who spent most of his time hanging on a wall, would that be offensive?

Tried to give you a greenie for that one but couldn't. It was one of your best Tramp.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was certainly in bad taste, no doubt about that.
It's one thing to pretend to be dumb, hell, most pool players are pretty damn good at that anyway, but to pretend one is deaf is an affront to all hearing impaired people everywhere.
Each of my three wives used to fake deafness, and it drove me crazy. I'd say something and they'd look at me like I wasn't there. It went on for so long that I began thinking that I really was invisible so one day I walked up to this really good looking girl at the pool hall, I beg your pardon, sports bar and grill, and stuck my hand clean up her dress.
The next thing I remember was coming to, in the local ER. Her boyfriend must have seen right through me. :smile:
Was that on dress up day?

No! My father was named Art and even he thought it was funny.