Bustamonte's stroke

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard one of the commentators praise his stroke

I was just watching, I thought it looked different
it occured to me that I wasn't sure what a good stroke looks like

I confess i don't know much about the stroke I watched Mike Massey and the results were so impressive I thought he had a good stroke,but truth be told I couldn't identify a single thing that I was looking at that produced the great results

Made me identify with Mickey Mantle who said"Its funny,you can play a game all your life and still not know anything about it" referring to baseball

i feel that way about pool

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Its funny,you can play a game all your life and still not know anything about it" referring to baseball

This is what makes the game great and worth our time.

If it could be totally mastered it would have never survived.

This forum would have never existed.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I confess i don't know much about the stroke I watched Mike Massey and the results were so impressive I thought he had a good stroke,but truth be told I couldn't identify a single thing that I was looking at that produced the great results

Made me identify with Mickey Mantle who said"Its funny,you can play a game all your life and still not know anything about it" referring to baseball

Speaking of Mike Massey.........a bunch of us were talking about strokes once....
...Mike said that most look the same if you just watch the cue the last bit coming into the ball...
...and that’s what Bustie’s cue looks like...the last part looks great....and very smooth.
....most players have different ways of delivering it.
Buddy, The Miz, and Alex would be three that are worth watching all the way back and forth.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spent a life time anaysing baseball swings
watching slow motion videos of Babe Ruth,shoeless Joe Jackson,ted williams
and guys like that,but I have never seen an alaysis of a pool stroke

I am not sure whatto look at,the wrist,the back hand,the shoulder. i really don't know.

I have watched Efren seeming to cue the ball low and delivering follow. i don't know .

I think it would be interesting if Dr Dave or one of the experts were to show videos with analysis.

To tell the truth,I don't even know how I aim,i have never been able to understand what little I heard

I think it would be helpfull if someone took me by the hand and slowly explained it

I regret not visiting Ray Martin when i had the chance, i think he would be able to help me,
but now it is too late.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I am not sure whatto look at,the wrist,the back hand,the shoulder. i really don't know.

I have watched Efren seeming to cue the ball low and delivering follow. i don't know .

I think it would be interesting if Dr Dave or one of the experts were to show videos with analysis.

To tell the truth,I don't even know how I aim,i have never been able to understand what little I heard

I think it would be helpfull if someone took me by the hand and slowly explained it

I regret not visiting Ray Martin when i had the chance, i think he would be able to help me,
but now it is too late.
Everyone hits differently….
1st time I saw Allen Hopkins....
"I thought,
can this guy play at all"
didn't know who he was-
I was immediately informed by another local champion Mike Betts-
Mike said,
He can play-
that's Allen Hopkins-
He's a world class CHAMPION PLAYER

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

but now it is too late.
The analysis would reveal that the moments immediately before, during and immediately after contact are indentical.

That's my bet.

And I'd also bet that retired dude will wake up some time around noon to link some vids.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

His stroke is fantastic. Some of the secret I think, is that his arm is in constant motion, allowing him to be loose all the time. With a more orthodox swing, there is always the chance that you may tighten up on the match ball or something. One may achieve some of the effect by air stroking in between shots, while standing up, which may be a good idea, if tightening up is a big problem in your game. Just IMO, as always.

poolpro2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was amazed...

I have seen Busty pull the cue clear through his open bridge, completely off his hand and complete the shot. How do you do that?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lee Travino , Arnold Palmer , two very unique swings that produced many many tour wins ,
One thing I noticed having watched him a lot in the area when with Roys crew is he actually many times draws his cue past his bridge or the crease , I've never seen anyone do that and he delivers the cue dead straight, crazy ,

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
are we saying a stroke is nothing but delivering the cue straight through and accurately?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
are we saying a stroke is nothing but delivering the cue straight through and accurately?

The moment of impact! Everything else is just window dressing.

It's not the way you drive, but the way you arrive!

Last edited:

poolpro2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch Kristina Tkach

From what I have seen, she does little to no stroking at all.

She sets, lines up then shoots.

She is kinda good.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Also have noticed this before in a few Efren videos and believe I've seen other Pinoy players do the same thing.

Seems like they aim low on the cue ball when feather stroking regardless if they plan to use any top spin or draw...but then on the follow-through the tip will be in the correct position. I thought it might have something to do with being easier to see the center of the cue ball when stroking low? Just a guess.

I have seen Busty pull the cue clear through his open bridge, completely off his hand and complete the shot. How do you do that?

This will happen to me a couple times each session, whether in an open or closed bridge, but is completely by accident. Sometimes the shot goes perfect, while other times it happens and will totally throw everything off, usually resulting in a miscue.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Commentators are paid to talk, some say smart stuff, some say stupid stuff, this is all subjective.

We have a commentator who is on the payroll of the Arizona Cardinials, (FAUIX NFL TEAM):D he is a company man, always has some excuse why the team just did not finish with a Win v/s Loss. He annually line of BULLSH** is, telling fans "Next Year will be the Cardinals Year", he should also predict hell freezing over.:wink:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Bustamante does have a beautiful fluid stroke.
Don't let the long pause and great follow escape you.

Prettiest stroke I saw was Choo Choo Coltrain before he started getting the shakes.

Davenport, Efren, Hall, Luat, Andam and Parica have/had pretty strokes to me.

Kennedy, Hopkins, Paez, King Kong and Keith had odd ones to me.

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of Mike Massey.........a bunch of us were talking about strokes once....
...Mike said that most look the same if you just watch the cue the last bit coming into the ball...
...and that’s what Bustie’s cue looks like...the last part looks great....and very smooth.
....most players have different ways of delivering it.
Buddy, The Miz, and Alex would be three that are worth watching all the way back and forth.

I always assumed this to be the truth. If bustamante delivered his practice stroke through the cue ball he wouldn’t have great results. I would imagine if you put the digicue on most any pro their final stroke and follow through would be mostly perfect the majority of the time.. but I do agree with Dean, it’s hard to notice a good stroke unless their practice stroke or PSR is sloppy or shaky.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes sir. Absolutely

I would say that great players can DELIVER the cue to the cue ball with any motion they are most comfortable executing- What makes a great stroke is not at all how it looks- it is that the stroke combines three elements MOST consistently- it delivers the cue straight through the cue ball at the desired spot and speed; while the TIMING of this stroke makes this all happen while the shooter is LOCKED on the desired object ball contact point.
MOST misses by more advanced players have more to do with their timing than their actual stroke. I am convinced that the greats in this game have the most consistent internal timing system that allows them to execute their stroke at the optimum aiming point on the object ball most consistently. This follows through in many, many sports : Golf, Tennis, Base Ball, Hoops, etc.
The BODY follows the MIND, and the mind needs to be focused and relaxed at stroke execution time to allow the body to perform optimally,
THIS is really all I focus on when practicing now- it is my last frontier to conquer to get the most out of my game. After 55 years playing, I know what to do, and how to do it, sometimes i just don't do it!--- its all about your mind telling your body to GO- AT THE correct time -over and over and over again!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you think? You've played/seen a LOT of both golf and pool. I'm sure you've seen a lot of funky swings/strokes that REPEAT and get the $$$$. Who cares what it looks like??