Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page What things have you done to really improve your pool game?
Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Tempo is everything these days!
Old
  (#16)
Owins222
AzB Bronze Member
Owins222 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Tempo is everything these days! - 09-02-2012, 09:07 AM

A friend of mine talked to me about slowing down between shots, walking around the table, looking at the shot from all angles and making sure that I knew what my plan was before I got down on the shot. Leaving nothing but the execution of the shot at hand. I believe it is important to treat every shot like it could be your last shot and don't take any shots for granted thinking that they are simple, because sometimes those are the very shots that will send you back to your seat.

Old
  (#17)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock N Load View Post
Meaning just what the question ask you! Have you done a lot of little things that helped? Or a few big things that helped your pool game a lot? Your opinion is wanted and needed, as it may help some of the AZB family members learn something to help improve their pool game. One thing about helping people, you cannot help them if they know everything in pool already!
The biggies for me have been:
- practice, practice, practice.
- actually focus and aim every shot ... even the "easy" shots.
- follow the generally-recommended stroke "best practices" advice religiously.
- learn and fully understand all of the "secrets" and "gems" of pool.
Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#18)
krychekrowe
AzB Silver Member
krychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond repute

09-02-2012, 09:26 AM

I have read and listened to people who know more about this game than I do. Ratta(Ingo) viewed a video of me shooting some shots, he noticed I didn't have a eye pattern and told me how it works. I created one and this alone made me make more balls. Being stubborn I have spent literally two months creating my own version of Ekke's SEE-system. I started out reading his conclusion on how to pocket balls. Tried his way of thinking for angles 0-22.5 and created my own lines for the other angles. His train of thought fit me and my game.

These reference lines, stepping in to shot line has really worked out great. Two months of paying attention to what happens for certain angles and reference lines has finally paid of. Sure it has been a bit painful missing a lot of shots but I have been consistent and this is really upping my game.

I'm really saving alot of energy these days. I look at the shot, recognize the angle, determine what kind of shot I'm shooting, step into the for me correct reference/shot line use my eye pattern and shoot. No unnecessary aiming process everything seems easy. Not everything but you know what I mean.

Old
  (#19)
RRfireblade
Grammer Are For Stupids
RRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond repute

09-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Heres some more answers for ya:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=270290

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=262186

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=267470

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=266447

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=263085

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=276379

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Old
  (#20)
CreeDo
Fargo Rating 597
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
09-03-2012, 12:24 AM

The major thing I did that gave me a big jump was basically an attitude change.

I decided I wanted to play good, correct pool, rather than just beat up D-players with my bad C-player stroke. It meant working on parts of my game that were broken, unfamiliar, or uncomfortable.

I made a decision to hit every ball correctly, even if it meant missing the shot or losing the game.

Specific examples are here:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpo...8&postcount=20

I will also say the pause helped me learn how to make tough longer shots, and helped me diagnose bad stroke habits.

Old
  (#21)
Lock N Load
AzB Silver Member
Lock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond repute

09-03-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeDo View Post
The major thing I did that gave me a big jump was basically an attitude change.

I decided I wanted to play good, correct pool, rather than just beat up D-players with my bad C-player stroke. It meant working on parts of my game that were broken, unfamiliar, or uncomfortable.

I made a decision to hit every ball correctly, even if it meant missing the shot or losing the game.

Specific examples are here:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpo...8&postcount=20

I will also say the pause helped me learn how to make tough longer shots, and helped me diagnose bad stroke habits.
A lot of good things done to improve your game. I like that! Thanks for all the positive input.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Old
  (#22)
OTB
I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
OTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3900

09-03-2012, 07:28 PM

Practice a 1000% more.......

~ Old Time Billiards Pool Hall ~
Cues: Mottey ~ Titlist
Shaft: OB-1 & pre-cat Predator 314
Tip: Area 51 Shit!!
Breaker: McDermott (Tweeked NG-02)
Case: (2) Justis 2x4 Brown (Python Diamonds & Ring Tail), 2x2 O'neil , (2) 1x2 Fellini,1x2 Ron Thomas, 1x1 Whitten Tan Ostrich,1x2 GTF

~I DONT GAMBLE, I GIVE IT AWAY... STOP BY AND SHOOT A GAME~...J.H.
~STAKING YOURSELF IS THE SIGN OF TRUE TALENT!!~..Orig. Quote by J.H.
C-Note Lock

Old
  (#23)
blackda
AzB Silver Member
blackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond repute

09-03-2012, 07:38 PM

I started ...
Shooting easier,
Practicing daily
and Shooting against players better than myself.

The guys (the better players) comment about how my game has drastically improved since the first of the year.

Old
  (#24)
Lock N Load
AzB Silver Member
Lock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond repute

09-03-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackda View Post
I started ...
Shooting easier,
Practicing daily
and Shooting against players better than myself.

The guys (the better players) comment about how my game has drastically improved since the first of the year.
You must be pretty good then!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Old
  (#25)
Lock N Load
AzB Silver Member

09-03-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Practice a 1000% more.......
You are already too good. Now you are trying to get better! People better watch out for you.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Old
  (#26)
ctran
You watch me.
ctran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond repute

09-03-2012, 07:55 PM

I switched from Mezz to a custom cue, and completely changed my game, from very flamboyant to very simple, employ the clock system to apply english, practice better, slow and gentle strokes. And my game improved significantly even though I play only 5hr/week and against players of my levels only, no matches against better ones.

I will pick up better opponents now

My improvement was shown in my 2 recent tournament results. Amateur only, but I got into last 16 and last 8 respectively.

Old
  (#27)
Lock N Load
AzB Silver Member

09-03-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctran View Post
I switched from Mezz to a custom cue, and completely changed my game, from very flamboyant to very simple, employ the clock system to apply english, practice better, slow and gentle strokes. And my game improved significantly even though I play only 5hr/week and against players of my levels only, no matches against better ones.

I will pick up better opponents now

My improvement was shown in my 2 recent tournament results. Amateur only, but I got into last 16 and last 8 respectively.
Wow! That is a great improvement. The clock system is what Buddy Hall uses also. Good luck.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Old
  (#28)
ctran
You watch me.
ctran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond repute

09-03-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock N Load View Post
Wow! That is a great improvement. The clock system is what Buddy Hall uses also. Good luck.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.
Yes, that is the Buddy Hall system I am trying to follow. even my friends who often play me are surprised how I changed my game so quickly. I am very pleased and will definitely continue this way. I have played pool for a long time but only play seriously since I bought my 1st cue a year ago, then I truly know how to define my game and improve since my 1st custom cue (3 months ago).

and I met a fellow Vietnamese (leminhnam on AzB) who gave me very nice and useful advice.

Old
  (#29)
nobcitypool
AzB Silver Member
nobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond repute

09-03-2012, 08:19 PM

Two lessons from Scott Lee. Looking forward to a third soon. Then lots of practice. A lesson from John Brumback didn't hurt anything either.

Playing Cue: Jensen with Revo 12.4 Shaft
Break Cue: OB Rift

Old
  (#30)
jacknguyen
AzB Bronze Member
jacknguyen is on a distinguished road

09-03-2012, 08:51 PM

never stop playing, change your game, practice straight pool (this help a lottt) stay away from 9 ball, sit down, patient watching better guy play, learn and take note from their stroke. when i lost confidence, i always play this game based the score on bowling type, you got 10 balls and 2 shots to clear up table, if you run out, you got 20 points, if you clear in 2 shots, you got clear (10 points), max round is 10, try to get above 170 each time you play and I swear to god it helps you a lot, not only recover your confidence but improve ur stroke 2.

Play: after tried many different shafts finally settled down wif ikon 1-hybrid pro II
Break: Mezz PBII with DIP-H, players pure x black
Cases: Pre cat 2x4 and vincitore LW36BY

Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: