Reload this Page E-Cigarettes and Vaporizers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
E-Cigarettes and Vaporizers
Old
  (#1)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster
ChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

E-Cigarettes and Vaporizers - 05-22-2014, 01:52 PM

No cigarettes for me for 2 weeks now. First time in 40 years. These things really do work. The unit I have now is the third revision so I guess you could say I am really into to it. I am not surprised that the nanny state now wants to ban them. The only senators that are proposing bans all have a (D) behind their name. Big tobacco and big pharma stand to lose a shipload of money over the next 10 years. I doubt that their current business model will continue to exist for much longer if they cannot get the industry shutdown.

Vape shops are springing up all over. It is still just getting started. I couldn't be happier with my decision and should have done it years ago. The mixture in these e-liquids is tunable. You can get any level of mix you want. This means you can designate the amount of nicotine in the mix. I started at 18mg and I am now down to 10mg. That is in just 2 weeks. Of course my goal is to go to zero. I see no reason why I cannot achieve that. Everyone says take your time and don't get into to much of a hurry. At least I am going in the right direction.

There is a lot of disinformation flying around about these things. It is easy enough to figure out what the probable source of it is. The e-cigs that you see in the gas stations are the ones that need to be avoided. They are also produced by the big tobacco companies and they are not to careful about what they put into them. Of course, nobody wants to ban those. They are disposable. Non rechargeable refillable ones are the ones that congress and the FDA are raising hell about. They want to ban the ones where you decide what goes into the mix. Where you decide what level of nicotine you are exposed to. That is suddenly a travesty that cannot be allowed to continue.

I was on a golfing vacation in Orlando last weekend. One of the guys there was a lifelong smoker. He expressed an interest in what I had. I went and got the first unit I bought that I had along as a spare and set him up. He said he smoked 3 cigarettes the first day and 2 the next. He used the e-cig I gave him the rest of the time. That's a 2 pack a day smoker down to almost zero immediately. These things work.

Don't believe everything you think.

Old
  (#2)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member
Sofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-22-2014, 02:35 PM

Congratulations on that!

I hope you're right, as I'm working on that same thing myself.

But so far as I know, there is no evidence to support either harm reduction by switching, or aid in quitting smoking the real things from e-cig use. Perhaps just like all other methods targeting cutting down or quitting, some work for some people, and not all people. I do hope it continues to work for you and will work for me. It seems like it should work, and maybe it's just that the evidence isn't in yet?

One thing though: the no-smoking pool hall I go to on Tuesdays has also banned the e-cigs. I don't know how the law works for indoor smoking bans, whether e-cigs are allowed or not. If they are allowed, then you'd be getting nicotine in a setting that you normally could not, somewhat reducing the cut down outcome looked for.

Old
  (#3)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge
FairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2014, 02:53 PM

Congrats getting off the coffin nails. I quit cold turkey over 3 years ago, Feb 3rd 2011 to be exact. I smoked for about 18 years. no patches, no vaping/ecigs, no crutches.... The first 2 weeks were the worst. It was a cakewalk after that. I never had a craving, what I found to be hard was breaking my routine. I never smoked in the house, so for the first 2 weeks after quitting, I'd catch myself going outside to smoke cigs that didn't exist!! I gained about 20lbs, which is normal. Its not from over-eating from quitting, so fear not unless you're scarfing junk food. As your body detoxes the nicotine, your metabolism slows a little, and you will gain a little weight. Just eat a little smarter in the months following, and the weight will come right back off. within 3 months, I was back down to my normal weight, your metabilism will recover on its own, so don't be alarmed.

Quitting is the most liberating and healthy thing you can ever do for yourself!! You will feel so much better when you are no longer in need of that nasty stuff known as nicotine! I urge you go quit vaping/ecigs as well. They are not a safe alternative. Nicotine causes health issues on its own, such as heart disease. Just because the smoke is gone, doesn't mean its any better!! That's no way to be!! Hang in there man!!

If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.

I have never quoted someone in my signature....but I found such a shallow idiotic comment like this worthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Everybody already knows that "conservative" means "bigot".

pj
chgo

Last edited by FairladyZ; 05-22-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added a little more

Old
  (#4)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Excellent Chop.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm just a flea along for the ride... ---366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

If our answers scare you, maybe you should stop asking frightening questions.---ChicagoRJ

Old
  (#5)
backplaying
AzB Silver Member
backplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopStick View Post
No cigarettes for me for 2 weeks now. First time in 40 years. These things really do work. The unit I have now is the third revision so I guess you could say I am really into to it. I am not surprised that the nanny state now wants to ban them. The only senators that are proposing bans all have a (D) behind their name. Big tobacco and big pharma stand to lose a shipload of money over the next 10 years. I doubt that their current business model will continue to exist for much longer if they cannot get the industry shutdown.

Vape shops are springing up all over. It is still just getting started. I couldn't be happier with my decision and should have done it years ago. The mixture in these e-liquids is tunable. You can get any level of mix you want. This means you can designate the amount of nicotine in the mix. I started at 18mg and I am now down to 10mg. That is in just 2 weeks. Of course my goal is to go to zero. I see no reason why I cannot achieve that. Everyone says take your time and don't get into to much of a hurry. At least I am going in the right direction.

There is a lot of disinformation flying around about these things. It is easy enough to figure out what the probable source of it is. The e-cigs that you see in the gas stations are the ones that need to be avoided. They are also produced by the big tobacco companies and they are not to careful about what they put into them. Of course, nobody wants to ban those. They are disposable. Non rechargeable refillable ones are the ones that congress and the FDA are raising hell about. They want to ban the ones where you decide what goes into the mix. Where you decide what level of nicotine you are exposed to. That is suddenly a travesty that cannot be allowed to continue.

I was on a golfing vacation in Orlando last weekend. One of the guys there was a lifelong smoker. He expressed an interest in what I had. I went and got the first unit I bought that I had along as a spare and set him up. He said he smoked 3 cigarettes the first day and 2 the next. He used the e-cig I gave him the rest of the time. That's a 2 pack a day smoker down to almost zero immediately. These things work.
They have been working great for me. A place I play pool at is no smoking and I use to go out to smoke about 20 times a night, now its one or two. Good luck and hopefully we will all quit this stupid habit.

Old
  (#6)
BryanBpool
M.T.F.B.
BryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2014, 04:50 AM

There must be 2 dozen regulars at my pool hall (myself included) that have quit the use of cigarettes with the help of ecigs.

Unfortunately, I do not see the government letting it go on too much longer. An actual product that helps people quit will not fly. There is too much money at stake.

They will either outright ban them (for our protection, of course) or tax the living @#$% out of them.

Old
  (#7)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge
FairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanBpool View Post
Unfortunately, I do not see the government letting it go on too much longer. An actual product that helps people quit will not fly. There is too much money at stake.
While I agree with that in a strange anti-government way, the tax revenue that cigs generate is enormous (no telling what goes on under the table either)...... I must say there is no miracle in a bottle to make one quit smoking. Willpower is the only way, and theres no drug that comes anywhere near that. If you're determined, you will quit.

I have never quoted someone in my signature....but I found such a shallow idiotic comment like this worthy!
Quote:

pj
chgo

Old
  (#8)
smokeandapancak
what?
smokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
  Send a message via Yahoo to smokeandapancak  
05-23-2014, 09:14 AM

I quit smoking years ago, from one day to the next. I smoked a pack a day for about 15 years. I have no interest in picking the habit back up AT ALL.

That being said, I will have a smoke a few times year if I get to the proper level of drunkeness .

They wife and I each have vap unit but use the 0mg flavors...for the hell of it. I have to say, the first time I pulled on one it felt exactly like a real smoke. I was really surprised, so much so that I actually thought it might get me back to craving real cigs

We use our very rarely and it more like a hookah deal for us andwe only use the fruit like flavors.

dude

Old
  (#9)
BryanBpool
M.T.F.B.
BryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeandapancak View Post
I quit smoking years ago, from one day to the next. I smoked a pack a day for about 15 years. I have no interest in picking the habit back up AT ALL.

That being said, I will have a smoke a few times year if I get to the proper level of drunkeness .

They wife and I each have vap unit but use the 0mg flavors...for the hell of it. I have to say, the first time I pulled on one it felt exactly like a real smoke. I was really surprised, so much so that I actually thought it might get me back to craving real cigs

We use our very rarely and it more like a hookah deal for us andwe only use the fruit like flavors.
Those flavors will be the first to go. Its for the children, after all.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsul...-the-children/

Old
  (#10)
BryanBpool
M.T.F.B.

05-23-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
While I agree with that in a strange anti-government way, the tax revenue that cigs generate is enormous (no telling what goes on under the table either)...... I must say there is no miracle in a bottle to make one quit smoking. Willpower is the only way, and theres no drug that comes anywhere near that. If you're determined, you will quit.
Agreed.

There is no safe alternative to cigarettes. That being said, if I am going to inhale something, I'd much prefer water vapor over burning plant matter loaded with accelerants and god knows what else.

Old
  (#11)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge

05-23-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Agreed.

There is no safe alternative to cigarettes. That being said, if I am going to inhale something, I'd much prefer water vapor over burning plant matter loaded with accelerants and god knows what else.
100% agreed there as well. The long term effects of vaping have yet to be determined, but short term, i've read a few cases where vaping in cold weather has lead to pneumonia....and of course the normal side affects of the nicotine. If smoking cigs was a healthy addiction, I'd be a 3 pack a day smoker!! I just like being alive more than jamming leaves in my face and setting them on fire.

Quote:

pj
chgo

Old
  (#12)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster
ChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Naturally, I disagree with your assessment.

Quote:
100% agreed there as well. The long term effects of vaping have yet to be determined, but short term, i've read a few cases where vaping in cold weather has lead to pneumonia....and of course the normal side affects of the nicotine.
I found the source of that. It is a post in the E-Cigarette forum by an e-cigarette user. 420GypsyGirl? She sounds like a fun girl.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for....html#comments

A friend of hers got some bad liquid off the internet dirt cheap from China. A cautionary tale. As far as the health effects, this vapor has been studied for decades going back as far as a CDC study in 1994 which showed no adverse health effects. There have been other studies since then. The vapors have been measured and analyzed numerous times. Nothing harmful except for nicotine, which is not a carcinogen, has ever turned up. There was one case of a gas station type e-cigarette look alike that had something bad in it. Those are made by the big tobacco companies so that explains that. Nothing has ever been found in a vaporizer unit with the exception of 420Girls friend.

There are many good companies making e-liquids today. They are registered with the FDA and openly list the components they use in making them. The FDA itself has listed propylene glycol, the primary component in the vapor as being safe. It is even used in pharmaceuticals.

No solution is perfect. However this turns out for me, I have at a minimum removed 100% of the carcinogenic materials I was formerly exposed to daily.

Old
  (#13)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster

05-23-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

It is not water vapor. It is the same stuff that is used in theatrical smoke. When it is absorbed by the body it is metabolized into water. That is where that idea came from.

I understand that out west, they are making it in weed flavor already.

Old
  (#14)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge

05-23-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Naturally, I disagree with your assessment.
While you're free to do so, and that's completely ok, I'm not offended or feed the need to argue it....everyone is different.....but don't just stop at smoking. Now that you've weaned yourself off the smokes, now set a goal to wean yourself off vaping/ecigs, and use no crutch in their place. In the end, when successful, you'll find that you've beaten the addiction with no "miracle in a bottle" method, conquest was done with your willpower. Its the most powerful asset you have!!
Quote:
No solution is perfect. However this turns out for me, I have at a minimum removed 100% of the carcinogenic materials I was formerly exposed to daily.
That's the bottom line!! Hang in there!!

Quote:

pj
chgo

Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
Old
  (#15)
church66
AzB Silver Member
church66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond repute

Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple - 05-23-2014, 08:18 PM

When I grew up there was alway cigarettes in the house (both parents smoked) & one day I caught my older brother sneaking one so I said I was gonna tell so he said you try & when I did he said you can't tell now because I'll tell on you so that was my 1st time & I was about 4 years old !

Never did tell & never had another until I was a teenager & everybody seemed to smoke & I joined in to be with the in crowd , bad mistake , I got hooked but the cigarettes were cheap back then.

Married a smoker & 4 packs of 20 between us were getting expensive & when 20 Regal King Size got to near £3 a pack I switched to hand rolling tobacco , Golden Virginia @ £1.69 a pack & @ the time the dreaded taxman left it duty free in the budgets but then he changed his mind & I switched to a cheaper brand , Amber Leaf with free papers but the taxman sent the price from £1.80 odds to £4.34 last time I looked & @ £3 I switched to Gold Leaf £2.79 a pack & 50 papers free but when that reaches £3 a pack , well.

When I started smoking they cost pennies a pack & nowadays 20 regal King Size retails locally @ £9.10 per pack & sure I bought an E-Cig & filter pack but I coughed my guts up so hard I started hand rolling again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: