Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page New Found Hobby....Pen Turning
Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-15-2014, 09:45 AM

I really like the pool cue pens Bishop.

What style of pen kits are those?

The Bottle Stoppers are pretty snazzy too.

You can get cane kits as well. Jimmy Baxter, who makes joint protectors and now more cues in his retirement, used to make canes.

Obviously you would need a larger lathe to turn a cane. I have seen pictures of pool cue canes or walking sticks. Some or most had a pool ball at the end for your hand. Something to do with old house cues.

I know that Jimmy sold some of his canes for a nice sum.

With so many small project kits that one can make, I would imagine that at a Craft Sale, those projects would go like hot cakes.
People are always looking for unique Christmas presents.

Altho, some of Bishops pens made from old estate wood like Washington's apple trees go for a much higher price, and rightly so.

Its the same as owning a piece of American History to have one of those.

Bishop, if you're interested, there is a cue maker, (AZ name, QMaker), Bob Flinn in CA, that was selling Ancient Kauri. The Kauri is from New Zealand, buried in the last Ice Age and carbon dated to 50,000 yrs old. With any pieces of wood, you get a LOA with them.

If you Googled AncientKauri.com, I think that will take you to their site.

I have enuff for a fore arm, handle and butt sleeve. Its very light and not the prettiest wood around but its the principle of having something that old.
I am going to use a purple heart core and will be fun to have a Fred Flintstone pool cue.

Just a thought as you have a few Timeless Pieces for sale on your site.

To play Pool, is to suffer.
To learn to be a better player, is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Dhurka, Dhurka, Allah, Muhammad Jihad

Last edited by Blue Hog ridr; 05-15-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Old
  (#77)
Bishop
AzB Silver Member
Bishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-15-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hog ridr View Post
I really like the pool cue pens Bishop.

What style of pen kits are those?

The Bottle Stoppers are pretty snazzy too.

You can get cane kits as well. Jimmy Baxter, who makes joint protectors and now more cues in his retirement, used to make canes.

Obviously you would need a larger lathe to turn a cane. I have seen pictures of pool cue canes or walking sticks. Some or most had a pool ball at the end for your hand. Something to do with old house cues.

I know that Jimmy sold some of his canes for a nice sum.

With so many small project kits that one can make, I would imagine that at a Craft Sale, those projects would go like hot cakes.
People are always looking for unique Christmas presents.

Altho, some of Bishops pens made from old estate wood like Washington's apple trees go for a much higher price, and rightly so.

Its the same as owning a piece of American History to have one of those.

Bishop, if you're interested, there is a cue maker, (AZ name, QMaker), Bob Flinn in CA, that was selling Ancient Kauri. The Kauri is from New Zealand, buried in the last Ice Age and carbon dated to 50,000 yrs old. With any pieces of wood, you get a LOA with them.

If you Googled AncientKauri.com, I think that will take you to their site.

I have enuff for a fore arm, handle and butt sleeve. Its very light and not the prettiest wood around but its the principle of having something that old.
I am going to use a purple heart core and will be fun to have a Fred Flintstone pool cue.

Just a thought as you have a few Timeless Pieces for sale on your site.
Check your rep bud, I gave you the name of the kit there.

I actually have some Kauri blanks, just haven't gotten around to using them yet. I also have quite a bit of sunken and historical wood. I had planned to turn out a bunch of stuff for my site but then got hit with a slew of orders, can't complain.

Plus I just bought a Hightower...haven't even begun to figure out how to set that up. Its been 17-18 years since I've turned anything cue related.

I like the idea of a purple heart core, looking forward to seeing how that turns out for you.

Old
  (#78)
Bishop
AzB Silver Member
Bishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2014, 05:50 PM

3 new ones without a home. Its been awhile since I've turned acrylic. All came out real nice. The middle one is spalted sunken live oak which was pulled from the Bedico swamps in Louisiana about 5 months ago. Just got in a huge batch of sunken woods in. Cedar, oak, pine, cypress.

Old
  (#79)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale
Allen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2014, 05:57 PM

Those are nice. I have the top blank I have to turn soon. Its been a while since ive even been in the shop. Work has kept me really busy. This week should be a productive week though.

Old
  (#80)
keepanionme
AzB Silver Member
keepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
3 new ones without a home. Its been awhile since I've turned acrylic. All came out real nice. The middle one is spalted sunken live oak which was pulled from the Bedico swamps in Louisiana about 5 months ago. Just got in a huge batch of sunken woods in. Cedar, oak, pine, cypress.

Those acrylic pens you have there are really nice. I like the cigar style as well.

Old
  (#81)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale
Allen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2014, 07:24 AM

Keepanionme, I havent forgot about you. Making a trip to the shop today.

Old
  (#82)
keepanionme
AzB Silver Member
keepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond reputekeepanionme has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Brown View Post
Keepanionme, I havent forgot about you. Making a trip to the shop today.
No worries Allen. I'm in week 4 of my home renovation. The first floor of my home is being redone. All my stuff has been in my shop since it began. I've not had access to do anything since then. I'm itchin to get back

Old
  (#83)
Bishop
AzB Silver Member

06-12-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepanionme View Post
Those acrylic pens you have there are really nice. I like the cigar style as well.
Thanks. I've tried a number of Cigar style pens. That particular model is easily my favorite.

The only click mechanism I like more is the long click.

Old
  (#84)
keepanionme
AzB Silver Member

06-24-2014, 08:51 AM

On recommendation from Bishop, I decided to make a few Big Ben Cigars.

One is a piece of Ebony that was sent to me by Allen Brown - amongst many other blanks he sent to me.

The second one is a piece of Bacote I had in the shop. Both are finished using a high friction polish.
Attached Images

Old
  (#85)
Bishop
AzB Silver Member

06-24-2014, 11:20 AM

Really nice piece of Bocote there. Nothing beats a good dark knot like that. For a pocket pen I'm really starting to like those Cigars.

Old
  (#86)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Keep, I like the Ebony and the pen styles. Very classy.

Gotta tell ya. After the Dr. app yesterday, my back is totaled.

Its unbelievable. Not much money in the cue business in my city lately, not that a guy can make a living anyway.

Looks like I'll be off work for close to another year if I elect for surgery.

Maybe I should start doing the pens sooner than I had expected.

To play Pool, is to suffer.
To learn to be a better player, is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Dhurka, Dhurka, Allah, Muhammad Jihad

Old
  (#87)
smokeandapancak
what?
smokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
  Send a message via Yahoo to smokeandapancak  
06-24-2014, 02:40 PM

Really impressive work here guys...I am a pen guy for sure.

I think it was LWW who said he'd be out at $400 for a pen!!? Bro, that would be a down payment on some that I own. I know to each his own, I would drop 1200 on a pen but there isnt anyway I would drop 8K on a cue.

Are any of the ones posted in this thread for sale? If so let me know prices via PM.

dude

Old
  (#88)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale

06-24-2014, 02:48 PM

I believe Bishop has some for sale on his website.

Acrylic Cigar Pen and Pencil set
Old
  (#89)
keepanionme
AzB Silver Member

Acrylic Cigar Pen and Pencil set - 08-28-2014, 08:18 AM

It's been awhile since I've been able to do anything in the shop. I made this set as a gift for a friend's son that just joined the army.

I got the cigar pen and pencil kit from Woodcraft. The blanks are Kryptonite, also from Woodcraft.

Although a bit more expensive, it sure is nice to have a Woodcraft store in my backyard.
Attached Images

Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: