Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Austin Anyone?
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
HelloBaby-
AzB Silver Member
HelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-01-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rosenstock View Post
I'm moving from New York City to Austin, Texas in about three weeks. I'm probably going to end up visiting every single poolroom in a 30 mile radius of me within the first month but wondered if anyone here could provide a list of their favorites and what makes them your favorites.
Depends on what you want
Skinny Bob has nice atmosphere and a lot of actions but awful awful tables.
Manor has Diamonds with almost new felt and that says it all

Old
  (#17)
Jude Rosenstock
AzB Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond repute

04-01-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBaby- View Post
Depends on what you want
Skinny Bob has nice atmosphere and a lot of actions but awful awful tables.
Manor has Diamonds with almost new felt and that says it all
Manor? Is that the name of the poolroom?

Cue: Schon with OB shaft
Twitter: @JudeRosenstock

Old
  (#18)
HelloBaby-
AzB Silver Member
HelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond repute

04-01-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Manor? Is that the name of the poolroom?
https://www.facebook.com/Ramossportsbar/?fref=ts

Old
  (#19)
rhinobywilhite
AzB Silver Member
rhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond repute

04-04-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks, this is great info! I did spend a weekend in Austin a couple years ago and stopped into Buffalo's with the wife. I'm glad your opinion and mine match-up perfectly. It's a very nice spot but not exactly a player's room.
Skinny Bob's has the major tournaments and attracts world class players when they are in town but Ramos Sports Bar has a good one pocket tournament and also 9 ball tournaments with stiff competition in both 1 pocket and 9 ball. There are some very sporty players in the Austin area.

Enjoy your time in Austin. It is a laid back place to live and, being from New York, you will not be stressed by the traffic. Rentals and house purchases are a little pricey for Texas but you will probably feel like you are stealing. Much cheaper than your former area.

Old
  (#20)
funnyman
AzB Bronze Member
funnyman is on a distinguished road

04-04-2016, 08:56 AM

- Clicks on South Oltorf has the best 8-ft tables in the city limits.
- the Warehouse on Ben White has a 10-ft snooker table.
- the Thursday night and Saturday afternoon 9-ball tournaments on 9-ft GCs at The Grand seem to attract some real shooters (a little out of my league).

I agree everyone says Skinny Bob's is where it's at. But I love The Grand for in-town play. Great spot with great people. The Wednesday night unsanctioned BCA 8-ball league is cheap, fast and fun -- guys playing APA 6 & 7 pool and having a good time.

You'll love the pool scene here. Free on most nights somewhere, an APA or BCA league every weeknight, and lots of weekend tournaments.

Last edited by funnyman; 04-04-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Old
  (#21)
td873
BCA PCA ABA
td873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

04-04-2016, 11:03 AM

Jude,

I made the same transition a while back. I actually think we played together at Corner/Amsterdam. Maybe even the west side Amsterdam. And most likely on the Tri-state tour back in the early 2000s! Time sure flies!

Texas is a great place. You'll like the lack of any state or city income taxes! Quality of life and cost to live are way lower as well [but I'm sure you know all of that]. I made my way to Houston through Dallas.

PM me anytime. And you're welcome to swing by Houston to shoot the breeze or play some. I have a 9' GC at the house

Congrats on the move - best of luck on the family side.

-td

Black + Gilbert J/B
Justis
9' GC I/II [Diamond Specs] [Littman light]
Simonis HR [Tournament blue]
Aramith Pro Cup TV / Cyclop

Old
  (#22)
Jude Rosenstock
AzB Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond repute

04-05-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td873 View Post
Jude,

I made the same transition a while back. I actually think we played together at Corner/Amsterdam. Maybe even the west side Amsterdam. And most likely on the Tri-state tour back in the early 2000s! Time sure flies!

Texas is a great place. You'll like the lack of any state or city income taxes! Quality of life and cost to live are way lower as well [but I'm sure you know all of that]. I made my way to Houston through Dallas.

PM me anytime. And you're welcome to swing by Houston to shoot the breeze or play some. I have a 9' GC at the house

Congrats on the move - best of luck on the family side.

-td
Thanks TD! The moment I get settled, I plan to start doing some exploring which will definitely include Houston. I'll let you know when I'm in town.

Old
  (#23)
Jude Rosenstock
AzB Silver Member

04-26-2016, 11:45 AM

Well, I started my four day trek from New York to Austin on Friday feeling perfectly fine. By the time I hit New Jersey (almost two hours through grinding traffic), I felt a cold coming on. I made it to Richmond, Virginia that day, played at Jim Gottier's poolroom called "Greenleaf's" which was spectacular (the equipment is in great shape and the food is the best I've ever had in a poolroom).

My second day had me going to Nashville. By then, my cold was in full force. Doing a long drive, alone while sick is no picnic but I managed to get there only to find out my AirBnB room was a fraud. The host's account was hacked and had no idea I was due to arrive. I ended-up staying in a cheap motel room (everything was booked) and AirBnB picked-up the cost.

I was hoping to make it to Shreveport, Louisiana to visit a friend on the third night but the frequent breaks I took made that impossible so I called it a day in Texarkana which is basically the same distance to Austin as Shreveport.

So, I'm here. In one piece. I'm mostly unpacked and finally feeling better, still waiting for the cable guy to come and hook me up which isn't happening until tomorrow. I think I'm going to go play some pool tonight. Not sure where to begin!

Old
  (#24)
asiasdad
All PEDOS must DIE
asiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2425

04-26-2016, 12:03 PM

I just found this thread. I drive from Waco to Round Rock on Sundays (about
an hour and 20 min) to play at Skinny Bobs as there is no table in between
worth playing on.

The manor spot with the diamonds is very nice, however I cannot find any
one pocket players there where at Skinny Bobs, they're all over the place - lol.

Welcome to Texas.

Danny

Old
  (#25)
td873
BCA PCA ABA
td873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

04-26-2016, 12:07 PM

Glad you made it "home" safe and sound! Try Salt Lick for some good BBQ when you get around to exploring!

-td

Black + Gilbert J/B
Justis
9' GC I/II [Diamond Specs] [Littman light]
Simonis HR [Tournament blue]
Aramith Pro Cup TV / Cyclop

Old
  (#26)
akaTrigger
Hi!
akaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 475

04-27-2016, 09:10 AM

Welcome to Texas!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Read my Pool Blog

akaTrigger FaceBook FanPage

Old
  (#27)
jtompilot
AzB Silver Member
jtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond repute

02-14-2019, 10:02 AM

Reviving this thread.

Iíll be in Austin Sunday evening and all day Monday. Planning on getting out for some 1P.

Old
  (#28)
nine_ball6970
585 speed drunk
nine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond repute

02-14-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
Reviving this thread.

Iíll be in Austin Sunday evening and all day Monday. Planning on getting out for some 1P.
Hello sir. The Texas Open 10 ball is this weekend at Skinny Bob's. There won't be any tables available at Skinny Bobs on Sunday for sure. There may be some available later in the day on Monday though.

Old
  (#29)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

02-14-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Rock View Post
15 Minutes without traffic. I know you are from New York and all but Austin traffic is pretty awful.
This post is 3 years old. I wonder how Austin traffic is now. And I wonder how it will be once Apple builds its new campus down there.

There was some hope around here that Apple would set up shop in the Triangle area. Although that would have definitely increased our real estate values, I'm glad Apple (and Amazon) decided to go elsewhere. We don't need the extra crowding around here. Or, maybe I'm just talking sour grapes.

Old
  (#30)
StraightPoolIU
Brent
StraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

02-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Round Rock Donuts is another great place to stop while you're there visiting Skinny Bobs.

"No bar, no bowling alley, no pinball machines. Just pool. Nothin else."

Playing Cue: 2003 Pechauer P15
Break Cue: Joss Thor Hammer (purpleheart with ironwood rings)
Jump Cue: OB Lift
Current Tip: G2
Shaft: OB Pro Plus

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: