Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Besides Steve Mizerak, did any other us pool pros try snooker?
Page 2 of 7 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
StraightPoolIU
Brent
StraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

02-15-2019, 08:43 PM

I knew Rempe seriously pursued the game, but I didn't know he even had that much success. Pretty impressive imo.

For an American to have success they'd have to start extremely young and be born, raised, and trained in the snooker culture playing the game exclusively from the very beginning. That's really not possible unless they moved to the UK as a youngster for some reason.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

"No bar, no bowling alley, no pinball machines. Just pool. Nothin else."

Playing Cue: 2003 Pechauer P15
Break Cue: Joss Thor Hammer (purpleheart with ironwood rings)
Jump Cue: OB Lift
Current Tip: G2
Shaft: OB Pro Plus

Old
  (#17)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-15-2019, 09:24 PM

--------------

Last edited by Low500; 05-03-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Old
  (#18)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

02-15-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
Danny Jones played very serious snooker and knocked over a lot of big hitters.
Left to right: U.J. Puckett, Joe Cosgrove, Railroad John, Junior Goff in front, unknown, and Danny Jones. Around 1963 I think, Macon, Georgia.
Attachment 512642
Nice pic, Low
Danny Jones deserved the name Handsome...even though they say he gave it to himself.
Two time American snooker champion.
Last time I saw him was at a tournament in Memphis...1989....we talked for a while.....
...he’d been to Toronto....won a few hundred on the 6x12s.

Last time I saw Junior Goff, he looked to be close to 80, in between knocking off a few
shortstops, the room cranked the music and he was in the middle of the room dancing.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#19)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2019, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
Danny Jones played very serious snooker and knocked over a lot of big hitters.
Left to right: U.J. Puckett, Joe Cosgrove, Railroad John, Junior Goff in front, unknown, and Danny Jones. Around 1963 I think, Macon, Georgia.
Attachment 512642
I think the guy next to Jones is Roy Gandy, owner of the table company of the same name. UJ was still a big healthy guy back then. According to some other old timers he was also one tough MF'er as well.
P.S. Danny won that snooker tournament. I think the year was 1961, right before I came on the scene . In 1961 I was busy playing tennis on my high school team; second doubles my Junior year and second singles my Senior year in 1962. The Hustler pulled me away from tennis and made a pool player out of me.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 02-16-2019 at 04:57 AM.

Old
  (#20)
Oze147
AzB Silver Member
Oze147 has a reputation beyond reputeOze147 has a reputation beyond reputeOze147 has a reputation beyond reputeOze147 has a reputation beyond reputeOze147 has a reputation beyond reputeOze147 has a reputation beyond reputeOze147 has a reputation beyond reputeOze147 has a reputation beyond reputeOze147 has a reputation beyond reputeOze147 has a reputation beyond reputeOze147 has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2019, 06:50 AM

I think these days no pool pro has a serious chance to establish himself on the main tour and vice versa a top snooker player will not be able to make an impact at a WC or an US open etc.

At the time where Mizerak and Steve Davis played their exhibitions there were more similarities in the games, but now both sports demand specialized skills to succeed. Be it aggressive longpotting and breakbuilding or jumping, breaking and kicking.

That doesn`t mean there is a deference in talent. If SVB would have grown up in London Im sure he would be a star in snooker nowadays and if Ronnie would be an American...maybe we would have seen even more Earl meltdowns

Old
  (#21)
bstroud
AzB Silver Member
bstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I think the guy next to Jones is Roy Gandy, owner of the table company of the same name. UJ was still a big healthy guy back then. According to some other old timers he was also one tough MF'er as well.
P.S. Danny won that snooker tournament. I think the year was 1961, right before I came on the scene . In 1961 I was busy playing tennis on my high school team; second doubles my Junior year and second singles my Senior year in 1962. The Hustler pulled me away from tennis and made a pool player out of me.
Jay,

I was at this Macon tournament. I was traveling with E. Taylor.
Danny won the snooker. Beating Taylor in the finals.
Junior Goff was third and I was fourth.
I would have beaten Junior except for the fact that he called a foul on me when my shirt touched a ball in the last game.

Met Puckett for the first time when he left his cue in Gandys' pool room. I found it and took it across the street where he was eating with Taylor and Joe Cosgrove and returned it.

Bill S.

Old
  (#22)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
02-16-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
that would be nice to see
I wonder if that is where he morphed into his new found conservativeness-If not then maybe he should try again now that he has it.

Old
  (#23)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2019, 07:17 AM

a bit off-topic but

former english pool player joe o'connor (junior champ i think) is making a considerable dent in the ongoing snooker welsh open. playing the semi as we speak, having beaten higgins, ding junhui and kyren wilson on his way there.. i believe he has only played snooker for 4-5 years or something like that, but then again he's only 24 yrs

Never tried it.
Old
  (#24)
JessEm
AzB Silver Member
JessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond repute

Never tried it. - 02-16-2019, 07:41 AM

Can't say I have. Looks fun though.

Old
  (#25)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2019, 07:53 AM

Pool is like miniature golf vs real golf when compared to snooker, love both games but snooker is so much harder. No offense to anyone, just how I feel after playing both games. I doubt most pool pros could compete with snooker pros. Easier to pick up pool than snooker, a 6x12 snooker table plays harder than the toughest diamond, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Jesus never existed. It is the longest running practical joke the Jews or anybody else has ever pulled.

Last edited by Snooker Theory; 02-16-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Old
  (#26)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
Pool is like miniature golf vs real golf when compared to snooker, love both games but snooker is so much harder. No offense to anyone, just how I feel after playing both games. I doubt most pool pros could compete with snooker pros. Easier to pick up pool than snooker, a 6x12 snooker table plays harder than the toughest diamond, IMO.
Appleton has played both games and disagrees with you.Who knows?

Old
  (#27)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
Appleton has played both games and disagrees with you.Who knows?
Does he, mind sharing the article where he said that? If you remember off the top of your head that is.

Never thought of him as a snooker champion per say.

Not to say pool players can't beat snooker players and visa versa, the games are much different. There has been a few snooker players get spanked playing pool. I still think snooker is much harder than pool, by miles

Quote:
Jesus never existed. It is the longest running practical joke the Jews or anybody else has ever pulled.

Last edited by Snooker Theory; 02-16-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Old
  (#28)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

02-16-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
Does he, mind sharing the article where he said that? Never thought of him as a snooker champion per say
He said it on here i THINK- Are you a Snooker Champion? 'Per say' ? ahaha.

Old
  (#29)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member

02-16-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
He said it on here i THINK- Are you a Snooker Champion? 'Per say' ? ahaha.
Well Effren Reyes disagrees with you.

See what I did there, I mean I can just say any pro agrees with me and disagrees with you, then give no citation.

Then upon being asked for citation you respond with what you did.

What snooker championships has Darren won exactly? You have to have won snooker majors to comment right?

Quote:

Old
  (#30)
JessEm
AzB Silver Member
JessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2019, 08:29 AM

As the saying on the Tour goes... Why don't you two "put your chalk where your mouth is."

Page 2 of 7 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: