Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page On the Subject of Bangers.....
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
On the Subject of Bangers.....
Old
  (#1)
9 Ball Fan
Darth Maximus
9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

On the Subject of Bangers..... - 05-29-2019, 09:58 PM

Do you lump all Bangers together, or do you recognize different skill levels amongst Bangers? At what point do you consider someone to have made the jump from casual Banger, to serious Player?

Old
  (#2)
SlickRick_PCS
Pool, Snooker, Carom
SlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 Ball Fan View Post
Do you lump all Bangers together, or do you recognize different skill levels amongst Bangers? At what point do you consider someone to have made the jump from casual Banger, to serious Player?
After more than 20 years, you still haven't figured that out?

Let me just also add:
Old
  (#3)
SlickRick_PCS
Pool, Snooker, Carom
SlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond repute

Let me just also add: - 05-29-2019, 10:23 PM

Every time you post a thread like this, I die a little inside.

Old
  (#4)
SlickRick_PCS
Pool, Snooker, Carom

05-29-2019, 10:32 PM

So let me stroke my condescending ego a little bit, with REAL 20 years of billiard experience answer your question with few words:

"Do you lump all Bangers together, or do you recognize different skill levels amongst Bangers?"

Bangers are bangers... period. There's no ratings on them, they just bang balls without any thought.... and that just sounds gay.

"At what point do you consider someone to have made the jump from casual Banger, to serious Player?"

When the player can make shots with cue technique, but couldn't control whitey, then their shotmakers. If a shotmaker can control whitey, then they're players. When a player has committed passion to play for runs, then they're serious.

MIC... DROP....

Old
  (#5)
Balls
Big Brass Balls

Balls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick_PCS View Post
So let me stroke my condescending ego a little bit, with REAL 20 years of billiard experience answer your question with few words:

"At what point do you consider someone to have made the jump from casual Banger, to serious Player?"

When the player can make shots with cue technique, but couldn't control whitey, then their shotmakers. If a shotmaker can control whitey, then they're players. When a player has committed passion to play for runs, then they're serious.
MIC... DROP....
Th nk you. We w ll be r ght ba k thump thump, feedback sound, is th s wo ki g?

Supporting Olympic dreams since 2009

Old
  (#6)
9 Ball Fan
Darth Maximus
9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick_PCS View Post
After more than 20 years, you still haven't figured that out?
Well,....

I didn't offer up an opinion. I asked "you", in general of the forum membership. I thought maybe I could garner some nuggets of wisdom from the grey haired sages on this forum?

I am aware that Bangers is a condescending label applied to low skill pool players. You know, those people feeding quarters into barbox tables, all over America every weekend......helping to keep the retail industry afloat.

I've been participating on internet forums across a broad range of topics, for 17 1/2 years now; and this billiards forum adventure has been a unique experience amongst all the forums I've frequented. It's almost as though the old guard here doesn't want new members to post anything at all, unless they just chime in to say WOW, that sure was cool man!!! and polish someone's sack.

Do you really expect new members to sign up, get talked to like they're stupid for starting threads, lurk on here for a few years trying to earn some forum cred in silence somehow; and still want to be a part of it all?

Shit, this is.....a sure formula to kill off an internet forum.

This reply isn't solely directed toward your post, as much as it is several different posts on several different threads I've started or posted on. It's like from day one, it's just a constant effort to run a new member off.

Old
  (#7)
Push&Pool
Professional Banger
Push&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Well,....

I didn't offer up an opinion. I asked "you", in general of the forum membership. I thought maybe I could garner some nuggets of wisdom from the grey haired sages on this forum?

I am aware that Bangers is a condescending label applied to low skill pool players. You know, those people feeding quarters into barbox tables, all over America every weekend......helping to keep the retail industry afloat.

I've been participating on internet forums across a broad range of topics, for 17 1/2 years now; and this billiards forum adventure has been a unique experience amongst all the forums I've frequented. It's almost as though the old guard here doesn't want new members to post anything at all, unless they just chime in to say WOW, that sure was cool man!!! and polish someone's sack.

Do you really expect new members to sign up, get talked to like they're stupid for starting threads, lurk on here for a few years trying to earn some forum cred in silence somehow; and still want to be a part of it all?

This reply isn't solely directed toward your post, as much as it is several different posts on several different threads I've started or posted on. It's like from day one, it's just a constant effort to run a new member off.
I hear you... I've been called a troll since day one. You get used to it over time. But for me this forum is still interesting and entertaining, so they can't just run me off

Regarding your question about bangers, well, it depends on how exactly you define a banger. If a banger is someone who literally bangs balls around without any level of strategy, then there's not really a way to rank those. Sure, some of them can be more accurate than others, but that's about it.

In case you consider a banger to be someone with potentially decent shotmaking skills, who can choose their shots with actual sense, but with poor position play, then you can surely rank those. Not really in a formal way though. But an "experienced" banger of that type can in truth be a dangerous opponent if they're accurate enough and get somewhat lucky with position.

The third definition of bangers you can use would be casual pool players who primarily play on barboxes, usually by bar rules. These can vary in their skill and capabilities the most. In addition to becoming formidable shotmakers with enough experience, they can actually know a thing or two about position, and can have developed complex strategies, especially suited to the set of bar rules they play by. Some of them can also be considered "serious" pool players (sort of), despite being casuals, in a way that they play several times a week and are completely focused and dedicated to the game while playing. They also love pool and consider it a part of their lives, not just a random game they can play while drinking here and there. However, it should be noted that a number of those players are less like bangers and more like advanced players who would do well in a pool hall, but either can't find one in their area, or they prefer the atmosphere and company in a bar.

I support and respect any form of pool. But bar pool is my life

Old
  (#8)
jeephawk
AzB Gold Member
jeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 04:26 AM

Hormel vs. Jimmy Dean vs. grind your own and on and on --- sausages still a matter of taste. (Just don't want any folks from across the pond to feel excluded from a bangers discussion).

As for pool, I guess a "banger" is whatever someone thinks it is - seems like on here it's anywhere from any casual player all the way to a seemingly derogatory expression for folks that play in bars who don't "really" play to whatever standard someone else thinks it should be. Whatever.

I just "play pool" when I play so have friends and relatives all my life. Don't know or care what someone else's label is for that. All kinds of pool players from not so good to SVB - kind of like tennis or golf or softball or ping pong - just nice to see people playing anything at whatever level they enjoy playing.

Old
  (#9)
Klink
AzB Silver Member
Klink has a reputation beyond reputeKlink has a reputation beyond reputeKlink has a reputation beyond reputeKlink has a reputation beyond reputeKlink has a reputation beyond reputeKlink has a reputation beyond reputeKlink has a reputation beyond reputeKlink has a reputation beyond reputeKlink has a reputation beyond reputeKlink has a reputation beyond reputeKlink has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

05-30-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Well,....

I can see you understand why this forum is only a shadow of its former self.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old
  (#10)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-30-2019, 04:35 AM

How exactly are you going to put this new information into use? What will a detailed definition of an absolutely non-specific slang term do for you? It isn't that you are new and ask questions, it's the banal (Google it) nature of them that makes people wish so times you'd move on to ping pong or shuffleboard.

Old
  (#11)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-30-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeephawk View Post
Hormel vs. Jimmy Dean vs. grind your own and on and on --- sausages still a matter of taste. (Just don't want any folks from across the pond to feel excluded from a bangers discussion).

I always wondered if bangers are just any sausage, or is there a style or size that is outside of the definition.
Attached Images

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#12)
StraightPoolIU
Brent
StraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

05-30-2019, 05:12 AM

I like all kinds of bangers and they can come from different genres. Old Town Road by Lil Nas X. Definitely a banger, but so is Sweet Caroline. You just never know what's gonna move the crowd.

"No bar, no bowling alley, no pinball machines. Just pool. Nothin else."

Playing Cue: 2003 Pechauer P15
Break Cue: Joss Thor Hammer (purpleheart with ironwood rings)
Jump Cue: OB Lift
Current Tip: G2
Shaft: OB Pro Plus

Old
  (#13)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 05:25 AM

Banger are the foul police that dont know what apa and bca are
Always combative
Dont know a thing about competition play
All they know is the rules they heard there uncle say once when they were a kid that time at the bar
And have rule sets your supposed to already know that are tucked away in thier own minds and dont mention a thing till you crossed them

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#14)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Silver Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 05:32 AM

Bangers come in all skill levels. I know a guy who recently moved to a 7 that I’d consider a banger. If your 8 ball strategy includes this thought on a regular basis...”I’ll just shoot the ball I know I can make and come back for this F’d up one later” even if that tied up ball is second to last on the table...

The guy does win a a lot of matches, often enough with shutouts lol. It’s amazing to watch sometimes how he just depends on others missing and they oblige. He has pretty bad form, literally jumps forward when he breaks, and thinks bank shots are luck...yet he has made it to an APA 7. (He also claimed straight pool had no defense in it a brotha thought you just racked and broke like 8 ball but could shoot anything)

Then you’ve got the “bar pool” type bangers who range in skill all over but the real difference I think between “banger” and player is someone who works on their game with intent. If you’ve spent time perfecting your fundamentals, if you have practiced stepping into the shot line, stroke in a bottle, wagon wheels, MOAD or whatever then you’re probably not banger material. But that’s just like...my opinion man.

Old
  (#15)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Bangers are exactly that: BANGERS. 99.9999999999999999% of them have ZERO desire to get better. They like to knock balls around and if that trips their trigger, so be it. They are the POLAR opposite of a pool player, someone who actually wants to improve.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: