Old
  (#31)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-17-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Here is a post I had saved in my bookmarks of Fargoratings in 2015. Matt was a 687.

And I just looked up his rating, today, June 17 2019, and it is 677.

Infer from this what you want.
LOL. I bet nobody here expected someone to come along and produce such perfectly timed and detailed data! How dare you!

Dan White

Old
  (#32)
SpiderWebComm
Banned
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

06-17-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
To Spidey, I might be off 1 or 2 years, but I believe Matt was already an A player in about 2001. So he would have been better than you 15 years ago :P

He wouldn't be the first one.

As far as his pocketing ability diminishing due to age, he is not of that age yet. He is I believe about 35 years old. When I met him he was maybe 14, and already everyone knew he was going to be a very good player. So like almost every other player under the sun, he improved rapidly those first 2 to 5 years, and then leveled off. I probably saw him once or twice a week for 5 years straight as we all went to the same tournaments in Delaware and Philly around 2000 to 2005.

I think he might be of that age. Lets face it, most of the top guns worldwide are youngsters so to speak. Their eyes are sharp, their reflexes and stamina are better, greater focus, more apt to practice longer because it's all encompassing. After a certain age which can be different from one person to another as far as desire and priorities, other things in life missed out on because of pool become more important and time consuming. I know years ago both Corey Deuel and Johnny Archer got hooked on golf and things started going south. Earl did also.

My first post was a slight exaggeration that he plays the same now as when he was 14. To be more accurate, it should say "He plays almost the same now, as compared to the end of his initial ramp up to plateau speed, which occurred around 20 years of age".

See above.

I believe he learned Pro One about 5 years ago. Again I might be off a year or two. He has thanked Stan in every single FB post he has made when posting his tourney results. This one that was pasted in this thread by the OP was not anything special. Matt does that "every tournament", as he should, to give recognition to his sponsors and his coaches. Matt is a class act, for sure.

Glad to hear it. I guess social media being bigger than ever brought this one out to the forefront.

But the point of this whole debate, is has any of that made him a better player. I know when someone asks Matt, he does say he pockets the balls better and plays better as a result of Pro1. And maybe he believes that.

I take it you don't.

But what I am saying, is his pecking order in both the national, and local Philly scene, has not changed in 15 years. So do you believe a player's own words, or do you believe results?

If he was a boxer and his words were he's just as sharp as ever, but was going for naps in the middle of the ring during fights I'd be looking at results.

So tell me, what should he be changing in his aiming process? Go to contact point aiming? Pure multiple fractions? Ghost ball and patch? Why are YOU focusing so much on his choice of aiming? It's his life and choice.

As I said before, you can look up his tournament results for national level. For local Philly level, you MUST carefully inspect the player's list. Because 15 years ago there was 15 guys every single week Matt's speed or better playing, and full fields of 64. Today, he is one of 3 or 4 guys that speed.

Now even with Fargorate, you can potentially dive down even deeper to improvement or non-improvement over time.
Screw Fargorate and all the stats. I watched the US Open golf tournament yesterday just like millions of people across the world and Gary Woodland was so far down the list in certain stats that his chance of even making the 36 hole cut was slim to none. He WON.

Tell Matt to use some other aiming system and get another instructor. He can tell you himself what he thinks about the idea. I can't speak for him nor do I think you can.

Last edited by SpiderWebComm; 06-17-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Help is coming
Old
  (#33)
Imac007
AzB Silver Member
Imac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond repute

Help is coming - 06-17-2019, 12:44 PM

In fairness we now have to acknowledge and congratulate all those winners who won without using CTE.

In science we look at what works and to what degree. The data suggests that non-CTE players win more often than those who use CTE. Since proponents of CTE appear to be addicted, a support group is to be established. The recovery process is designed to get them back on the statistically winning side.

I understand that there will be a video and a book shortly explaining the steps. The exact number of steps will be explained in the book and for non-readers the videos will come without subtitles. You’ll have to figure out what the instructions really meant.

The program will eliminate the many sweeping changes often causing the confusion.

And congrats to all you straight shooters out there.

Old
  (#34)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Here is a post I had saved in my bookmarks of Fargoratings in 2015. Matt was a 687.

Attachment 522805

Attachment 522806

I would infer... a microphone has been dropped.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#35)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Attachment 522805

Attachment 522806

I've been in florida for 7 years. Matt was using CTE before that. I'd say he's been using CTE for at least 9 years.

Old
  (#36)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
LOL. I bet nobody here expected someone to come along and produce such perfectly timed and detailed data! How dare you!
Except Matt has been using CTE much longer then 4 years, so what does his data really say.

Old
  (#37)
SpiderWebComm
Banned
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

06-17-2019, 12:54 PM

I don't think coming in contact with EBOLA would be enough to slow down or put a stop to the anti-CTE old time whack jobs.

Now you also have the newbie attention seekers trying to get their name in the lights.
They just come out of the woodwork.

Glad to see five of the six all time greatest deviants making their presence felt with worthless posts today. Keep up the never ending good work.

EDIT: All 6 (SIX) have now made their unwanted presence felt. (I was starting to get worried)

Last edited by SpiderWebComm; 06-17-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Old
  (#38)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member

06-17-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
I would infer... a microphone has been dropped.

Lou Figueroa
You should have ducked Did it hurt your head much

Old
  (#39)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member

06-17-2019, 01:34 PM

How about CTE players that have beaten Earl Strickland. Yes Matt is on that list, along with Landon.

Old
  (#40)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-17-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie man View Post
I've been in florida for 7 years. Matt was using CTE before that. I'd say he's been using CTE for at least 9 years.
Quote:
...so what does his data really say.
That he was 700+ before he started using CTE?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#41)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member

06-17-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
That he was 700+ before he started using CTE?

pj
chgo
So what does the fargo rate of a lizard aimer look like

Old
  (#42)
bbb
AzB Silver Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-17-2019, 05:10 PM

Last edited by bbb; 06-18-2019 at 04:26 AM.

Old
  (#43)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

06-24-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderWebComm View Post
I don't think coming in contact with EBOLA would be enough to slow down or put a stop to the anti-CTE old time whack jobs.

Now you also have the newbie attention seekers trying to get their name in the lights.
They just come out of the woodwork.

Glad to see five of the six all time greatest deviants making their presence felt with worthless posts today. Keep up the never ending good work.

EDIT: All 6 (SIX) have now made their unwanted presence felt. (I was starting to get worried)
Am I the "newbie attention seeker"? ha ha. Serious question.

Old
  (#44)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

06-24-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Bullshit. !2 years or so ago Matt wasn't even winning good local amateur tournaments. Now he's winning pro-am's regularly.
Incorrect. Like I said, I've known him since he was 15 or so. He was a solid B player when I met him, and an A player by the time he was 17 or 18, 100%. I'm just a few years older than him. I think he's about 35 now. I'm 40 now.

If you don't believe me, you can see clear as day his "reported" tournament winnings here on AZ.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 9.24.21 PM.png
Views: 75
Size:  44.2 KB
Here is his first reported year on AZ, year 2000. He came in 9th place in in a decent Planet Pool tournament. Note, before this, we had the Tim Scruggs Tournemante for 2 or 3 years all in the Philly/NJ/DE area. Matt played in ALL of them, from like 1998 until they ended around the year 2000. None of those results are on AZ (too old I suppose), but I can assure you, Matt was coming in the money then.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 9.24.55 PM.png
Views: 72
Size:  71.9 KB
Next, we have this 2nd place finish in the year 2003, with a VERY strong field (see next pic)

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 9.25.27 PM.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  143.5 KB
This is that 2003 tournament and you can see the names he came ahead of. These guys were VERY strong players, with a few bonafide pro's at the time.

I didn't take a screenshot, but I opened up every single year of his tournaments reported on here from 2001 to today. (I would also follow his progress live every year from the brackets, because like I said he's a local player and I hope he does well). I looked for US Open in-the-money finishes. There was only one year, I think 2010 or so, where he came in the lowest dollar amount for cashing. All the other years he didn't cash. And I'm 90% certain he played in every single US Open going back at least 15 years from now.

Again, I have two main points:
1) He plays very close today compared to 15 years ago. You can see for yourself if you go though the AZ tournament history like I took a few screenshots of, and dig into the results to see the players lists.
2) He was a jam up local player (A speed), well before there was even an AZ Billiards or Pro1. His lessons with Stan did not make him into a good player. He already was a good player at least 10 years before ever meeting Stan!

Old
  (#45)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 08:56 PM

A while ago, I asked if any pros were using CTE. A kind member replied with a list of 4 or five pros who he said were using CTE and winning tournaments. When I had a few minutes, I did a search on AZB to see if I could find an earnings history on the fellows our kind member had listed. When I found that information, I decided to add up all the earnings for all of the players for all of the years they had played combined and then average out an across-the-board annual salary range.

I've been poor, so I know what poor looks like. It was really sad. No, I mean REALLY sad. Like poverty sad. Losers at Micky D's working 36 hours per week make a lot more than these guys, and the Micky D's guys can go home at night and sleep in their Mom's basement. Sorry, but the pros don't make enough money to fly around in a Lear. They probably sleep in their cars and eat greazy burgers at, uh, M..... D.s.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe it is noble for a young buck to follow his dreams. I know, everybody wants to be a rock star. But please, even Peter Pan knew he had to grow up.

Trust me, I'm not demeaning or disparaging any of these young warriors. I admire their pluck. But, and that's a big "but," I'm a realist. Back in the day, I knew pros (golfers) who tried to follow their dreams. Suitcases, broken down Chevy station wagons, and dirty clothes will take a toll on even the most stalwart lads. Reality is a tough, often cruel mistress.

I think it's nice for there to be a cohort of supportive cheerleaders and wannabees here at AZB, but to encourage a group of young impressionable players to forge on when their realistic chances of stardom are non-existent is unkind, and frankly, a little selfish. OK, a lot selfish

It would be nice if all of the energy invested in hero-worship here at AZB could be redirected and used to make each one of us better. It's odd, but the smaller amount of time I waste on trying to fix other people, the more time I have to make myself a better player, and hopefully a better person.

BOXCAR

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: