Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Australian senator slaps teen for cracking an egg on the back of his head
Page 11 of 12 « First 91011 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#151)
Alan
AzB Silver Member
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-24-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom haney View Post
If the Klan just threw one egg at blacks over the decades or Antifa only threw one egg in protest in recent years would either group be held in such bad light?

This "outrage" at me is a big yolk.
Hypothetical positions serve no purpose. We are talking about violence in response to words - - any violence.
Sure, in this case, it was "just an egg", but look what it got in return. A slap, then another slap. Most here support the first slap back and the second one is debatable. After the second slap, did the egg thrower have a right to "defend" himself? And that's how it starts and escalates. Surely you know that. Crossing the line between words and violence can only be justified when words aren't available. That, in itself, is a reason to support free speech and no violence.

Old
  (#152)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Hypothetical positions serve no purpose. We are talking about violence in response to words - - any violence.
Sure, in this case, it was "just an egg", but look what it got in return. A slap, then another slap. Most here support the first slap back and the second one is debatable. After the second slap, did the egg thrower have a right to "defend" himself? And that's how it starts and escalates. Surely you know that. Crossing the line between words and violence can only be justified when words aren't available. That, in itself, is a reason to support free speech and no violence.

One last comment and I'll let it go. I find it interesting that there is apparently more outrage on AZ over that kid throwing an egg and my egg comment than there is over some guy shooting almost 50 people and the Australian talking about everything but the shooter.
Feel free to analyze your violence observations any way you choose.
As for" free speech", I'm certainly getting a comeuppance on here for exercising an alternate opinion.

God bless each and every one of you

Old
  (#153)
memikey
Never Has Been
memikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-10-2019, 02:12 AM

For completeness and thread housekeeping …….......

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-...arges/10983548

Cliff notes.....pretty much as predicted by some......

1. Egg-boy will not be charged. He received a police caution.

2. Anning will face no charges.

3. The fearless hero who was filmed bravely kicking egg-boy several times after others already had him securely pinned to the ground has been traced and charged with assault. Personally tend to feel that the public humiliation of naming the cowardly kicker would have been enough punishment, but maybe police are aware he has 'previous' for assaults or summat.

Mike

Old
  (#154)
Alan
AzB Silver Member
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute

04-10-2019, 03:34 AM

I think this is exactly as you predicted it would go down. Good insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memikey View Post

3. The fearless hero who was filmed bravely kicking egg-boy several times after others already had him securely pinned to the ground has been traced and charged with assault. Personally tend to feel that the public humiliation of naming the cowardly kicker would have been enough punishment, but maybe police are aware he has 'previous' for assaults or summat.

Old
  (#155)
Smooth
AzB Silver Member
Smooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond repute

04-10-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:

the authorities must have thought that being known as Egg-boy for the rest of his life would be enough punishment

Old
  (#156)
memikey
Never Has Been
memikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
the authorities must have thought that being known as Egg-boy for the rest of his life would be enough punishment
Maybe, but in the meantime what has actually happened is that the public perception of egg-boy in that part of the world seems to so far be fine, and if anything on the up, especially after he donated to the Christchurch victims every cent raised by two members of the public who set up Go Fund Me pages to raise money for his anticipated legal fees.....

Quote:
"Finally!!! After a huge amount of red tape, $99,922.36 has today been transferred to the Christchurch Foundation and Victims Support.

For those of you who don’t know, there were 2 Go Fund Me pages set up to help cover the cost of my legal fees and to ‘buy more eggs’. Gratefully, Gordon Legal acted probono for me so I don’t have any legal fees.

I decided to donate all monies to help provide some relief to the victims of the massacre... it wasn’t mine to keep. I want to thank Corey and @sajjad12345 who set up the funds and every single person who donated to the money and made this possible. To the victims of the tragedy, I whole heartedly hope that this can bring some relief to you."
In the meantime, on the other side of the coin, Mr Anning, who was sitting in the Oz Senate as an Independent at the time of his controversial rhetoric and at the time of the egging incident, has been comprehensively voted out.of office by voters in the General Election.

Hopefully the sector of the voting population that Anning sought to be a spokesman for will in future have their views spoken up for by an elected representative who can express those views more thoughtfully and articulately (and thus more effectively) than he did. They deserve that much at least.

Mike

Old
  (#157)
Slide Rule
NPR Commies Garbage Skum
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2019, 03:31 AM

So if someone comes up behind you and is swinging at your head
is a shot a good shoot? By the target or his protection unit?

Inquiring minds.

Interested in moderating egg madness and copycats of
assault and battery.

Old
  (#158)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Maybe, but in the meantime what has actually happened is that the public perception of egg-boy in that part of the world seems to so far be fine, and if anything on the up, especially after he donated to the Christchurch victims every cent raised by two members of the public who set up Go Fund Me pages to raise money for his anticipated legal fees.....

In the meantime, on the other side of the coin, Mr Anning, who was sitting in the Oz Senate as an Independent at the time of his controversial rhetoric and at the time of the egging incident, has been comprehensively voted out.of office by voters in the General Election.

Hopefully the sector of the voting population that Anning sought to be a spokesman for will in future have their views spoken up for by an elected representative who can express those views more thoughtfully and articulately (and thus more effectively) than he did. They deserve that much at least.
Bad optics will do that.
However it does not change the fact that Anning was assaulted.
It is interesting how many excuses people made to crowbar around that fact.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm just a flea along for the ride... ---366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

If our answers scare you, maybe you should stop asking frightening questions.---ChicagoRJ

Old
  (#159)
memikey
Never Has Been

06-18-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide Rule View Post

So if someone comes up behind you and is swinging at your head
is a shot a good shoot? By the target or his protection unit?

Inquiring minds.

Interested in moderating egg madness and copycats of
assault and battery.
Judging by the level of ability to be objectively consistent displayed on here by quite a few members, I'd guess for them the answer would usually be yes it's a good shoot if the person being swung at is a right winger and no it's a bad shoot if the person being swung at is a left winger.....or vice-versa, depending on which school of obsessive blinkered dogma each of those members subscribe to.

For everyone else on here I'd guess their judgement of whether it is a good or a bad shoot would be mainly governed by consideration of the circumstances of each individual incident and would completely disregard the politics of the person being swung at.

I doubt if anyone wholly rational would ever answer always 'yes' or always 'no' to such a vaguely defined question as the one you introduce.

Moderation/reduction of incidences of throwing eggs (or anything else) at any politician is to my mind a desirable goal. The practice seems to have been around for a very long time.

To my mind egging is no more valid a way to protest against a politician's views or actions today than it was decades ago or at any time in between. There's a ballot box and the beautiful English language available to make such protests far more eloquently. It seems that many thousands more citizens actually chose the ballot box method than the one individual who chose the egging method in this instance. So that's something at least.

Mike

Old
  (#160)
memikey
Never Has Been

06-18-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Bad optics will do that.
However it does not change the fact that Anning was assaulted.
It is interesting how many excuses people made to crowbar around that fact.
Has there been a fire sale of strawmen?

Obviously it doesn't change the fact that Anning was assaulted. Who do you think imagines it does change that?

Mike

Old
  (#161)
Sev
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Has there been a fire sale of strawmen?

Obviously it doesn't change the fact that Anning was assaulted. Who do you think imagines it does change that?
Some people tried to change the narrative to child abuse he turned and defended himself.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

If our answers scare you, maybe you should stop asking frightening questions.---ChicagoRJ

Old
  (#162)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:

Old
  (#163)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member

06-18-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Some people tried to change the narrative to child abuse he turned and defended himself.
I was simply interested in the degree of outrage over the indifference of the 50 deaths and the egg assault. And the outrage at my interest.

Old
  (#164)
memikey
Never Has Been

06-18-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Sorry Sev but though that's true it makes no sense as an answer to what I asked you

You quoted a post from me and said.....

"Bad optics will do that.
However it does not change the fact that Anning was assaulted"

What was the 'that' in my post you quoted when you wrote the first sentence above......were you referring to him not being elected ie that bad optics caused that?

If 'yes' were you not then referring in the second sentence above to him not being elected being something which "does not change the fact that Anning was assaulted"?

That's why I asked you who you think believes that him not being elected changes the fact that Anning was assaulted. Obviously it doesn't change that and obviously no-one thinks it does. Anyone who thinks Anning wasn't assaulted already thought so long before he failed to get elected.

Same page now?

Mike

Old
  (#165)
Sev

06-18-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Sorry Sev but though that's true it makes no sense as an answer to what I asked you

You quoted a post from me and said.....

"Bad optics will do that.
However it does not change the fact that Anning was assaulted"

What was the 'that' in my post you quoted when you wrote the first sentence above......were you referring to him not being elected ie that bad optics caused that?

If 'yes' were you not then referring in the second sentence above to him not being elected being something which "does not change the fact that Anning was assaulted"?

That's why I asked you who you think believes that him not being elected changes the fact that Anning was assaulted. Obviously it doesn't change that and obviously no-one thinks it does. Anyone who thinks Anning wasn't assaulted already thought so long before he failed to get elected.

Same page now?
Glad you finally caught up.
You are getting slow Mike.

On a more serious note.

How are you holding up?
How is the healing process coming along?

COVFEFE!!

Page 11 of 12 « First 91011 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: