Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Measles Ball. Do you like it?
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Measles?
I've played with it for MORE than 10 hours and I still do NOT like it. 39 16.39%
I've played with it for MORE than 10 hours and I DO like it. 147 61.76%
I've played with it for LESS than 10 hours and I do NOT like it. 11 4.62%
I've played with it for LESS than 10 hours and I DO like it. 7 2.94%
No preference. I don't care either way. 33 13.87%
Other (please comment) 1 0.42%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Measles Ball. Do you like it?
Old
  (#1)
Cuebacca
________
Cuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

Measles Ball. Do you like it? - 03-06-2009, 11:45 AM

Aramith Pro Cup Cue Ball AKA Measles Ball. Just wondering what most AZ'ers think about it.

It seems to grow on people which was why I split the categories into over and under 10 hours of play.

If you feel that it plays different from the ball you prefer, please try to disregard that and only vote based on how you feel about having the dots on there.

Old
  (#2)
Brozif
AzB Gold Member
Brozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-06-2009, 11:55 AM

This ball was created with TV in mind. It's simple for anyone that does not understand pool to see how the ball spins. I don't mind it, but I still prefer the red circle!!

Last edited by Brozif; 03-06-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Old
  (#3)
Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom
Tom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1140

03-06-2009, 12:11 PM

We've been using the Pro-Cup ball for 3 years for all our Monthly Jamborees. Our One Pocket players like it very much and only a few 9 Ball players have complained and that has virtually stopped in the last 2 years.

Most of the better players say that the pro cup ball lets them let out their stroke. The pro cup also collides with the object balls better than the old red circle cue balls. Those red circle balls BOUNCED of the object ball.

It is here to stay at Hard Times, at least for the time being.

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." From Jennifer

Just remember all posts are, of course... In My Humble Opinion
Age= Been Playing since I was 17... 53 years ago
Cue = Pete Ohmen (Melbourne, FL) www.omencues.com
Hours of Play per week = 8+

Old
  (#4)
Rob_jerrylee
Bustamante's # 1 fan
Rob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond reputeRob_jerrylee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-06-2009, 12:15 PM

I've got two of them , I bought the first one when I first started playing and then when I got my new table I bought the Aramith TV Balls , at my local bar we have free pool tuesdays and every now and then I'll bring it with me and I'll get a few comments here and there when people like it or dislike it .

Old
  (#5)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

03-06-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebacca View Post
If you feel that it plays different from the ball you prefer, please try to disregard that and only vote based on how you feel about having the dots on there.
This gives the poll an entirely different dimension that how I originally interpreted the poll question.

I love having the dots on the ball. It's great for instructional purposes, and it's also mesmerizing to watch that baby spin.

But from my experience, my measles ball definitely plays "heavier" and "more sluggish" than my red circle CB. I definitely prefer the red circle CB over the measles ball in terms of playability and feel.

voted too quick
Old
  (#6)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

voted too quick - 03-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Aramith Pro Cup Cue Ball AKA Measles Ball. Just wondering what most AZ'ers think about it.

It seems to grow on people which was why I split the categories into over and under 10 hours of play.

I read the poll and voted that I didn't like it after way over ten hours and then read your post. I have absolutely no problem with the appearance of the measle ball. My problem is that it rolls enough further than the balls I usually compete with(red circle) that it fouls up my position play. A minor whine but another source of unhappiness after paying thirty dollars for a cue ball is that it has pecks all over it, many from after I quit using it when breaking.

Hu

Old
  (#7)
Boro Nut
Moderrator
Boro Nut has a reputation beyond reputeBoro Nut has a reputation beyond reputeBoro Nut has a reputation beyond reputeBoro Nut has a reputation beyond reputeBoro Nut has a reputation beyond reputeBoro Nut has a reputation beyond reputeBoro Nut has a reputation beyond reputeBoro Nut has a reputation beyond reputeBoro Nut has a reputation beyond reputeBoro Nut has a reputation beyond reputeBoro Nut has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Measles Ball. Do you like it?
It doesn't bother me. I've a stroke like an MMR jab.

Boro Nut

Old
  (#8)
Cuebacca
________
Cuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

03-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Sorry for not making the question more clear. The reason I wanted to know just based on the appearance of the ball is because I thought Saluc claimed that it should play the same as one of their other cue balls (I forgot which one). I could be wrong about that though.

The argument for perceived differences are that a ball will wear over time and lose mass. I remember there have been lots of threads about that but can't quite recall the conclusion of whatever studies there were.

Anyhow, if you answered based on how it plays, no worries. That's more important than the looks anyway.

Last edited by Cuebacca; 03-06-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Old
  (#9)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

03-06-2009, 12:42 PM

It's too freakin' slow.
It's not that slow on tv b/c they have new cloth and tv lights.
Funny enough, I weighed it compared to the centennial cue ball.
Same weight, different color.

But, the measle plays much much slower. Tougher to spin or draw.

Saluc should have just put dots on the Centennial cueball.
I don't believe for a minute they are of the same formulation.

Old
  (#10)
crawfish
AzB Silver Member
crawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Absolutely hate that heavy bastard. Bash on....

"Yeah, they all have a gameplan 'til I hit'em in the face."

And I'm Still Sportin' McLovin

Old
  (#11)
Gerry
AzB Silver Member
Gerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2009, 02:47 PM

I like the spotted ball until I play 1 pocket.....you can have NO secrets with that thing!

No short term memory and no expectation!=Dead stroke!

Old
  (#12)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

03-06-2009, 03:19 PM

I like the measles cue ball in pool, but I absolutely love it in 3-cushion billiards.

Old
  (#13)
Eruditass
AzB Silver Member
Eruditass has a reputation beyond reputeEruditass has a reputation beyond reputeEruditass has a reputation beyond reputeEruditass has a reputation beyond reputeEruditass has a reputation beyond reputeEruditass has a reputation beyond reputeEruditass has a reputation beyond reputeEruditass has a reputation beyond reputeEruditass has a reputation beyond reputeEruditass has a reputation beyond reputeEruditass has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2009, 03:35 PM

i like the look but why can't they make it the same weight??

clear layer?
Old
  (#14)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

clear layer? - 03-06-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
It's too freakin' slow.
It's not that slow on tv b/c they have new cloth and tv lights.
Funny enough, I weighed it compared to the centennial cue ball.
Same weight, different color.

But, the measle plays much much slower. Tougher to spin or draw.

Saluc should have just put dots on the Centennial cueball.
I don't believe for a minute they are of the same formulation.

Joey,

Seems like they may have a clear layer as the top coating. I don't know the process making them and the regular cue balls but the slightest difference in the curing process could result in the amount of difference I see in play. The formulation may be different, the cure may be different, I don't care. I have enough trouble with speed control on Diamonds in high humidity without adding in cue balls that roll differently.

Hu

Old
  (#15)
14oneman
Straight, no chaser!
14oneman has a reputation beyond repute14oneman has a reputation beyond repute14oneman has a reputation beyond repute14oneman has a reputation beyond repute14oneman has a reputation beyond repute14oneman has a reputation beyond repute14oneman has a reputation beyond repute14oneman has a reputation beyond repute14oneman has a reputation beyond repute14oneman has a reputation beyond repute14oneman has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2009, 06:06 PM

I like the Brunswick Centennial cue ball MUCH better.

"Every time Fats opened his mouth I made money".-Willie Mosconi

Main cue for 14.1: Bill Schick. One-of-a-kind.
Cues for OTHER games: Lucasi L-E28, J&J B/J
Case: Jack Justis custom-3 butt, 6 shaft

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Tags
measles

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: