Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page What happened to ringtail wraps?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
What happened to ringtail wraps?
Old
  (#1)
PhilosopherKing
AzB Silver Member
PhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

What happened to ringtail wraps? - 03-11-2019, 11:52 AM

You don't really see them anymore. For awhile, all the big cues seemed to have them. Have they gone out of style?

Old
  (#2)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-11-2019, 12:10 PM

They went extinct?

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#3)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

03-11-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
They went extinct?
I think they're only endangered in some habitats.

Name:  CropperCapture[264].jpg
Views: 522
Size:  50.5 KB

I remember those wraps. I think most of them were nylon or rayon, the two worst materials to use for a wrap after axle grease. Unless you mean an authentic Ring-tailed Cat wrap, but the damned whale huggers stopped that stuff.

Old
  (#4)
PhilosopherKing
AzB Silver Member
PhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond repute

03-11-2019, 01:10 PM

I'm talking about the black and white lizard wraps.

They seem to be openly sold online, but you don't even see older cues with them still installed.

Are people hacking them off?

Personally, I don't care for them, but cue fads interest me, and I'm wondering if burl is here to stay.

Hereís My Take........
Old
  (#5)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

Hereís My Take........ - 03-11-2019, 01:28 PM

RTL wraps more likely fell out of style and I donít really recall a time when they became a craze or fad
for what you refer to as big cues. If that means top notch names like Ginacue, Manzino, Szamboti,
Scruggs, Wayne, Hercek, etc. and the list of top name cue-makers is by no means a short list, my
recollection is they didnít use RTL wraps often. Iím tempted to write they hardly used it but I donít know
that to be true. However, not sayiní the great names didnít use RTL but I just donít recall seeing many
Szams etc with it as the wrap. RTL wraps can make a ho-hum design look much better but IMO, they
distract and take away from the really handsome cue designs. And snakeskin wraps are the same way.

Nonetheless, every cue design ultimately comes down to beauty being in the eye of the beholder. And
a wrap is a backdrop to the design, not the center piece. it should never distract but rather compliment
the cueís design. I have never seen any top notch cue-maker produce a great design (IMO) that used
RTL or Snakeskin for the cue wrap. Sometimes a cue-owner might change it later on but like I earlier
acknowledged, what one person finds handsome another person might care for very much, if at all.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#6)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
03-11-2019, 01:32 PM

I always thought they looked like something you wouldn't even want to step in.

Grease or shit...infer whatchu will.

Old
  (#7)
PhilosopherKing
AzB Silver Member

03-11-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
RTL wraps more likely fell out of style and I don’t really recall a time when they became a craze or fad
for what you refer to as big cues. If that means top notch names like Ginacue, Manzino, Szamboti,
Scruggs, Wayne, Hercek, etc. and the list of top name cue-makers is by no means a short list, my
recollection is they didn’t use RTL wraps often. I’m tempted to write they hardly used it but I don’t know
that to be true. However, not sayin’ the great names didn’t use RTL but I just don’t recall seeing many
Szams etc with it as the wrap. RTL wraps can make a ho-hum design look much better but IMO, they
distract and take away from the really handsome cue designs. And snakeskin wraps are the same way.

Nonetheless, every cue design ultimately comes down to beauty being in the eye of the beholder. And
a wrap is a backdrop to the design, not the center piece. it should never distract but rather compliment
the cue’s design. I have never seen any top notch cue-maker produce a great design (IMO) that used
RTL or Snakeskin for the cue wrap. Sometimes a cue-owner might change it later on but like I earlier
acknowledged, what one person finds handsome another person might care for very much, if at all.
I'm convinced that it happened... They were on a lot of the ivory-heavy tuxedo cues and cues where makers were trying to push their limits or be experimental... The Lambros "Dragon" cue immediately comes to mind.

They became a favorite of flippers who would slap them on anything to maximize desirability, and it seemed to work.

Then, they were gone.

Last edited by PhilosopherKing; 03-11-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Old
  (#8)
PRED
AzB Silver Member
PRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

03-11-2019, 02:21 PM

They went out the door along with Ivory. The Tuxedo look fails when the white is not Ivory

IRATUS VULGUS

Old
  (#9)
PhilosopherKing
AzB Silver Member

03-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRED View Post
They went out the door along with Ivory. The Tuxedo look fails when the white is not Ivory
This makes sense, but where are all the old cues that used them?

I just don't see them anymore.

Old
  (#10)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

03-11-2019, 06:16 PM

In my earlier post, i wasnít implying that it didnít happen but rather that it wasnít a big fad with the top
names in cue-making. How many tuxedo versions were made by the top names? And then how many
of those used lizard as a wrap? Obviously itís a much smaller number than the answer to the 1st question.

There are bound to be some but I still submit my gut is right about it being infrequently used by the really
great names in cue-making and of course, the cue owners that elected to replace the orig. wrap with RTL.
I donít attend national cue exhibitions so Iíll defer to what other Azers actually know about this subject.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#11)
Robert58
AzB Gold Member
Robert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond repute

03-11-2019, 07:02 PM

Just going by the number of Lizard Boots I have had and thrown away because they don't last. I would think that the natural Ring Tail Lizard wrap wouldn't last very long on a cue that was played every day. So they probably were replaced with something more durable.

Old
  (#12)
jimmyco
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

03-11-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert58 View Post
Just going by the number of Lizard Boots I have had and thrown away because they don't last. I would think that the natural Ring Tail Lizard wrap wouldn't last very long on a cue that was played every day. So they probably were replaced with something more durable.
My thoughts and experience as well..

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

What happened to ringtail wraps?
Old
  (#13)
Tommy-D
World's best B player...
Tommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to ringtail wraps? - 03-12-2019, 01:02 AM

A buddy of mine had a wrap like that installed by the late Alex Brick.

That particular wrap,which was very well installed,felt like an offbrand,cheesy basketball when finished. As recently as 2 years ago,it had not improved much with use either.

I did see some early videos with Jeff Ignacio playing and breaking with a couple different ebony plain janes with that wrap on them though. Tommy D.

"I'm going to try to work it out so at the end its a pure guts race.............because if it is..............I'm the only one that can win." Steve Prefontaine

Old
  (#14)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2019, 03:19 AM

Part of the problem with Ringtail and Teju also. The skins are being processed by pocket book factories. To stiff, not soft like they use to be. It's hit or miss and discouraging.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Old
  (#15)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRED View Post

Like everything else. That depends on who's opinion. Lol

Name:  IMG_1874.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  101.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1875.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  100.1 KB
Name:  IMG_1872~2.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  76.9 KB

Best Wishes
Michael Webb