Reload this Page New Found Hobby....Pen Turning
Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
New Found Hobby....Pen Turning
Old
  (#1)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale
Allen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

New Found Hobby....Pen Turning - 02-28-2014, 07:03 PM

This is something that my neighbor and I have gotten into here lately. These are the first two that have been completed. He did the walnut and I did the lighter wood. I think mine was some kind of maple. These were hit with some micro mesh and finished with super glue. There will be a lot of experimenting.

Turning wood is a major stress reliever for me and it puts me at ease.

I'd like to give a shout out to Bishop and thank him for pointing me in the direction of suppliers and all of his help along the way.
Attached Images

Old
  (#2)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale
Allen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond repute

02-28-2014, 07:08 PM

Another pic from IPad.
Attached Images

Old
  (#3)
duckie
GregH
duckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-28-2014, 08:46 PM

Nice work. Cool thing is there are a lot of things besides pens that can be turn.

I thought about doing pens and such but the initial cost set up stopped me then. Instead I started doing knife handles and sharpening. Still may get into turning some day.

Check this site out for some really nice wood. I got the bog oak and some figured walnut from them and they are really nice.

http://www.burlsource.us/servlet/StoreFront

it's a zen thing.......

Old
  (#4)
Bishop
AzB Silver Member
Bishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond repute

02-28-2014, 09:00 PM

Great start Allen. Lots of room for experimentation in this hobby. I predict plenty of stress relief in your future.

Old
  (#5)
duckie
GregH
duckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond repute

02-28-2014, 10:00 PM

I have found that the concentration, having to pay attention to detail and technique have carried over into my pool shooting.

Kinda like samurai warriors also having great skills in flower arranging, poetry, music and so on.

Old
  (#6)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

02-28-2014, 10:35 PM

Nice job Buddy. Other than 3 cue lathes in the basement shop. I have a small wood lathe.

I haven't got a pen arbor or any of the rest of the goodies but planning on it soon.

I had a huge wood lathe in the shop at one time but it took up too much space.

And you're right, turning wood is very relaxing. On a small lathe, you can turn honey dippers, small bowls and a ton of other projects.

UTube has a ton of turning vids.

Pens make extra money at Christmas time or great stocking stuffers for friends and family. Find a couple of craft sales and you will run out of pens in no time.

The average small hobby lathe will have at least 12" between centers so that leaves you with lots of little projects that you can do.

BTW, get some carnuba wax or turners wax and give those pens a nice buff. They will sparkle for you.

Make matching pencil sets as well. You can get very cheap presentation boxes and felt bags for them.

To play Pool, is to suffer.
To learn to be a better player, is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Dhurka, Dhurka, Allah, Muhammad Jihad

Last edited by Blue Hog ridr; 02-28-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Old
  (#7)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

02-28-2014, 11:33 PM

How about a pen tapered like a pool cue, with a Hoppe butt plate?

pt..<..interested customer

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#8)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale

03-01-2014, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hog ridr View Post
Nice job Buddy. Other than 3 cue lathes in the basement shop. I have a small wood lathe.

I haven't got a pen arbor or any of the rest of the goodies but planning on it soon.

I had a huge wood lathe in the shop at one time but it took up too much space.

And you're right, turning wood is very relaxing. On a small lathe, you can turn honey dippers, small bowls and a ton of other projects.

UTube has a ton of turning vids.

Pens make extra money at Christmas time or great stocking stuffers for friends and family. Find a couple of craft sales and you will run out of pens in no time.

The average small hobby lathe will have at least 12" between centers so that leaves you with lots of little projects that you can do.

BTW, get some carnuba wax or turners wax and give those pens a nice buff. They will sparkle for you.

Make matching pencil sets as well. You can get very cheap presentation boxes and felt bags for them.
I bought some turners wax, but decided to wait on using it on the first ones. We are turning these on a Shop Smith. Its an old one but still works good. We also turn bowls and what not on it.

Im only out about 200 bucks so far. Ive got some more wood ordered and more pen kits. Ill also try the pencils like you mentioned.

Old
  (#9)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

03-01-2014, 04:00 AM

I had this huge lathe, 42 inches between centers if I remember. I was turning projects that only needed 12 inches or less anyway for the most part.

Unless I went into business turning stair newels, I didn't need all that space.

I live in Canada so got a lathe from Canadian Tire. Mastercraft. Doesn't matter as it is a Chinese lathe anyway and can be had anywhere else for cheaper.

Just had a Mastercraft plate on it.

$125.

At Christmas time, if you advertise pen and pencil sets in a nice velvet case, you should sell out quick.

Jimmy Baxter used to make fancy canes on his cue lathe. Almost as good a biz as making cues.

What size chisels are you using? I have the chisels for big projects but they wouldn't be great for pens. I would like to get a set of smaller ones.

To play Pool, is to suffer.
To learn to be a better player, is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Dhurka, Dhurka, Allah, Muhammad Jihad

Old
  (#10)
Jim Baxter
AzB Silver Member

Jim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2700

03-01-2014, 09:33 AM

I also make pens , have a couple hundred kits , and no time . I was building pens before canes and cues , even before j/ps . I also build worm bins to recycle garbage and junk mail . I have shipped the worm bins all over the world . A lady in Germany wanted nice wood , she said she was going to put it at the end of her couch . I use all ceder .

Custom Joint Protectors for Sale

Contact info Ph. 253-226-0932 Never text me ................ Email jbaxte@earthlink.net

Old
  (#11)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

03-01-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I had this huge lathe, 42 inches between centers if I remember. I was turning projects that only needed 12 inches or less anyway for the most part.
An old machinist once told me "you can do small work on a big machine, but you can't do big work on a small machine".

We missed you in Edmonton last weekend my friend.

Dave

Can't fix stupid, you're on your own.

Old
  (#12)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!
LWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond repute

03-01-2014, 09:58 AM

Has anyone done a pool cue look pen?

"I can't stand you (LWW). You're one of the worst people I've ever known...You can rot in hell you pathetic loser."
-Bishop-

"Whether or not its a lie is irrelevant."
-Bishop-

"I have better things to do than worry about fact checking whats being published ..."
-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

"I have high hopes that you (LWW) and your sympathizers will be led to the gallows."
-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#13)
Bishop
AzB Silver Member
Bishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond repute

03-01-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Brown View Post
I bought some turners wax, but decided to wait on using it on the first ones. We are turning these on a Shop Smith. Its an old one but still works good. We also turn bowls and what not on it.

Im only out about 200 bucks so far. Ive got some more wood ordered and more pen kits. Ill also try the pencils like you mentioned.
If you get a chance Allen I want you to try Wood Turners Finish. Between that and the occasional Minwax poly, Wood Turners is all I use.

I think you'll like it for a few reasons.

One being its relatively odorless which is nice when you start turning out bigger orders. I'm working on a 40 pen order right now and there's no way I could get through it using glue.

Cost effective. 8oz for 12 bucks and it goes a very long way.

You have a lot of options with finishing. If you want a more open grain, natural look, just apply a few coats. Deck it down with your micro mesh and apply a few more then polish. However if you want a full finish glass-like look just apply layer after layer and you can build a finish.

I have a very particular process I use for building a glass like finish I can share with you if you end up wanting to try it out.

Old
  (#14)
Bishop
AzB Silver Member

03-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWW View Post
Has anyone done a pool cue look pen?
You've seen some that I've made. My earlier ones were more styled like a cue. Where some of the hardware was replaced with white phenolic and another with invorine, like a ferrule. I even added a tip on one.

The reason why I started making them less like a cue is the majority of people were wanting something identified as a pool cue but professional enough in likeness to take to work.

Old
  (#15)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale

03-01-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Unless I went into business turning stair newels, I didn't need all that space.

I live in Canada so got a lathe from Canadian Tire. Mastercraft. Doesn't matter as it is a Chinese lathe anyway and can be had anywhere else for cheaper.

Just had a Mastercraft plate on it.

$125.

At Christmas time, if you advertise pen and pencil sets in a nice velvet case, you should sell out quick.

Jimmy Baxter used to make fancy canes on his cue lathe. Almost as good a biz as making cues.

What size chisels are you using? I have the chisels for big projects but they wouldn't be great for pens. I would like to get a set of smaller ones.
I've got two sets of the bigger chisels. They work fine as long as they are sharp. It does look like overkill with the 5 inches of wood I'm turning....lol. I need to buy a smaller set of chisels too. I might do that today.

Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: