Reload this Page The break in the US Open
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
The break in the US Open
Old
  (#1)
AG_DeadPool
AzB Bronze Member
AG_DeadPool has a reputation beyond reputeAG_DeadPool has a reputation beyond reputeAG_DeadPool has a reputation beyond reputeAG_DeadPool has a reputation beyond reputeAG_DeadPool has a reputation beyond reputeAG_DeadPool has a reputation beyond reputeAG_DeadPool has a reputation beyond reputeAG_DeadPool has a reputation beyond reputeAG_DeadPool has a reputation beyond reputeAG_DeadPool has a reputation beyond reputeAG_DeadPool has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

The break in the US Open - 04-21-2019, 08:56 PM

What do you guys feel about the break in the US Open? The rules are 9 ball on the spot they are using the US Open magic rack and they are not allowed to view the rack when the ref racks the balls. I made a video with my thoughts but basically so far I love the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeqPfluGt2Y

Last edited by AG_DeadPool; 04-21-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Old
  (#2)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

04-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG_DeadPool View Post
What do you guys feel about the break in the US Open? The rules are 9 ball on the spot they are using the US Open magic rack and they are not allowed to view the rack when the ref racks the balls. I made a video with my thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeqPfluGt2Y
I believe that when a rack is used by the referee, the breaker is permitted to inspect the rack, but when the referee uses a template, it seems, the rule is different. Definitely saves time, and with the aggressive schedule, I'd have to say I favor it.

I believe that in the knockout round, an actual rack will be used by the referee, which will allow players to inspect the rack. That's customary in Matchroom events.

Old
  (#3)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

04-21-2019, 10:00 PM

I wish ALL events would use the following rules:

A template is used every game from now on....period!

Ref racks every game........period!

Breaker can "examine" the rack for 30 seconds but, if they touch it....they lose that game....period!

After the 30 second window for rack inspection has pass, the breaker has 15 seconds to break or they lose that game....period!

Breaker CANNOT ask for a rerack.....period!

If 9 ball......9 on spot and break from box with 3 point rule period!

If 10 ball, breaker must break from outside the box with 3 point rule...period!

WINNER BREAKS period!

When using a template and letting the ref rack and having winner break, the game is WWWAAAYYY more exciting.

The rules I suggest are gonna lean towards the better breaker....obviously but, there wouldn't be any cheating, arguing about rack mechanics, nor would it be any big "packs" on more than a "VERY RARE" occasion.....but....when we did see a "pack"....lol....it would be a WELL DESERVED victory due to the difficulty factor being raised.

One ball on the spot with templates are NOTHING more than a drill that becomes way to easy for a good shortstop, much less a pro.

Don't let your bark be bigger than your stroke.

If I had plenty of money, I would probably lose more often.

Old
  (#4)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute

04-22-2019, 05:17 AM

I think with the current rule...COMMA!...this is the best setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#5)
ceebee
AzB Silver Member
ceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Skype™ to ceebee 
04-22-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
I wish ALL events would use the following rules:

A template is used every game from now on....period!

Ref racks every game........period!

Breaker can "examine" the rack for 30 seconds but, if they touch it....they lose that game....period!

After the 30 second window for rack inspection has pass, the breaker has 15 seconds to break or they lose that game....period!

Breaker CANNOT ask for a rerack.....period!

If 9 ball......9 on spot and break from box with 3 point rule period!

If 10 ball, breaker must break from outside the box with 3 point rule...period!

WINNER BREAKS period!

When using a template and letting the ref rack and having winner break, the game is WWWAAAYYY more exciting.

The rules I suggest are gonna lean towards the better breaker....obviously but, there wouldn't be any cheating, arguing about rack mechanics, nor would it be any big "packs" on more than a "VERY RARE" occasion.....but....when we did see a "pack"....lol....it would be a WELL DESERVED victory due to the difficulty factor being raised.

One ball on the spot with templates are NOTHING more than a drill that becomes way to easy for a good shortstop, much less a pro.
Wow, this will be fun to watch. The players that don't warm up for this tournament by Practicing the Break Shot, will go away shaking their heads. I wonder if AT LARGE is gonna work up the stats for this Tournament. His stats generally show the Best Breaker winning the tournaments. Let's git R Goin'... I like Winner Breaks...

ceebee
USMC- Ret.
www.breakrak.com
918-543-6600
SKYPE charley.bond.inola
Every game Starts with the Break Shot

Old
  (#6)
sjm
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

04-22-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebee View Post
Wow, this will be fun to watch. The players that don't warm up for this tournament by Practicing the Break Shot, will go away shaking their heads. I wonder if AT LARGE is gonna work up the stats for this Tournament. His stats generally show the Best Breaker winning the tournaments. Let's git R Goin'... I like Winner Breaks...
Winner breaks and a neutral racker proved a winning formula at October's International 9-ball event in which Pat Fleming hit the ground running.

We already know that this format works, and we can count ourselves fortunate that it will be in use.

Old
  (#7)
poolnut7879
AzB Silver Member
poolnut7879 has a reputation beyond reputepoolnut7879 has a reputation beyond reputepoolnut7879 has a reputation beyond reputepoolnut7879 has a reputation beyond reputepoolnut7879 has a reputation beyond reputepoolnut7879 has a reputation beyond reputepoolnut7879 has a reputation beyond reputepoolnut7879 has a reputation beyond reputepoolnut7879 has a reputation beyond reputepoolnut7879 has a reputation beyond reputepoolnut7879 has a reputation beyond repute

04-22-2019, 09:49 AM

Sounds crazy but I have an idea. Take two neutral balls and place them 1 diamond up and 1 diamond over where the balls are racked. They would basically block and prevent the wing balls from flying in and create more randomness. After the break simply take them off the table and play resumes from there.

Old
  (#8)
JessEm
AzB Silver Member
JessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond repute

04-22-2019, 10:04 AM

Like the rules.

Not inspecting the rack keeps things moving along.

I'm a big SVB fan. I'm sure he doesn't particularly care for the rule, being the consummate student of the rack that he is, and the small edge it probably gives him. However, I still agree with it.

Tad Lofstrom custom
Samsara Jump/Break
vintage Brunswick by Schmelke

Old
  (#9)
sjm

04-22-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessEm View Post
Like the rules.

Not inspecting the rack keeps things moving along.

I'm a big SVB fan. I'm sure he doesn't particularly care for the rule, being the consummate student of the rack that he is, and the small edge it probably gives him. However, I still agree with it.
Fear not. Shane has won the Matchroom World Pool Masters (twice, I think) with neutral racker.

Old
  (#10)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

04-22-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Fear not. Shane has won the Matchroom World Pool Masters (twice, I think) with neutral racker.
True, but, I like for players to "inspect" the rack. Note: I said "inspect ONLY"....not figit with it or call for rerack.

Any and all decent pool players should learn "how" balls spread in different situations. Not just wackem and run-an-gun till last mans standing.

On the other hand, I hate to see a player take 5 minutes racking till they get it "wired" the way they want it.

It's simple, no matter the game:

Ref racks, breaker has short time to "look but not touch".....then get their ars to other end and break, no matter what they see in the rack cause it should be a template and everyone should have the same advantages AND disadvantages.

That, to me, takes a TON of the luck or unlucky rolls out of the game. Sure, luck will ALWAYS be a small part of the game.

On the other hand, at the highest levels, which is what I'm talking about, luck has far less to do with who wins than our local tournaments.

Don't let your bark be bigger than your stroke.

If I had plenty of money, I would probably lose more often.

Old
  (#11)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

04-22-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
True, but, I like for players to "inspect" the rack. Note: I said "inspect ONLY"....not figit with it or call for rerack.

Any and all decent pool players should learn "how" balls spread in different situations. Not just wackem and run-an-gun till last mans standing.

On the other hand, I hate to see a player take 5 minutes racking till they get it "wired" the way they want it.

It's simple, no matter the game:

Ref racks, breaker has short time to "look but not touch".....then get their ars to other end and break, no matter what they see in the rack cause it should be a template and everyone should have the same advantages AND disadvantages.

That, to me, takes a TON of the luck or unlucky rolls out of the game. Sure, luck will ALWAYS be a small part of the game.

On the other hand, at the highest levels, which is what I'm talking about, luck has far less to do with who wins than our local tournaments.
Not inspecting the rack before breaking puts all the players at a more equal footing, so if one or two racks happens to have a gap the player can exploit, it is not an advantage or disadvantage since nothing is known to either player except that the rack with the template will be as tight as can be expected. If a player looks over the rack and happens to find a gap, then that rack has an advantage to the breaker. If you don't look, you don't know, so it's still equal. You would practice with the rules of the tournaments, that was handed out weeks before the event, and learn the break with the rack they use with the rules they use. Rack them for yourself, don't look, go break, see what happens, repeat.

Now if they were racking with a standard rack that is much more likely to have issues with gaps, then I can see being able to look at the rack to prevent unfair breaks happening when there are gaps that cause a slug rack or odd result. With a template rack, I like the no looking at the rack rule. The goal should not be a perfect rack and break each time that is tailored to the breaker, but a fair and equal rack for both players. Template rack that makes it easy to freeze balls and neither player looking at the rack is fair and equal IMHO.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Last edited by hang-the-9; 04-22-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Old
  (#12)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

04-22-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolnut7879 View Post
Sounds crazy but I have an idea. Take two neutral balls and place them 1 diamond up and 1 diamond over where the balls are racked. They would basically block and prevent the wing balls from flying in and create more randomness. After the break simply take them off the table and play resumes from there.
I don't like that at all for standard games. Seems too much like the one pocket rule where they spot any ball made on the break. Which is not too bad for one pocket, but not a good idea for a rotation game. This falls under the "too much messing with the break" area like having the 3 point rule. 3 point rule I think causes more issues than it fixes, namely you can break hard, make a ball, but due to unlucky kisses up table end up not meeting the legal break rules.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#13)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

04-22-2019, 10:31 PM

hopefully now the era of rack mechanics and racking gamesmanship is over. seeing orcullo and corey do their bs has been completely unprofessional and disgraceful to the sport

wouldn't mind the three balls to kitchen rule though, but ref judgement has been good so far from what i have seen

Old
  (#14)
gxman
AzB Silver Member
gxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond repute

04-22-2019, 10:40 PM

Seems like Shaw is doing better not looking at the rack.

Old
  (#15)
StraightPoolIU
Brent
StraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

04-23-2019, 05:22 AM

I dig the rules. The break rules are not overly complicated, winner break is my favorite, the breaks are being hit hard, there is randomness to them, and a ball is not gauranteed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

"No bar, no bowling alley, no pinball machines. Just pool. Nothin else."

Playing Cue: 2003 Pechauer P15
Break Cue: Joss Thor Hammer (purpleheart with ironwood rings)
Jump Cue: OB Lift
Current Tip: G2
Shaft: OB Pro Plus

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: