Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How level is "level" for pool tables?
Page 3 of 13 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-03-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpoolleague View Post
I will bet it is not accurate enough. What brand is it?

I will bet that it is
You can see the graduations on it in my photo
Starret will measure the same

Much like cues, cheap ones will work just the same as expansive ones and beyond a certain point your just paying for a name and to be part of a club

I use import brand od mics for 10 yrs
They measure all the same as the starrets in the shop they have carbide tips, and they are much smoother than starrets

So again, ive got experience in this matter

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#32)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I will bet it is not accurate enough. What brand is it?
Those are good levels. My buddy uses one and its as accurate as his Staretts.

Old
  (#33)
sbpoolleague
World's #1 League Website
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinSlice View Post
And rolling them without the felt on is the best indicator. Over and over again. Across the seams in all directions at slow speed. When you cover the table you will no longer get a accurate reading since the felt is less than a perfect surface. So when trying to get a precision reading with the felt on you can forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
That makes no sense whatsoever. So you cherried out the level on the naked table...then what? You have to lift the slate out, install the felt, then put the slate back, then re-level the table because you moved the slate.

Old
  (#34)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Those are good levels. My buddy uses one and its as accurate as his Staretts.

Boom baby!!

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#35)
jviss
AzB Silver Member
jviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I can tell you that you are wasting your time using a regular level when leveling a table, unless you have purchased a very accurate, very expensive level.
Tables need to be leveled so that the angle is less than 0.01 degrees. Some engineer/machinist levels are more accurate than 0.01 degrees, but they are hundreds of dollars.
Most other levels available are only accurate to around 0.3 degrees, and laser levels are only accurate to around 0.03 degrees.
In my opinion, nothing is better than rolling balls on the table.
Balls and gravity don't lie.
Thanks for your reply. I think this is the first one that articulates a specification for level for the table, which you state, if I interpret it correctly, is 0,01. If my trig serves me well, that's 0.002"/ft., which I think is too strict; it's less than the sensitivity of the machinist's level the pros use, which is 0.005"/ft. So, maybe you are off my a decimal point? A spec of 0.1 would be 0.021"/ft., which seems more reasonable to me, and corresponds to what I read in the Brunswick Gold Crown I 1961 service manual. )The Starrett model 98, 8", 0.005"/ft. level goes for about $150, new.)

Old
  (#36)
jviss
AzB Silver Member
jviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
You have to lift the slate out, install the felt, then put the slate back, then re-level the table because you moved the slate.
Excuse me? That's not right. You don't move the slate to put the cloth on.

Old
  (#37)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense whatsoever. So you cherried out the level on the naked table...then what? You have to lift the slate out, install the felt, then put the slate back, then re-level the table because you moved the slate.
HUH???? You don't move slate to put on cloth. You obviously have never re-covered a table.

Old
  (#38)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
You have to lift the slate out, install the felt, then put the slate back, then re-level the table because you moved the slate.
I've never seen a table with lift-out slate...? All the recovers I've seen, the rails are put on after the cloth.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#39)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

06-03-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
I've never seen a table with lift-out slate...?

pj
chgo
No doubt....

Old
  (#40)
sbpoolleague
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
I will bet that it is
You can see the graduations on it in my photo
Starret will measure the same

Much like cues, cheap ones will work just the same as expansive ones and beyond a certain point your just paying for a name and to be part of a club

I use import brand od mics for 10 yrs
They measure all the same as the starrets in the shop they have carbide tips, and they are much smoother than starrets

So again, ive got experience in this matter
A 12" Starrett Machinists Level has an accuracy of 0.005 inches per foot. For a regulation table that equates to 0.0225 inches across the width of the table.
The WPA equipment specifications call for an overall flatness within .010 inches across the width of the table. Therefore the 12" Starrett Machinists Level is not accurate enough to do the job right.

Perhaps your level is. Do you know your level's accuracy?

Old
  (#41)
sbpoolleague

06-03-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
I've never seen a table with lift-out slate...? All the recovers I've seen, the rails are put on after the cloth.

pj
chgo
I am most familiar with bar tables, which you have to lift up the slate to put the felt on.

Old
  (#42)
sbpoolleague

06-03-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
HUH???? You don't move slate to put on cloth. You obviously have never re-covered a table.
On a 7' table you do.

Old
  (#43)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

06-03-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I am most familiar with bar tables, which you have to lift up the slate to put the felt on.
And you're worried about WPA specs???? Please. Every top mechanic i've ever seen uses 12" machinists levels. Mark Gregory sometimes uses six at a time.

Old
  (#44)
jviss
AzB Silver Member

06-03-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
A 12" Starrett Machinists Level has precision of 0.005 inches per foot.
Quote:
For a regulation table that equates to 0.0225 inches across the width of the table.
How did you come up with this?

Quote:
The WPA equipment specifications call for an overall flatness within .010 inches across the width of the table. Therefore the 12" Starrett Machinists Level is not accurate enough to do the job right.
You are confusing the specification for flatness of the slate with level of the playing surface.

Old
  (#45)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

06-03-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss View Post
How did you come up with this?

You are confusing the specification for flatness of the slate with level of the playing surface.
Yep. Flat and level are NOT the same thing. Slates are machined so each piece is FLAT. When assembled they are LEVELED.

Page 3 of 13 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: