Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How to retip cues...... without a lathe
Page 4 of 6 « First 234 56

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
How to retip cues...... without a lathe
Old
  (#46)
Tommy-D
World's best B player...
Tommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

How to retip cues...... without a lathe - 06-12-2007, 04:01 AM

> I agree 100%,the Porper burnisher is a piece of s**t. It will ruin tips and if used long enough will do some pretty nasty things to the ferrule as well. This is basically a glorifed joint protector.

> The Searing method where you use thin CA to seal the back of the tip works like this. You spread the glue out all over the sanded bottom,wait 2-3 seconds,and wipe with a clean paper towel. The back should have a uniform matte surface. Lightly sand this on a sanding block with 400,and use a thicker CA or one of the gel types to attach the tip. If done properly,and the ferrule is faced off flat,and don't have some cheapo import plastic ferrule,you can't take the tip off without cutting it off,pliers will cave it in before you twist it off. Tommy D.

"I'm going to try to work it out so at the end its a pure guts race.............because if it is..............I'm the only one that can win." Steve Prefontaine

Old
  (#47)
Irish634
Whatever
Irish634 has a reputation beyond reputeIrish634 has a reputation beyond reputeIrish634 has a reputation beyond reputeIrish634 has a reputation beyond reputeIrish634 has a reputation beyond reputeIrish634 has a reputation beyond reputeIrish634 has a reputation beyond reputeIrish634 has a reputation beyond reputeIrish634 has a reputation beyond reputeIrish634 has a reputation beyond reputeIrish634 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 289

06-12-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3andstop
shoot, I've been replacing my own tips for 40 yrs. I have something like that lathe. I put the shaft across my thighs and roll it with my left palm back and forth while I shape things with my right hand.

All this new fangled fancy stuff....
FWIW... I use this thing to roll my shaft for burnishing.... I figured it works well enough for arrows, why not my cue shaft.

Let's play horse. I'll pretend to be the front end, and you can just be yourself.

Old
  (#48)
JimS
Grandpa & his grand boys.
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4050
Location: Jim Sward 311 E. Main, Suite 317 Galesburg, Il 61401

06-12-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hit1der
Has anyone here tried using the Pocket Lathe to do tips? Just wondering how well it works since it looks like a very inexpensive alternative to getting a real lathe. Thanks.

http://www.pocketlathe.com/
Works fine.

"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eye and calls that humbleness."
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

"No nonchalantin at the pool table!" Sailor

Live like somebody left the gate open!

Old
  (#49)
JimS
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousNovice
Is the Porper tip burnisher shown in http://www.seyberts.com/cue_accessor...ages/step9.wmv a good alternative to simply using a piece of leather to burnish the side of the tip? Or is it better to just use the leather? In the video they mentioned the heat built up but in the first post RiverCity talked about how you should avoid heat. What is correct?

How does the Tiger "Insta-Cure+" glue compare to the LocTite Super glue?
Just use leather. Can't comment on the glue. I use Loc Tite gel.

"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

Old
  (#50)
DonFelix
AzB Silver Member
DonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond reputeDonFelix has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to DonFelix  
06-12-2007, 06:08 AM

good method

i use sandpaper, a cutter and a willard for the end-shape only and it works very well for me

Tip replacement ...
Old
  (#51)
gregoryg
AzB Silver Member
gregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond repute

Tip replacement ... - 05-19-2008, 08:41 PM

Been replacing my own tips for what seems like forever. Did it by hand for over 25 years until I decided to buy a lathe. Tips come out just as well as by hand, just takes less time now.

Playing cue, Tim Scruggs custom, 1 of a kind, my design, Scruggs hustler break cue, a bunch of Runde era Schon's

Old
  (#52)
Jule
AzB Silver Member
Jule has a reputation beyond reputeJule has a reputation beyond reputeJule has a reputation beyond reputeJule has a reputation beyond reputeJule has a reputation beyond reputeJule has a reputation beyond reputeJule has a reputation beyond reputeJule has a reputation beyond reputeJule has a reputation beyond reputeJule has a reputation beyond reputeJule has a reputation beyond repute

05-27-2008, 04:13 PM

Great posting! Thanks!

Old
  (#53)
trueblu8
Let that stroke out baby!
trueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to trueblu8  
05-27-2008, 09:41 PM

Very nice man! Thanks! They should sticky this thread. Also, nice job with the pics, they came out great. Very enjoyable to see someone's work that knows how to use a digital camera properly. I like the high gloss finish that you were able to achieve as well.

“Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and makes crimes out of things that are not crimes.” - Abraham Lincoln

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Last edited by trueblu8; 05-28-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Old
  (#54)
mullyman
Hung Like a Gnat!
mullyman has a reputation beyond reputemullyman has a reputation beyond reputemullyman has a reputation beyond reputemullyman has a reputation beyond reputemullyman has a reputation beyond reputemullyman has a reputation beyond reputemullyman has a reputation beyond reputemullyman has a reputation beyond reputemullyman has a reputation beyond reputemullyman has a reputation beyond reputemullyman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-27-2008, 09:46 PM

Yeah, I've done mine with a cutter knife, glue, and sandpaper for years. I don't sand my ferrules. Cut the tip off like you did above, then remove excess tip junk with the cutter knife, like you did above, sand the backside of the tip and glue it on. Sorry, I do have one more knife that has the blade running across the top rather than the side that I use to cut the sides of the tip down with.
MULLY

http://forums.azbilliards.com/signaturepics/sigpic10522_1.gif

Old
  (#55)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

05-27-2008, 10:02 PM

This is very good info. In the old days I would change tips with some sandpaper, a good knife, a file (optional), glue and a strong rubber band. No clamp required.

I would remove the old tip with a sharp bladed knife (or one sided razor blade). To sand down the ferrule I would turn the cue upside down and hold it straight up in the air. Then twist it around with a piece of sandpaper on the ground (preferably a flat surface like a linoleum floor). Try standing on the sandpaper to keep it from moving. Turning it this way kept everything smooth and even. I would then sand the bottom of the tip lightly, and then apply the glue (Tweetens preferred). I liked a good even (but light) coating across the entire surface. Same on the ferrule.

One of the keys is to let the glue get tacky first before putting the tip on. Then I would use the rubber band to clamp the tip. It can also be done with no rubber band. Just balance the cue in a corner butt end up. The weight of the cue is all you need to apply proper pressure. I'd leave it overnight this way. In the morning the tip was ready to be sanded and shaped. My most important tools were a four way file and a good shaper. I liked the long curved hard plastic ones, with one flat side.

I ALWAYS have a variety of sandpapers from coarse (100-200) to ultra fine (800-1200) on hand. I've done literally hundreds of tips this way and maybe one or two has ever come off. I would always do them for my customers no charge (or maybe $5). Just call it good customer service.

Last edited by jay helfert; 05-27-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Old
  (#56)
WGCP
JUST ANOTHER DAY
WGCP has a reputation beyond reputeWGCP has a reputation beyond reputeWGCP has a reputation beyond reputeWGCP has a reputation beyond reputeWGCP has a reputation beyond reputeWGCP has a reputation beyond reputeWGCP has a reputation beyond reputeWGCP has a reputation beyond reputeWGCP has a reputation beyond reputeWGCP has a reputation beyond reputeWGCP has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1600

Talking 05-28-2008, 12:31 AM

Wow, what a great post... Thanks guys

Old
  (#57)
JimS

05-28-2008, 04:13 AM

Using the Porper Big Shaver almost always caused me to nick the ferrule. I like the Porper Little Shaver or just use the utility knife. Haven't tried the plane blade idea yet but I like that idea.

Carlos Castenada

Porper Big Shaver
Old
  (#58)
dooziexx
AzB Silver Member
dooziexx has a reputation beyond reputedooziexx has a reputation beyond reputedooziexx has a reputation beyond reputedooziexx has a reputation beyond reputedooziexx has a reputation beyond reputedooziexx has a reputation beyond reputedooziexx has a reputation beyond reputedooziexx has a reputation beyond reputedooziexx has a reputation beyond reputedooziexx has a reputation beyond reputedooziexx has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1340

Porper Big Shaver - 05-28-2008, 07:39 AM

Execellent post. I retip my own personal cues using the same exact equipment and steps . The only issue I have is that the Porper Big Shaver will only fit a 13mm or close to 13mm tips. I use a 14mm tip (which I trim down to 13) and I have to trim a little off the tip first with a utility knife before it can fit into the big shaver.

Visit my website for great cues at rock bottom prices. SouthWest, Bender, Omega/DPK, BCMs, Schon, Predators & more: www.erikleecues.com

Name: Erik
Cue: Omega/Dpk
Hours of pool: 2-3/week
Games of choice: Too much of 8ball barbox pool

Old
  (#59)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-28-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy
That may not seem like much but by the 10th tip replacement you have taken off 1/4 mm.
But, not wanting to start an argument here, the money you saved yourself by re-tipping your own cue 10 times as opposed to letting someone charge you $25 or more every time would easily pay for a ferrule replacement job .

Maniac

P.S. RiverCity, I use blue Painter's tape instead of post-it notes.

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#60)
Schlosser Cases
Schlosser Cases
Schlosser Cases has a reputation beyond reputeSchlosser Cases has a reputation beyond reputeSchlosser Cases has a reputation beyond reputeSchlosser Cases has a reputation beyond reputeSchlosser Cases has a reputation beyond reputeSchlosser Cases has a reputation beyond reputeSchlosser Cases has a reputation beyond reputeSchlosser Cases has a reputation beyond reputeSchlosser Cases has a reputation beyond reputeSchlosser Cases has a reputation beyond reputeSchlosser Cases has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2009, 11:23 PM

Great post lots of good information!!!!

Page 4 of 6 « First 234 56

Tags
diy, how-to

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: