Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How to retip cues...... without a lathe
Page 5 of 6 « First 345 6

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#61)
Siz
AzB Silver Member
Siz has a reputation beyond reputeSiz has a reputation beyond reputeSiz has a reputation beyond reputeSiz has a reputation beyond reputeSiz has a reputation beyond reputeSiz has a reputation beyond reputeSiz has a reputation beyond reputeSiz has a reputation beyond reputeSiz has a reputation beyond reputeSiz has a reputation beyond reputeSiz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-05-2009, 04:04 AM

Excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Piper View Post
Ok the Porper's big shaver is kinda a dent in the wallet. what other tool is as efficient or as easy to use as that one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
You can use a razor knife to rough cut the sides, but you will still end up having to sand it down. On layered tips, I would be hesitant of cutting with a razor knife etc against the layers for fear of delamination problems.
I have always just used a sharp knife. Hold the cue vertically - tip downwards - and press firmly onto a solid surface. Then trim the tip using downward cuts. I have found that as long as my knife is sharp and I am pressing the cue down quite hard (in effect squeezing the tip between the ferule and your workbench), I do not have any delamination problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3andstop View Post
shoot, I've been replacing my own tips for 40 yrs. I have something like that lathe. I put the shaft across my thighs and roll it with my left palm back and forth while I shape things with my right hand.

All this new fangled fancy stuff....
Same here. Works fine and does not take long.

Cue tip machine
Old
  (#62)
spoonie
AzB Silver Member
spoonie has a reputation beyond reputespoonie has a reputation beyond reputespoonie has a reputation beyond reputespoonie has a reputation beyond reputespoonie has a reputation beyond reputespoonie has a reputation beyond reputespoonie has a reputation beyond reputespoonie has a reputation beyond reputespoonie has a reputation beyond reputespoonie has a reputation beyond reputespoonie has a reputation beyond repute

Cue tip machine - 08-06-2009, 02:03 AM

Has anybody used the williard tipping machine,if so,what did you think about it.

Old
  (#63)
JimS
Grandpa & his grand boys.
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4050
Location: Jim Sward 311 E. Main, Suite 317 Galesburg, Il 61401

08-06-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
Has anybody used the williard tipping machine,if so,what did you think about it.
They work great.

"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eye and calls that humbleness."
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

"No nonchalantin at the pool table!" Sailor

Live like somebody left the gate open!

Old
  (#64)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

08-06-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
Very nice tool. They do a good job, however, unless you plan on doing tips for other people and making a little money..... they are a little spendy.
Chuck

In any wager, there is a fool and a thief. Knowing ahead of time who you are, might just save you money.
Player: Joss
Breaker: Poison
Case: Instroke

Old
  (#65)
chefjeff
No sides, only players
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

08-06-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
Very nice tool. They do a good job, however, unless you plan on doing tips for other people and making a little money..... they are a little spendy.
Chuck
How much? Is that the $300+ device that weighs a ton?

Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#66)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

08-06-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjeff View Post
How much? Is that the $300+ device that weighs a ton?

Jeff Livingston
Last time I priced them they were in the 450 price range. Then you have to buy different collets for different sizes etc..
Chuck

In any wager, there is a fool and a thief. Knowing ahead of time who you are, might just save you money.

Old
  (#67)
8Ball48043
Addicted to the Sport
8Ball48043 has a reputation beyond repute8Ball48043 has a reputation beyond repute8Ball48043 has a reputation beyond repute8Ball48043 has a reputation beyond repute8Ball48043 has a reputation beyond repute8Ball48043 has a reputation beyond repute8Ball48043 has a reputation beyond repute8Ball48043 has a reputation beyond repute8Ball48043 has a reputation beyond repute8Ball48043 has a reputation beyond repute8Ball48043 has a reputation beyond repute

08-06-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie View Post
I will say that Sybert's has an entire deluxe retipping kit for about $60. Very nice kit and very similar to your instructions. it makes it very easy to do and they have downloadable step-by-step video instructions. I've done 3 tips so far with ZERO problems what so ever. And they have been profesional looking installs. That was one of the best pool investments I have made.
Do you have a link to that kit?

Regards, 8-Ball in South Florida

Cues: Arnot Bocote and Birdseye Matched set.
Jump Cue: Custom Bocote Jump Handle on Arnot T3 shaft with phenolic tip.
Cases: Castillo 3x6 Deerskin leather hard case and matching 2x4 soft case.

Find me on FaceBook. On Twitter. And, on YouTube.

Old
  (#68)
RafaReyes
Super Rafa
RafaReyes has a reputation beyond reputeRafaReyes has a reputation beyond reputeRafaReyes has a reputation beyond reputeRafaReyes has a reputation beyond reputeRafaReyes has a reputation beyond reputeRafaReyes has a reputation beyond reputeRafaReyes has a reputation beyond reputeRafaReyes has a reputation beyond reputeRafaReyes has a reputation beyond reputeRafaReyes has a reputation beyond reputeRafaReyes has a reputation beyond repute

08-06-2009, 01:22 PM

Awesome. Very informative. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this. I'll invest on the tools and do it my self from now on.

Thank you,

Rafael Reyes

Old
  (#69)
DelaWho???
Banger McCue
DelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond repute

08-08-2009, 06:46 AM

Great thread, glad I rediscovered this right when I was ready to learn how to do tips myself.

I am using the top sander and the porper big shaver.

I've got a friend whose cue has a loose ferrule on it. I want to remove it and reinstall or replace it. It seems all of the ferrule material available at Meullers is 14mm. Is a lathe required to do ferrules?

Does anyone have any experience with the Tweeten tenoning machine? The descriptiona says it can "trim the ferrule to fit" but I don't want to end up with a rough looking pos when I am finished. Is it worth the money and easy/effective to use?

Thanks for the input

Cues: McDermott D16 BILL000,M64D,BL03
Break: Bacote Jerico Stinger with I1 BigBoy
League: APA: Masters

Old
  (#70)
ArizonaPete
AzB Silver Member
ArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond repute

08-08-2009, 06:59 AM

Ferrules can be difficult. If it is just loose, you may be able to remelt the glue holding the ferrule by heating with a hair blower, thusly improving the bond. Be careful not to melt the ferrule. If you're set on replacing the ferrule, you still have to heat it to remove or cut if off. I think you're better off having someone do it for you.

Old
  (#71)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~

08-08-2009, 08:03 AM

If you can get the ferrule off the shaft, there is a possibility that you can reglue it, but you will have to make sure it is perfectly aligned. Gorilla glue should be used for this, since it will swell and help the fit of the tenon ti the ferrule.
If it is a good cue that he wants to keep playing with.... he really should have it fixed right by a repairman with a lathe. The tenon machine you speak of is halfway decent for house cues, but I would not use it on a personal cue. If youre careful you MIGHT be able to make it passable...... but its worth the 30-40 bucks.
Chuck

very nice job
Old
  (#72)
JTs cuerepair
AzB Silver Member
JTs cuerepair has a reputation beyond reputeJTs cuerepair has a reputation beyond reputeJTs cuerepair has a reputation beyond reputeJTs cuerepair has a reputation beyond reputeJTs cuerepair has a reputation beyond reputeJTs cuerepair has a reputation beyond reputeJTs cuerepair has a reputation beyond reputeJTs cuerepair has a reputation beyond reputeJTs cuerepair has a reputation beyond reputeJTs cuerepair has a reputation beyond reputeJTs cuerepair has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to JTs cuerepair  
very nice job - 04-20-2011, 06:18 PM

Nice job rivercity, very well done pictures and instructions on re tipping for those who need to know.. very big effort on your part...

Old
  (#73)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-20-2011, 07:44 PM

Very nice tutorial. Wouldn't know it wasn't done on a lathe.

Dela, Chuck is correct, the tenoning machine is basically for House Cues and you wouldn't be happy with the job it would turn out for yourself. They can cut new tenons and ferrules too.

The Willards is a decent machine. Just the same, the cutter is like a giant pencil sharpener and caution should be used as you can still take a chunk out of the ferrule if you're not watching.

There are many little devices out there, Porpers for example that basically duplicate what the Willards machine does for a fraction of the cost.

A person would be better off spending the money on a good repair lathe rather than a Willards. Then you have the freedom of also doing ferrules,
pin and insert changes, joint collars and butt caps, shaft maintenance, drilling and tapping etc. The only thing they can't do out of the box is build a cue. They can pay for themselves in no time and if its just a hobby, then you get a a lot of satisfaction out of just doing your own cues. Just hit the pawn shops and pick up a load of 5 dollar cues and go to town.

If anyone is interested, Todd (ts&b) something like that builds several different levels of repair lathes for a seriously great price.
His workmanship is second to none and a good guy to deal with.

Last edited by Blue Hog ridr; 04-20-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Old
  (#74)
Vahony
AzB Bronze Member
Vahony has a reputation beyond reputeVahony has a reputation beyond reputeVahony has a reputation beyond reputeVahony has a reputation beyond reputeVahony has a reputation beyond reputeVahony has a reputation beyond reputeVahony has a reputation beyond reputeVahony has a reputation beyond reputeVahony has a reputation beyond reputeVahony has a reputation beyond reputeVahony has a reputation beyond repute

04-21-2011, 08:50 AM

I recently had to put a tip back on my break stick. It had popped off during a break and I had a guy put a new one on. Well after about 10 breaks it popped off as well. Maybe it was the glue or maybe he was in a hurry to get the tip/ferrule prepped. I prepped the ferrule and tip with 400 grit paper. I then wrapped a post-it note around the shaft so that there was about 1/8" past the ferrule. Applied the locktite glue to the tip and ferrule and put the tip back on. I used a rubber band to hold it in place overnight. So far it hasn't come off again.

I used the post-it note so that I had a guide to line up the tip with the ferrule. I wasn't about to put it on without something to help line it up. It didn't line up perfect but you can't tell by looking at it, only by touch. There was a little glue that got on the paper but was easily removed with finger nail polish, diluted with water.

Old
  (#75)
Quatsch83
Learner
Quatsch83 has a reputation beyond reputeQuatsch83 has a reputation beyond reputeQuatsch83 has a reputation beyond reputeQuatsch83 has a reputation beyond reputeQuatsch83 has a reputation beyond reputeQuatsch83 has a reputation beyond reputeQuatsch83 has a reputation beyond reputeQuatsch83 has a reputation beyond reputeQuatsch83 has a reputation beyond reputeQuatsch83 has a reputation beyond reputeQuatsch83 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-28-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahony View Post
There was a little glue that got on the paper but was easily removed with finger nail polish, diluted with water.
I assume you meant to say nail polish remover...if not, then what color? lol

Page 5 of 6 « First 345 6

Tags
diy, how-to

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: