Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How to retip cues...... without a lathe
Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Dremel me!!
Old
  (#76)
Otterman
AzB Silver Member
Otterman has a reputation beyond reputeOtterman has a reputation beyond reputeOtterman has a reputation beyond reputeOtterman has a reputation beyond reputeOtterman has a reputation beyond reputeOtterman has a reputation beyond reputeOtterman has a reputation beyond reputeOtterman has a reputation beyond reputeOtterman has a reputation beyond reputeOtterman has a reputation beyond reputeOtterman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Dremel me!! - 04-29-2011, 07:16 PM

This is almost exactly the same process I've done on my own cues for 20+ years. I even use the exact same Loctite gel. The newer gel dries fast, maybe 30 seconds, so you have to get the tip on pretty quick, but I can trim the tip within just a few minutes. The only I do different is I use a hand-held Dremel tool for trimming and initial shaping of the tip. I use a 1 inch sanding disc and very carefully sand down the sides of the tip while rotating the cue to trim evenly. Once I'm very close to even with the ferrule, I use the Dremel sanding disc to bevel the top edges of the tip. This makes final shaping to dime or nickel radius much quicker and easier. I then use 600 grit to blend the tip with the ferrule. Finish with 1000 and 1500 grit, and burnish with a small leather piece. Professional results every time. Just don't flinch with the Dremel and gouge a huge hole in your ferrule or shaft.....

Old
  (#77)
chefjeff
No sides, only players
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

10-14-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
Has anybody used the williard tipping machine,if so,what did you think about it.
I talked to a local Mueller store guy this past weekend and he told me those are no longer available. He got the last one and now uses it to replace tips here in town vs. sending shafts to Lincoln to be done there.

fyi,

Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#78)
crazysnake
AzB Silver Member
crazysnake has a reputation beyond reputecrazysnake has a reputation beyond reputecrazysnake has a reputation beyond reputecrazysnake has a reputation beyond reputecrazysnake has a reputation beyond reputecrazysnake has a reputation beyond reputecrazysnake has a reputation beyond reputecrazysnake has a reputation beyond reputecrazysnake has a reputation beyond reputecrazysnake has a reputation beyond reputecrazysnake has a reputation beyond repute

10-14-2018, 04:27 PM

Dremel, sharp knife, sand paper 200-4000 grit, CA glue and NCF accelerator, and a piece of cardboard for burnishing.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Tags
diy, how-to

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: