Is Josh Filler the World's Best Pool Player?

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll just re-post this comment from another thread:

The best "tester" of determining the "best" player would be be a round robin format, where everyone plays everyone, and the winner of the most matches is determined to be the champion, and in case of a tie, either the total games won or a playoff race to 21 would determine the winner.

That's the format that was used way back when the World Championship was straight pool, and there were 8 or 12 players participating by invitation only.

You maybe could do this with 16 players with races to 11, which would be 240 matches in all, or a bit less than half as many as there were at the U.S. Open, and it'd be a lot more "fair" than any single or double elimination tournament.

Only one problem: How do you determine which 16 players get to participate? I'd go with 8 invitees (Filler, Shane, Wu, and 5 others) and the other 8 determined by play-in events, but that's just one possible suggestion. One thing's for sure: You'd sure get a lot of controversy!

And of course you'd also have to find a streaming service that could stream all the matches simultaneously, while giving viewers the option of switching from table to table. But if you could pull it off, it'd be the greatest event in the history of pool.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
As what happened with Shaw, earlier in his career, his shot making was so great, that his safety game wasn't top tier -- because it didn't need to be for him to still win.

Filler's safety game is also not top tier right now, but like Shaw, with more years of play, I suspect that his safety game will start to match some of the best in the game. And when that happens, look out! Then he very could be the best in the world.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As what happened with Shaw, earlier in his career, his shot making was so great, that his safety game wasn't top tier -- because it didn't need to be for him to still win.

Filler's safety game is also not top tier right now, but like Shaw, with more years of play, I suspect that his safety game will start to match some of the best in the game. And when that happens, look out! Then he very could be the best in the world.

Strongly disagree.

While I'll agree that Filler's defensive play was a little off at the US Open in the late rounds, I have seen a whole lot of his play and feel his defensive shot design and defensive shot execution are both exceptional, and, in my opinion, he's already one of the world's best few defensive players, definitely top five.

Good choices in defense, kicking and general tactical conceptualization are a big part of why Josh is succeeding. To dismiss him as lacking any of the skills he needs to win is, in my opinion, very mistaken.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Strongly disagree.

While I'll agree that Filler's defensive play was a little off at the US Open in the late rounds, I have seen a whole lot of his play and feel his defensive shot design and defensive shot execution are both exceptional, and, in my opinion, he's already one of the world's best few defensive players, definitely top five.

Good choices in defense, kicking and general tactical conceptualization are a big part of why Josh is succeeding. To dismiss him as lacking any of the skills he needs to win is, in my opinion, very mistaken.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. Filler's strength is his overwhelming shot-making ability, not his safety play. Shaw was the same way, and recently Shaw's safety game is right up there now with the best.

Filler = the younger Shaw right now.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. Filler's strength is his overwhelming shot-making ability, not his safety play. Shaw was the same way, and recently Shaw's safety game is right up there now with the best.

Yes, we will. Filler's defensive conceptualization is the best I've seen of a player under 25 since Alex Pagulayan in the late 1990's. Agreed about Shaw, whose tactical game remains underdeveloped. If you see these two as even similar tactically, you need to pay more attention.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he beats Alex at one pocket I will give him a trophy saying worlds best pool player
I mean $20,000 or more race to 30 cash

He sure sounds like the best but a challenge for big money and long race with the best could prove
it

for now i will bet on alex if they play one pocket

fluid is the word used to describe the temporary best Efren was more than fluid

I

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Yes, we will. Filler's defensive conceptualization is the best I've seen of a player under 25 since Alex Pagulayan in the late 1990's. Agreed about Shaw, whose tactical game remains underdeveloped. If you see these two as even similar tactically, you need to pay more attention.
Pool is a game where it can be argued, you're only as good as your last event or maybe match. And the US Open, Filler's safety play was subpar IMO.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
And the US Open, Filler's safety play was subpar IMO.

As I've already posted, with this I agree. He had a subpar defensive effort at Stage 2 of the Open in two of his matches. I don't agree that two poor defensive matches defines him. I suspect you already know that Josh has been winning big with great tactical play for the last two years. He thrives in the racks that are fought for and it has translated to a lot of wins.

If you think he has fallen off a cliff as a defensive/tactical player, I'm not sure why, but that's your sense of things and you are entitled to your opinion.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Those are impressive wins for sure. What are his losses though? I’d definitely put him in the top 5 and even money with any player alive.

There you go...I believe there is a list of players who are all "the best", depending on the day they play, how they feel on that day. Nobody really dominating as "the best" like Earl & Efren both did in their day.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now, while watching Filler over the last two years, I still think there is no greater closer than Filler late in tournaments.
You can see from his early loss at the US Open, like most young men, it takes a little to get motivated and focus, and when he does-unbelievable things happen.

At the world championships, he was down late to Biado in the finals and just got up to the table and became instantly dominant. The same happened in the finals of the US Open....Wu was leading and he just flipped a switch and never looked back.

Watching his body language and his handling of any situation at the table, from extreme offense to smothering defense--Filler just knows how to close. Even when he missed a 9 ball in the final match of the Mosconi Cup in 2017, you just knew he was going to win and he did...he's unshakeable, no matter how far back he is, or how intense the situation.

Where we have seen kinks late in tournaments by Shane, Jayson, Chang and Wu...Filler just knows how to close out. It's remarkable to watch.

Also, beware team USA with Filler being on team Europe for Mosconi Cup.
He could very well go 5-0 again for the mvp.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now, while watching Filler over the last two years, I still think there is no greater closer than Filler late in tournaments.
You can see from his early loss at the US Open, like most young men, it takes a little to get motivated and focus, and when he does-unbelievable things happen.

At the world championships, he was down late to Biado in the finals and just got up to the table and became instantly dominant. The same happened in the finals of the US Open....Wu was leading and he just flipped a switch and never looked back.

Watching his body language and his handling of any situation at the table, from extreme offense to smothering defense--Filler just knows how to close. Even when he missed a 9 ball in the final match of the Mosconi Cup in 2017, you just knew he was going to win and he did...he's unshakeable, no matter how far back he is, or how intense the situation.

Where we have seen kinks late in tournaments by Shane, Jayson, Chang and Wu...Filler just knows how to close out. It's remarkable to watch.

Also, beware team USA with Filler being on team Europe for Mosconi Cup.
He could very well go 5-0 again for the mvp.

I wonder how much of a part his absence played in our win last year?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how much of a part his absence played in our win last year?

In the back of my mind, I thought the same thing. The big distraction was the Mario He disqualification and replacement with Kazakis....but put Filler into that slot and it could've been an entirely different outcome.

Also, Euro Coach Marcus Chamat was in Vegas cheering on Filler and strategically seated behind Filler in a few matches--I saw this as mental chess, already creating the image of a victorious Euro player/coach on American soil. Foreshadowing? Touche, Mr. Chamat, well played, sir.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Also, beware team USA with Filler being on team Europe for Mosconi Cup. He could very well go 5-0 again for the mvp.

Unfortunately for Team USA, Filler's #1 World ranking will make it impossible for Coach Chamat to leave Filler off of Team Europe.

Still, just like everyone else, Filler is beatable, but Filler shines at the Mosconi Cup because late match pressure starts in Rack 1 of every match. Josh is awfully good at handling late match pressure.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately for Team USA, Filler's #1 World ranking will make it impossible for Coach Chamat to leave Filler off of Team Europe.

Still, just like everyone else, Filler is beatable, but Filler shines at the Mosconi Cup because late match pressure starts in Rack 1 of every match. Josh is awfully good at handling late match pressure.

Stu, maybe you would know more than anyone, but who was Josh Filler's main coach in his formative years. I saw Ralf Eckert congratulate him after winning the US Open, and wondered if Josh was one of his protege.

On post match interviews, Filler claims he's always nervous but it never shows and he has had some excellent sports psychology pedigree to remain that composed in the clutch...even little tells of hidden frustration like slapping the chalk on the table--it seems Joshua is immune to that.

But can you be born with that sort of composure or is it learned?

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After his Mosconi MVP performance....I couldn't stand him and thought he was overrated.

Then I watched him take on all comers including the Philipino's at the Derby....

Then he has basically won everything on the biggest pool stages in the world since.

Then he ran 285 on a Diamond. Taking on Shannon Murphy in banks....pretty much proves that this kid is absolutely fearless.....

Not only is he fearless....but he's not afraid of losing.

An obvious comparison is going to be Jayson Shaw. Does anyone think Filler would of backed out of an action match with Justin Bergman over which table they were going to play on??? The answer is NO.

BTW-This kid is 21 years old.....unbelievable.

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to pile on Jayson Shaw....no actually I kind of enjoy it..

Shaw has this total hard ass opinion of himself....as if he's calling out everyone in the world....but he's actually petrified of playing the best...let alone Justin Bergman.

Filler on the other hand looks like an IT student at your local Junior College.
Except Filler is and does call out everyone in the world...and then steps up and plays them.

This kid is a stone cold killer....he's got my vote for best in the world.

Did I mention he's 21 years old......

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, maybe you would know more than anyone, but who was Josh Filler's main coach in his formative years. I saw Ralf Eckert congratulate him after winning the US Open, and wondered if Josh was one of his protege.

On post match interviews, Filler claims he's always nervous but it never shows and he has had some excellent sports psychology pedigree to remain that composed in the clutch...even little tells of hidden frustration like slapping the chalk on the table--it seems Joshua is immune to that.

But can you be born with that sort of composure or is it learned?

I can't remember who Josh has a coach, but it's not Eckert.

I think composure is learned, but it is certainly influenced by the environment in which one is raised and in which one lives or does business. Nonetheless, I think that composure is more often a byproduct of confidence and, of course, confidence is a byproduct of preparation. From everything I've heard, Josh is a workaholic and that has given him his brash confidence.

Jack Nicklaus used to say that confidence is the stubborn belief that you are about to perform well. I think Filler might say the same.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is bizarre that he was left off the Mosconi team after being MVP the previous year. Did he piss somebody off in the meantime?