NEW pool room - Key West

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Verdict is in - Shooterz in Key West is finally open!
Hours are 11am-4am.
They've been open almost 1 month, and doing excellent business.
Food is amazing for a bar, tables are a touch spendy (15/hr), but in great shape and 1/2 during happy hours.

1st tourney is Aug 17th. BCA 8ball, double elim, race 3/2. Starts 1pm. Tourney is monthly, and will rotate 8/9 ball each month.

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 gold crown 1s, 2 9' imperiels, 1 12' Russian pyramid table.
Happy hour is 11am to 5pm and 1am to 3am

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to go to Stick and Stein 20+ years ago when I was stationed in Key West. Honestly it was a better sports bar than pool hall imo.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pennywise pound foolish. Nobody likes it, but as usual, you are correct.

Say what... time told that it is open and doing well, so how was that not incorrect?

Some of us will shooting on anything, absolutely, positively, anything. I even like variety (something I'm now missing with the Diamond rush), even to the point that I bought these little guys, which require an extremely clean hit (deflection is crazy!!).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-Pcs-M...ble-Billiard-Resin-For-Child-Toy/123790704560

Those little 1" balls are great!!! I'm amazed how well balanced they are, and actually properly round.

Last edited:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Say what... time told that it is open and doing well, so how was that not incorrect?

Some of us will shooting on anything, absolutely, positively, anything. I even like variety (something I'm now missing with the Diamond rush), even to the point that I bought these little guys, which require an extremely clean hit (deflection is crazy!!).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-Pcs-M...ble-Billiard-Resin-For-Child-Toy/123790704560

Those little 1" balls are great!!! I'm amazed how well balanced they are, and actually properly round.

I'm well aware that my standards for pool tables are different than yours :rotflmao1:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Did this room ever open? Headed there in a few days.

It still wasnt open when I was there last time

When I posted the page hadnt updated yet, see it's open but at $15/hr I'll just say no except for happy hr

Last edited:

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. 30 years ago, I lived in Key West. I think I only played pool once, the entire time I was there. Anyway, I just took a look at it on Google Maps, and holy crap it sure has grown. Real grocery stores, Home Depot, Hard Rock, Starbucks....what a difference. It was inevitable, I guess.

TonyFL

Registered
Did this room ever open? Headed there in a few days.

It still wasnt open when I was there last time

When I posted the page hadnt updated yet, see it's open but at $15/hr I'll just say no except for happy hr

Yes, it's open. On the corner of Flagler and Kennedy. $15 per hr is a bit steep if you want to go alone and practice, but it's the same price regardless of the amount of people. If you're going with 2 or 3 other people, it's about the same as other rooms. The next tournament is scheduled for January 14th - 9-ball. Starts at 1:00 and free practice starting at 12:00.
https://www.facebook.com/Shooterzkw/

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it's open. On the corner of Flagler and Kennedy. $15 per hr is a bit steep if you want to go alone and practice, but it's the same price regardless of the amount of people. If you're going with 2 or 3 other people, it's about the same as other rooms. The next tournament is scheduled for January 14th - 9-ball. Starts at 1:00 and free practice starting at 12:00.
https://www.facebook.com/Shooterzkw/
15bux/hr??? That would end pool for me. Tough to practice at that price. I guess its a tourist spot where the suckers don't really care.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
fifty years ago

15bux/hr??? That would end pool for me. Tough to practice at that price. I guess its a tourist spot where the suckers don't really care.

Funny thing, I remember rooms trying to get that price fifty years ago. Greenway wanted fourteen an hour to practice alone forty years ago. While I am as bad as anyone about coming in and playing on the daytime special, all of the costs of doing business have soared. Floor space, employees, insurance, licenses, pick an expense, any expense, and it is likely to be three to ten times higher than it was forty to fifty years ago. However, pool table time is as cheap, often cheaper, than it was fifty years ago.

The real issue for pool halls is that few can operate on a business model where they make money from pool. From a realistic standpoint, if the money has to be in food and drink why not make more room for customers who eat and drink? Can those pool tables compete with a band and a dance floor that can fit five to ten times as many people in the same space?

Long retired, I can't pay fifteen or twenty an hour table rates either. However, in keeping inline with other prices pool rates should be at least fifteen an hour, maybe twice that.

The real reason pool halls struggle is that pool players are unwilling to keep up with the times. That includes me but it doesn't change the situation from a business standpoint. A person has to love pool enough to subsidize their pool tables taking a loss. In terms of floor space, seven footers eat a lot, nine footers are a cancer.

Not an answer I like but pool's worst enemies are the players including me.

Hu

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll be in Key West in January and am going to check out the 12 ft Russian table. I think that is the one with the big balls. I hope they have Russian cue sticks.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I’ll be in Key West in January and am going to check out the 12 ft Russian table. I think that is the one with the big balls. I hope they have Russian cue sticks.

Unless they have another 12' table, the pictures on their web site so the 12' as being a snooker table.

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless they have another 12' table, the pictures on their web site so the 12' as being a snooker table.

They have only 1 12' table - it is not a snooker table - It is a Pyramid table. The balls are larger, the pockets are smaller, the cues are bigger/heavier. The pockets are reverse cut and approx 1/16" larger than the balls.

I did convince the owner to get a set of snooker balls - so the table CAN be used for snooker....but those pockets are so frickin tight (and reverse cut), it gets very frustrating.

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tues and Sat nights the 12' table gets alot of use from the local "russians". That table is $20/hr, and they have pyramid cues for use on the walls. Good luck.....that table/balls destroys my game for days.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks commswatch, planning on stopping in on either 1/9 or 1/10 in the afternoon to give that big table a try. You don’t get many chances to play on a 12 ft table these days. I’m looking forward to it. Plus I’m on vacation and I will find any excuse to hit some balls.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saturday $10 8B and 9B tournaments draw a good field of solid players. Locals and tourists.

I got to hit the big balls. Drove me crazy;

B960688C-9E43-4E63-89C9-BCE0543C6130.jpeg

E7AB2080-DD02-4F35-AEFC-1668432E86F8.jpeg

55A7A86A-E781-4ACA-BD88-2AF7827BBD3F.jpeg

838FA485-AE2A-4C36-A967-C1075E901161.jpeg

FD4B3F81-062A-496C-984A-0BF7EDB13FB7.jpeg

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Key west hasn't had a pool room in 7 years - and the most recent room was a joke.

Shooterz billiards and lounge will be open (supposedly) on Superbowl Sunday for its grand opening.

Room has 3 - GC 1's, 2 - 9' Imperials, and 1 12' Russian Imperial. It's not huge, but we're a small town with super-premium space. There is action in town, but they've crawled into the weeds after the last room closed down....they'll be back.

Come check us out!

Feel free to contact me if you want additional info.

With all that "new" equipment they better have a liquor license or this "new" pool hall will last one lease period.