Who makes the best low deflection shaft?

CHAZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second that I have a predator blak with a z2 I also have a 314-2 shaft and I use a ob pro on my blak it works the best for me I am very happy with it. A lot also comes down to personal preference.

Catamount

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best I've found is the SS360 from Bob Danielson of BD cues. It transfers more energy to the cue ball, and has more feel than other LD shafts I've tried (Predator 314 2, OB Classic, Gulyassy SPTX, Jacoby Hybrid Edge).

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried the Danielson, Predator, OB, Jacoby, and several others.
Don't like the Danielson and the Jacoby didn't do it for me but I always like the Pred's and the OB's.
In the OB line I like the OB1 over the OB Classic but I also like the 314^2.
Probably because I'm just very used to them.

RSCA HOOLIGAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best I've found is the SS360 from Bob Danielson of BD cues. It transfers more energy to the cue ball, and has more feel than other LD shafts I've tried (Predator 314 2, OB Classic, Gulyassy SPTX, Jacoby Hybrid Edge).

I'll second that

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i'd say Ronnie Powell of queperfect cues makes the best low deflection shaft. after that i'd say it would be John Barioni and after that it would be Bob Danielson. his SS360 shaft is amazing. it's plays just like the old predator shafts but with more feel. i love the feel of his shafts. they give you the same satisfying vibration you get from striking a ball well with the original 314 shafts

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it`s pointless to state my prefrence, as the previous posters have proven how diverse opinions are.
The big players: OB and Predator both have their fans and i tend to notice that people who like OB shafts don`t like Predator and vice versa..
Then you have all the other products from Mezz, McDermott, Lucasi, Katana, Tiger etc.
Most of us have not had the possibility to try all these shafts, atleast not in any extensive way and with the same butt, so it`s almost impossible to do a real accurate comparison.
If you google LD shaft rating you will find a scale, where most popular shafts are tested in regards to how much squirt the shafts have.
The test says nothing about feel, sound, price, availability, quality etc.
So it`s limited knowledge you can derive from this.

The only way to be sure is to test as many shafts as you can.
Remember that a LD shaft will not make you a pro over night. Infact i think that LD shafts is mostly marketing, but you should never overlook the importance of the feel good factor.
Personally i used the Mezz hybrid II for a couple of months, and it`s among the most expensive shafts on the market and i did not like it!
However the Mezz WX900 has a great feel, but still a hit that is a bit too stiff for me.
So i ended up buying the cheapest LD shaft on the market: The Katana shaft and I`m very happy with it, it feels and sounds like a regular maple shaft, it has a short 12.5mm ferrule and comes in all the normal thread patterns.

So if you don`t have the posibillity to try alot of LD shafts, the Katana shafts are very cheap ($160) so it`s not a huge loss if you don`t like it.

bellmagic

Registered
I've tried all the LD shafts out there, but have found that for me, the OB 1 seems to play the best, and has a very good "feel". I did change the tip to a Kamui Black hard, and think that's a very good combination.

customcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cem LD

I tried near all LD shafts like the Pred's, OB's, Sharpshooter, all Mezz and more.
List will be to long. The best for my Play was the Pred Z2, which I played the last
7 or 8 years on all my cues.
But sinceI got my Cem cue with his newest full maple LD shaft I stitched to it.
It's maple with his taper, special ferrule material and a hole in the front.
This shaft is awesome and it's hard to discribe how it works and play.
But it has ließ deflection and more feel like the Z2 and this with a 12,4mm tip
diameter. Thought it was luck to get a shaft like this. But tried now arround
20 of his shafts with tip diameter from 12,4mm to 12,75mm and all have with
only a little difference the same way to play.

alojz_ferluga

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'd say Ronnie Powell of queperfect cues makes the best low deflection shaft. after that i'd say it would be John Barioni and after that it would be Bob Danielson. his SS360 shaft is amazing. it's plays just like the old predator shafts but with more feel. i love the feel of his shafts. they give you the same satisfying vibration you get from striking a ball well with the original 314 shafts

Ronnie Powell is not responding to mails (maybe I should order a 10.000$ cur to get his attention), much the same for Barioni.
Bob is a nice person and willing to help.