"draw for show, follow for dough"

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any wisdom in this cliche or is it merely a statement of sour grapes for people who can't draw?

av84fun

Banned
berlowmj said:
Is there any wisdom in this cliche or is it merely a statement of sour grapes for people who can't draw?

Most the latter IMHO. I assume the quote refers to SUPER-draw...2 table wowiezowie draw shots that hardly ever come up in actual play and I would agree in that context.

But within the context of "normal" shotmaking, I believe that most experts would agree that precision draw distance control is more difficult than follow distance.

Regards,
Jim

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
berlowmj said:

This is one of my mantras...LoL. I draw just fine, but I would have to say that I have bagged more wins with a follow shot. :)

Lisa

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
a little bit true

If I have to muscle the ball to get where I am going with draw or follow, and I can get where I am going with draw or follow, I will usually choose to follow, because I can use a more level cue and just feel better about it. Other than that case, I think this saying does not make sense to me.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
In my experience.. the cue ball leave angle on a follow shot is far more predictable then the leave angle on a draw shot.

the 30 degree rule is your friend. he never lets you down.. natural lines will always be more consistent than "created" lines.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
softshot said:
In my experience.. the cue ball leave angle on a follow shot is far more predictable then the leave angle on a draw shot.

the 30 degree rule is your friend. he never lets you down.. natural lines will always be more consistent than "created" lines.
Good man. Sounds like you've been playing for a while. Only time and experience teaches us this.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
dabarbr said:
Good man. Sounds like you've been playing for a while. Only time and experience teaches us this.

thanks man ..

the 30 dergee rule is also why I am a big fan of the drag shot.. hit bottom timed to run out of backspin the at same distance from the object ball that you want to follow with the cue ball after impact. it saves your ass on long end of table to end of table shots where you need gentle follow to get shape on the other corner at that end of the table.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
berlowmj said:

I've never even heard that saying. I've heard "drive for show and putt for dough", but never the one you just mentioned. IMO, there is no wisdom in that saying. You draw the ball when you need to draw it and you follow it when you need to follow it. One isn't "better" than the other. It might be a little easier to control speed when rolling the ball forward but, again, the shot should call for follow for you to actually consider following it.

Now, if I have ball-in-hand, for all my dough, and I am faced with a shot where I could legitimately use follow or draw, I would follow the ball because, like I said, it is easier to control the speed (for me, anyway).

Last edited:

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
A pretty good instructor I once had said you should shoot with the following preferences:
Whenever possible just shoot with natural roll,
If that doesn't solve the position problem, look for a solution using follow,
If all else fails, use draw.

He could draw precisely as far as he wanted whenever he wanted and fwiw that was his instruction.

Last edited:

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
berlowmj said:

I think there is a good deal of wisdom in that thought.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have made a lot more money off of draw shots

berlowmj said:

Sour grapes! I absolutely love draw shots and have made far more money off of draw shots than follow shots. Of course if you want to split hairs I wasn't the one shooting the draw shots.

Like the instructor mentioned earlier, first I look to see if I really need to put anything on the cue ball. Then what do I need to put the least of to get the result I want. The more we have to muscle the balls, draw, follow, side, it doesn't matter; the more likely we are to not get the results we want. When someone really juices the ball it is usually with draw. In my opinion overuse of the draw shot is one of the most common weaknesses in nine ball players games.

Hu

PoolSponge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My take is that when you are playing on a tight pocket table draw tends to be the spin that pockets reject the most at speed. I remember watching the US Open and Rodney Morris was in the booth. When a player was forced to a fairly straight in shot up the rail and given the option of both follow or draw Rodney made the comment that in this shot situation the follow was the correct choice given that at that angle the force required to spin the cue ball back would have a high percentage chance of hanging up. Sure enough the player tried the draw, hit a good stroke, and the ball stayed up.

I prefer my draw stroke, but I remember well the wise words of Rodney and pay close attention to the demands of the shot (pocketing) when making my decision.

I also agree that using the natural path of the cueball will give more reliable results and problems like a miscue or nervous jabbing will be removed.

JMHO

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
The best responce so far, IMHO..

SPINDOKTOR

PoolSponge said:
My take is that when you are playing on a tight pocket table draw tends to be the spin that pockets reject the most at speed. I remember watching the US Open and Rodney Morris was in the booth. When a player was forced to a fairly straight in shot up the rail and given the option of both follow or draw Rodney made the comment that in this shot situation the follow was the correct choice given that at that angle the force required to spin the cue ball back would have a high percentage chance of hanging up. Sure enough the player tried the draw, hit a good stroke, and the ball stayed up.

I prefer my draw stroke, but I remember well the wise words of Rodney and pay close attention to the demands of the shot (pocketing) when making my decision.

I also agree that using the natural path of the cueball will give more reliable results and problems like a miscue or nervous jabbing will be removed.

JMHO

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
I use the go with the flow philosophy on shots, meaning the natural angle if possible. As for draw versus follow it depends on the next ball and what I feel most comfortable to get it there.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a perfect example of someone who takes advantage of this would be a BIH situation like below. You go this way and so little can go wrong. If you draw, you're taking a bit of a risk - admittedly, a small risk but added risk nonetheless. Follow is more accurate and natural which means you're far less likely to miscue.

CueTable Help

av84fun

Banned
PoolSponge said:

JMHO

I don't think that draw spin is the issue but rather the force itself. Except on very short shots any spin transfer from cb to ob will dissipate quickly and become natural roll leaving force as the only issue when the ob reaches the pocket.

Regards,
Jim

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Let's see. I think when drawing the ball two feet gives you a simple stop shot for the dough, while following two feet gives you a cross-corner bank, I would draw for the dough.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
berlowmj said:
It's a misguided statement that has good intentions. You could just as easily say, "force follow for show, draw a couple of inches for dough," or something silly like that.

Without the ability to control a draw shot, this game would reduced a very boring game.

Fred