Have a drink or pass?

asmith74

Where I pay homage
Silver Member
I?m just curious on everyone?s opinion on this issue. I?ve found that my pool game is at 80 to 100 percent (given the dead stroke or not) when completely sober. However, when I indulge in alcoholic beverages my game drops considerably. Am I alone in this or is this the norm? I?m 33 now and back in my early 20s I could drink and control the table for as long as I wanted. Maybe I was just beating other drunks. The more I learn about pool the more I come to realize that it?s a very cerebral game. Is it just me or does even one drink throw your game off?

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back when I still drank, over 30 years ago now, more than a couple and I couldn't give my grandmother the 7.

Last edited:

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
you'll definitely play consistently better sober. however part of maturing your game I feel is being able to have the odd beer whilst playing if offered for example, and not having it throw you off your game. obviously the maturity comes in in not having any more than the one, and not allowing the psychological aspect of the fact you're having a beer put you off.

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
Well, you have to balance the alcohol out with the right amount of crack. That is when things heat up on the pool table!
TyroneBigguns-thumb.jpg

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I always so Keith with a beer in his hand so alcohol probably has an affect on his game. Without it he probably couldn't shoot.

I think some will have a few but not enough to adversely affect their game.

Most of the players on the teams that I play on will usually only have one before their match. I think too much will make you play sloppier and make dumb choices.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I drink when I play, why not? I understand that I will never be a pro (nor do I have the desire to be one) and I play for fun now. It never gets over $20 a rack for me. I enjoy drinking while I play since it is mostly a social outing for me:D.

madhaterm3

will work for food
Silver Member
i normally wait to drink until i'm done playing seriously... then it's just fun and games.

burns420

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i find if i have just a few(usually 2 pints and a shot) before i play i seem to play a bit better. obviously if youre drunk its not going to go your way though but a few for some people works while for others it doesnt

Half_Cut

Registered
A little can go a long way. A little stress makes you focus. To much stress can cause you to tighten up. Balancing this with a few beer is not necessarily a bad thing. If you get it wrong you can become reckless and start taking on the low percentage shots when you should be playing a safety.

If all else fails you can always fall back on the fact that beer builds better bodies. :D

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
asmith74 said:
I?m just curious on everyone?s opinion on this issue. I?ve found that my pool game is at 80 to 100 percent (given the dead stroke or not) when completely sober. However, when I indulge in alcoholic beverages my game drops considerably. Am I alone in this or is this the norm? I?m 33 now and back in my early 20s I could drink and control the table for as long as I wanted. Maybe I was just beating other drunks. The more I learn about pool the more I come to realize that it?s a very cerebral game. Is it just me or does even one drink throw your game off?
I'm the same way. One drink will put me off enough that I don't want to compete. I don't drink often enough to be able to play through it. I try to go to the poolroom when I'm well rested and ready, not tipsy and loose.

MinoInADixeCup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to think that I had to have 2 or 3 before I could get loose enough to shoot well, and it was probably true at the time. Now though, the more time I spend practicing sober, the less I drink during my matches.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Coffee is the worst for me. I drink a couple cups in the evening and for about an hour or 2 my grip is just steering wheel tight. I have to think about relaxing my hand before a shot. It also has an adverse effect if your adrenalin gets running, prolonging that jittery feeling and faster heart rate.
A beer or 3 doesn't seem to have any detrimental effect on my abilities ( :rolleyes: ) but continued consumption put my game in the hamper at about 6 beers.

Banger

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Never drink while playing

I never drink while playing pool. I always have to put the beer down while stroking. I can't seem to be able to hold the butt and the beer at the same time without spilling some. :D :D

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
It's puff puff pass..... you're messing up the rotation! That can get ya shot in this neighborhood

Banger

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
asmith74 said:
I?m just curious on everyone?s opinion on this issue. I?ve found that my pool game is at 80 to 100 percent (given the dead stroke or not) when completely sober.

I only drink Non Alcohol Beverages when playing Pool, as Alcohol make me have fuzzy vision.

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I have one beer, Im ok. Anything more then that (like this past friday) and its not pretty.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
asmith74 said:
I drink when I play. There were a few years that I made an effort to not drink while playing, but I found that I wasn't having as much fun. So, I drink.

I drink during league. I drink during tournaments. Oddly enough, I rarely drink at home.

Could I do better if I didn't drink? At this stage of my life, it reallly doesn't matter. Plus, I've won an awful lot of big amateur tournaments in my area to stop now. I'm not going pro any time soon, so I've got the best of it, IMO.

Fred <~~~ have drink, will play (of course, I've all but quit this game)

Last edited:

a9ballbr8k

Don't anger my stakehorse
Silver Member
Ok here is the skinny for me:

At a bar on the box, I usually end up being asked to play for a beer a game. Usually my previous opponenet is at the bar ordering my drink while I'm most of the way through the next game/opponenet. They can't line them up for me fast enough!!! When I play bangers at the bar I can get as drunk as I want and still plow through them. There is usually a couple of decent players but they are still pretty much bangers.

At the hall, I tend to takes things more serious. I mean I do have fun, but don't want the alcohol to affect my abilities. I don't want to have to blame my drinking on the reason I missed a shot or made a poor judgment call. I usually get there and scope out the scene and have a beer......meaning my one and only. Then I find someone to play some sets (most of the time cheap 10-20 sets)

Last edited:

George

Balance is everything
Silver Member
I drink when I play in my league, it's a night out and a couple of beers doesn't bother me one way or the other. Tournaments are a different animal though. For a tournament I know it will be a very long day so as a rule I don't drink until it's pretty late if at all.

Attachments

• eggtime.gif
    eggtime.gif
    22.3 KB · Views: 158

asmith74

Where I pay homage
Silver Member
MinoInADixeCup said:
I used to think that I had to have 2 or 3 before I could get loose enough to shoot well, and it was probably true at the time. Now though, the more time I spend practicing sober, the less I drink during my matches.

Yeah I agree, that's the whole reason the question came to my mind. I used to just shoot pool at bars so drinking was just part of it. Now I have a table at home and spend more time at halls where they don't serve beers. It really made me notice the difference in my game. I think I may do tournaments and league play without a drink and have a few when it's just time to hang out and shoot for fun.